81 replies to this topic

#46 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 15 August 2021 - 12:07 AM

vgtCSHSS_o.png
Here's the healer, which is nice because I just spent a lot of MP gathering sprite frames.

2KSHgYtK_o.png
I expect we'll be seeing this screen again. I wonder if Surfacing will work today.

The next screen is just like this, but with four rocks instead of two. Hmm.

o38dpozz_o.png
I sure hope this young man isn't up to no good.

Kools:
"We have to get to Knack and the others as soon as possible, but I can't get there in time...
I've heard you can use the same tricks as Limestone Caves to get through."

Oh. Carry on.

RJCu0GfR_o.png
Kools:
"There are two types of quicksand: fast and slow.
With the faster kind, if you use 'Quick Pace,' you can fight back against it.
You can learn Quick Pace through Rogue*."

So, uh...I'm wondering if I should have called my current Thief class a Cat Burglar or something. The class she's referring to is a completely different one that I don't have and don't know anything about. Naming classes is hard when I don't want to steal a name that would have been better for a later class I haven't heard of yet. Hmm.

7Fz8w7u0_o.png
Guess what! Surfacing does nothing!

I bounce over to my Cat Burglar Thief and grab the item. It's Delicious Water. Water and consumables: two things the skill system bungles, tasting great together.

gWQMxt5Q_o.png
A purple swan and a funky corsola. The corsola spits sets of three homing...rocks? bubbles? at me. The swan chills out when it's on the water, but gets on land and charges me if I'm too close.

I actually can enter the water--but only from that one spot where the edge tiles are different. Surfacing is not required to do this.

fqAVR9lp_o.png
I make my way over to the two-rock room. The game actually makes you start over, teleporting you back to the ledge, if you beat all enemies in the wrong order. I don't think it did that in Limestone Caves.

Ranged weapons are so fucking strong in this game. I've built up the skill points, so I grab License21. I'm sticking this shit on every single class I play from now on.

Then I clear the three and four rock rooms. This gives me a shortcut back to where the healer was.

PmDlXu17_o.png
The north door there is open too now. I make way way through it, and then remember to take a screenshot and poke my head back for just a second.

f8mw5Pda_o.png
I think this quicksand is supposed to be a trap, but it's really easy to get back onto land by moving diagonally.

The joke is still on me, though, it's a consumable.

I also head left for a second and grab the giftbox on that other screen from before, with the corsolas. It's also a consumable.

WDNXxiHm_o.png
Killing things is super easy and I've got C rank in Archer, so I switch to Cat Burglar for a while to try to figure out how the fuck to sort these names out. I give myself License21, obviously.

There is no south exit on this screen, even though there looks like there is. Oh well.

The east exit brings me to the left side of that much earlier screen, where my Kools fellow traveler talked about quicksand. The giftbox contains curry, which is a useful thing that I would definitely eat if I found it in a moldy cave.

AZM177f3_o.png
Hmm.

I can't reach that switch from here, but I can go around. And that opens the east door.

It's odd, I think that being a thief or otherwise having a speed class was mandatory here? I don't care enough to change classes and check if that was slow or fast quicksand, but it definitely FELT like the fast kind. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't A-ranked Ronin to get here.

qB7FKM8E_o.png
The gift contains tonkatsu. The warp...

ToTMoL5X_o.png
...takes us to stairs.

jYGr1tGg_o.png
The stairs go here.

Oh god, it's a multiscreen conveyor maze.

zn3yloLS_o.png
I don't know what this button is, but I pressed it!

yL5G9cYK_o.png
Oh, it opened the route to these stairs.

Incidentally, those dung beetles are really, really irritating on quicksand.

oLpNZGUt_o.png
I go through here, dispatching some corsola I didn't take a screenshot of.

VSAHw6Yg_o.png
Same with the torch and dung beetle here.

bGaBQHfg_o.png
This giftbox contains a dagger. Better than a consumable, but man, I already have the best weapon.

a4X6JW8v_o.png
I take this path, going against the quicksand. I'm not sure it's actually possible to dodge those torches' fireballs here. Oh well.

This brings me to those stairs I opened the path to.

feWBfEjw_o.png
This gift contains a Brooch. It seems to prevent the Slow-Footed condition.

The warp opens a path back to the starting room with the healer.

js0W05D2_o.png
The lower left path is an immediate warp that leads me here. Hitting the switch creates another switch on the right. I don't think I can do anything about this place without multiplayer.

ObqUPZDy_o.png
Here's the north path. I fight the corsolas in case it creates a switch, but it doesn't. The same thing is true in the next room, except with torches instead of corsolas.

VXlwQJYX_o.png
This screen, however, seems to have a trap. That in the bottom left is visible, but not accessible until I beat up those clouds. But there's another warp on the screen that is accessible. (It disappeared when I beat them, this screenshot was taken after I came back to the screen.)

kyPk8Xxs_o.png
Bob: "Looks like the whole town's in a panic.
I think it's time to let that monster out. We'll make them panic even more."
Knack: "...... ......"

uoI8CLKY_o.png
That teleporting Kools from before warps in.

Bob: "What's wrong?"
Kools: "I'm sorry! The monsters from the Pyramid have been cleared out!"
Bob: "What the hell? Then let this one loose, fast! We'll whip these townies and pampered local Kools into a frenzy whatever it takes!"

h5Q5Oy1J_o.png
Here I am!

Bob: "Who's this?"

zNhKBKJi_o.png
>"It's her!
She's the one who fought through the Pyramid!"
Bob: "Those monsters against a kid like this...
As expected of a Kools trooper.
Huh? You...
I've seen you somewhere before...
...Of course I'd have seen you, if you're a Kools member."

Ugh stop trying to recognize me, I'm a shapechanger!

rgYjI9Rm_o.png
Bob: "All right! Let's let this monster out! He can deal with this little scoundrel first, and then run wild in the city!"
Bob teleports out.
Knack: "......"
Knack teleports out. The minion runs off to the north.

JqR1VSgj_o.gif
Yeah, you better run.

Spoiler

Edited by Ether, 15 August 2021 - 12:46 PM.

• SkyLizardGirl likes this

#47 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 15 August 2021 - 12:17 PM

Before the fight, I equip the Thief passive Rararan, the speed-boosting one. I...think it works?

jF0WCwVq_o.png
It's a scorpion on a conveyor belt hell floor.

H4MrAk9A_o.png
He never moves. When you hit him, it disrupts any attack he was about to do. I think the fight is designed to have the main threat be from the conveyors pushing you into him or his attacks as you try to stab him.

I have range. I really don't think this game was balanced with range in mind.

ccgGRtxM_o.png
I can keep him stunlocked without breaking a sweat. Eventually I realize that I still have to do a spritesheet for him, so I run a few literal circles around him so he can have a chance to attack.

He shoots out spines from his tail. I think they're supposed to be poisonous. I wouldn't know, seeing as I took no damage during this fight.

XFAIHQhH_o.png
Katol would have probably been fine, really.

SOJSSFUb_o.png
That Kools mutineer teleports in when I'm done.

Kools:
"It happened again...
Who the hell is this girl?"

uElf4NUw_o.png
He's out.

UMryhumV_o.png
Here's the scorpion's sheet, it's another one that won't work out of the box.

Anyway, I head back south to grab the giftbox. Warabite, some kid of sparkly katana. Its description suggests that anyone can use it, but this doesn't seem to be true. And why would I want to?

I leave.

aJVnSJG5_o.png
Looks like the fires are gone.

Old Man:
"It was you who put out the city's flames, wasn't it?"
>yes
"I knew it!
I'm surrounded by these barren patches of ground see?
If you stand on them, something good will happen."

Let's try it!

4jeLEaW1_o.png
A flashy sword!

It looks like you can only get one. And I don't like swords. So I rewind and try the other patches. They're a Heavy Spear, a Umeboshi, and a Ring Dagger.

I go to Shokuan. He has nothing for me. I ask him what I need for the classes I can get, and:

オラクル Oracle, via Witch
クイーン Queen, via Samurai Girl
コマンドー Commando, via Yone
くま Bear, via Woodcutter (....huh.)
そうへい Warrior Monk, via Scamp
とうぞく Rogue (the other one), via Thief.
くのいち Ninja, via Double Agent
はなびし Pyro, via Carpenter
コック Cook, via Carpenter
ハンター Hunter, via Archer

I have C ranks in both Cat Burglar Thief and Archer, so it looks like standards are very high for those classes. I actually have every single skill in Thief except that 150 point one, so I guess ranks are a function of relative skill points spent, not just how many skills you've taken.

...I revert to an earlier save state and hold onto my Thief skill points from the centipede fight instead of spending them. I've made A rank in classes without getting all the skills before; might as well see if the expensive skill gets me where I need.

7QQjazSW_o.png
With the flames gone, traversing the city gets faster. Checking in on the local Kools is much easier.

euDPcumA_o.png
Man:
"The Kools are amazing, aren't they?
There are no more monsters now, and the flames are gone too."

There are, in fact, exactly as many monsters on the overworld as there were before. Although the flames mean you don't have to fight your way through them to get from Point A to Point B anymore, so I guess that counts.

B3VvAANr_o.png
Kools:
"Heh...
You're finally back."

rBHvmom2_o.png
Kools Guy:
"Thank you! Thank you for everything! Thank you so much!"
Kools Girl:
"I'm gonna work harder and harder to be as great as you! I won't let you down!"
Kools Officer:
"It's a good thing you've got such a keen eye. Thanks to you, this town has been saved.
Thank you so much."

DpVWki1g_o.png
City travel is much faster now, but I still get some fights in, and that pushes me to the 150 skill points I need to buy the expensive thief skill. This instantly launches me from E rank to B rank. That still doesn't unlock the class, though, seems like I need an A for that. This had better be good.

ZKzwaCL4_o.png
And here's our exit.

There's a gift here and a gift a little left of here. That one is Koala Seeds. This one contains traditional Chinese medicine.

LihzgNop_o.png
It's time to press onward.

Spoiler

#48 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 16 August 2021 - 07:06 PM

yt76QOub_o.png
Sign:
STEPPES OF THE SANQUE MOUNTAINS

xpFNg7XP_o.png
Stepping on this patch of ground creates a giftbox on the other side of the screen. The gift is a Capsule. At this point in the game, it finally occurs to me to find out what it is that Capsules do.

mzSOT56N_o.png
"When you use it, your max HP increases."

Oh, huh! I should have really figured this out sooner. I wonder if there's a corresponding MP one.

Most items in the consumable section of my inventory aren't usable, since they can only be used through the Normie signature. I scroll through the section looking for items that have a Use option (つかう) on top of the other three (Explanation, Store, Drop).

I don't find any MP boosters, but Kanpo, the traditional Chinese medicine I mentioned in the last update, boosts STR. Can't hurt.

I pop all the pills and I feel fucking great.

xicRnFyL_o.png
The flower sort of shuffles toward me and spits three seeds at me. Bumping into it puts me to sleep. I can still cast Repair while asleep to remove status effects.

baAzZcZx_o.png
Sign
"Be sure to set a recovery move for one of your 4 buttons.
-Kools Boss Yang"

LK3Xp4oj_o.png
Sign:
STEPPES REST AREA

dP4XpDy5_o.png
Old Man:
"Huh? Anpo? You're a long way from home.
If you're trying to get to Anpo, you can't reach it without crossing the mountain."

He also recommends that I talk to the old woman to get some rest, which is what talking to her does. The translators say that he refers to her as "my grandmother," suggesting that she might be an immortal.

Old ladies are very powerful, you know. The wealthy aristocracy in this setting is also made up entirely of old ladies. I'm just saying.

yEqN4rE0_o.png
These fluffy pink sheep monsters are entirely unfazed by my arrows, and they try very hard to get up in my face. I look up the description:
"The little sheep that lost her mommy. She'll follow me anywhere."
I...can attack it with knives or whatever, but it tries to get away if I do that. I don't have the heart for this. I use the knives to get it to move out of my way, and then move onward.

1sj6Vsyv_o.png
Ugh, more fire. Where's the scorpion I have to kill this time? As with the Katol fires, using water doesn't work.

Vpb9fMVS_o.png
The green thing just below me is an ambush predator that doesn't become visible until I get close, and puts me to sleep if it hits me. I don't think it moves from that spot. This screen also reintroduces that mud that slides you north, although thief speed can overpower that effect.

The next screen winds around to get me on that northeast path. It has another of those giftboxes you reveal by stepping on the right patch of ground. Swallow Seeds.

M6wyssFv_o.png
I keep going for a while, until I find a giftbox (Elephant Seeds) and another stop. It's a shop! I was telling myself in Katol that I would put off buying a new bow until the next shop, but it's not stocking any bows, so eh. I use the shop to warp to Katol and purchase a fancier bow there instead.

I notice that they're also selling guns, which are substantially cheaper (bows are INSANELY expensive compared to everything else) and presumably also one-handed. This might well be my endgame weapon, when I find the gun class, but eh.

Warps in this game take you back to the beginning of the area you're in. That's okay. Before I go back to the Steppes, I head to Shokuan's and claim my prize for reaching A rank in Thief.

aT7YMAkn_o.png
Rogue:

M* やるき Motivation
てきのやるきを うばって うごけなくさせる
Seize the enemy's motivation so he can't be assed to move.
L わざポイント Skill Points
てきの わざポイントを よこどりしちゃう
Steal the enemy's skill points.
L けいけんち Experience
てきの けいけんちを よこどりしちゃう
Steal the enemy's experience.
P スチール Steal
ちょっとだけ がんじょうさと すばやさが あがる
Get a little strong and fast.
P スチーラ Stealier
けっこう がんじょうさと すばやさが あがる
Get strong and fast.
P スチーレスト Stealiest
すごく がんじょうさと すばやさが あがる
Get real strong and real fast.
P はやあし Quick Pace
すばやく いどうできる
Move fast. (Is this just a final tier upgrade to Rararan?)

...Huh. With most classes I've just been going through the motions to get more classes without really expecting much of the classes themselves, but this is genuinely interesting. Stealiest looks like a straight upgrade to Rararan, and they even managed to make the active abilities tempting. They're pretty expensive, though.

Blah. I do want this, but not as much as I want to be a bear. Woodcutter it is.

FTdj9APn_o.png
Oh ugh, not being a thief is so slooooooooooow.

5mJijpnu_o.png
I get back to where I was before, plus a little further. I get another gift, Earthworm Seeds.

From here the area seems a little more nonlinear.

wRZ0EIBc_o.png
Oh hey, stepping on that patch of ground to my right gives me a shortcut!

5HYY3RTa_o.png
Another home...

bOb0DdX1_o.png
Woman:
"If you're on multiplayer and you go into the boss's room, a victory counts as you defeating the boss together.
If you want to beat the boss by yourself...don't go into the boss's room."
Man:
"Do you know how to learn a move with very few skill points?"
>no
"The trick is multiplayer. If you show a move off to a friend on multiplayer, it'll bump off a few skill points toward that move."

Huh. Man, that is an interesting feature. The fact that they put co-op in this game at all is so interesting.

HRiLVg1W_o.png
The stairs in the back take me here.

imZJuG0e_o.png
...is this a boss?

Checking the map does show a boss icon here.

But no pokemon jump out as I walk through the tall grass. Hmm.

7MQsSsZY_o.png
I wander around until I find another house.

BCB5xoKW_o.png
Girl:
"I guess even Kools can get sloppy.
Didn't you guys need out of town help to calm down the monsters in Katol?"
Boy:s
"Even if they call themselves 'Kools,' they're still just human beings at the end of the day.
That's what my mom said.
She said it took ages to finally put out those fires.
...Kinda pathetic, isn't it?"

"Still just human beings." Speak for yourself, little boy, I am going to be a bear.

4HW1GDTM_o.png
I grab Sunday Ears in anticipation of my sweet bear form. I have no clue what this skill does.

yB3sokrm_o.png
I find the exit, on the lower right, but...I'm still wondering about that boss.

I take those stairs, which lead to the enclosed top-right corner of that other screen we saw. I walk around in that corner a whole bunch. Nothing appears to happen.

I go back to the boss screen again.

Nothing appears to happen, again.

pPtSRow8_o.png
Eh, whatever.

Next time we go mountain climbing.

Spoiler

Edited by Ether, 16 August 2021 - 07:07 PM.

#49 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 17 August 2021 - 10:03 AM

mc3UTQPE_o.png
Sign:
THE CITY OF BESIS IS AT THE TOP OF THIS MOUNTAIN

Sounds good! I wonder what the nightlife is--

Bq7tbdAy_o.png
--like.

Bob: "What do you think? It's perfect, right?"
> "Yes, sir, leave it to me. I'll make up for any mistakes in Katol."
Bob: "This aim of this operation is exactly the same as in Katol.
We're going to let that monster terrorize the city.
The whole city will get to see the Kools, helpless to do a single thing.
And when we, the Bobbies, end the chaos, the whole city will turn to us.
They'll know that we are stronger than the Kools!
Ha ha ha! It's perfect! Yes! Here we go!"
> "Yes, sir!"

vlDm39kY_o.png
The Bobbies, huh.

You know, if you wanted a better name than "Kools," it really wasn't a very high bar. Almost anything could have worked.

Good job.

I520qOzE_o.png
Man:
"I've been hearing lots of bad rumors about the Kools lately.
Pull yourselves together! We're counting on you!"
Old Woman:
"The trees without leaves on this mountain are poisonous. If you touch one, you'll get hurt."

At least, I think she's specifying trees without leaves.

fUlFWeNH_o.png
These thunderclouds stop and charge up with lightning. I think they throw it at me, but the mountain tiles seem to get in their way. I also can't shoot them, for the same reason.

I kind of like these mountain tiles. Or at least, I don't like them any less than GBC Zelda's take on mountains.

The gift is Duck Seeds.

zMaXR5i0_o.png
Just some random tent monster, chilling out.

rLYM9RNV_o.png
So it's gonna be like that.

LQU3cP0M_o.png
Up the ladder is nothing.

I believe the snorkle attack from Submariner is still my only magic attack. I am not sure. I use it to keep going right.

qvBHVqVm_o.png
Sign:
SHOP & MIX AHEAD

CCrwNmzH_o.png
So they are.

There are two bows for sale here. One of them is more money than I have and raises my ATK by about 2. The other one is about as much money as I have, gives me the exact same ATK as my current bow, and cuts my defense. I am very confused about this game's idea of balance.

Some of the armor seems nice, but it's armor types I've never heard of, so whatever.

The giftbox contains Ape Seeds.

YfuEFyiR_o.png
These clouds move back and forth, left and right only. They'll change their course when they ricochet off something, or when they're close to you and want to stay in your path. When do change direction, they move slower for a bit before accelerating back to their full speed.

pK2I4MGo_o.png
Urggghh.

I go south, which takes me to the upper half of the Tabitha screen.

Man:
"I went to Besis to see the Best Dresser Contest, but they wouldn't let me in. But, you know, I heard they'll let you in if you're willing to participate."

The gift is an Aloha Shirt.

W1qjF9BF_o.png
By avoiding the tents, I find two more buildings. (Also I made C rank in Woodcutter, so I switch to another class for now in case that's enough for Bear. Besides, I might as well get more magic attacks.

Later I learn that Witch magic kind of sucks and it probably wasn't worth it.)

Z5nj0UQe_o.png
Girl:
"If the map marks a place as a Monster's Den, but there's no monster there, that means you've already defeated it.
...Or it's still asleep."
Woman:
"The Kools' movements have been kind of suspicious lately..."

ENYVdTZL_o.png
Girl:
"If you touch a tree with no leaves, you'll get damaged, right? But if you have Painkiller equipped, you'll be fine."
Old Woman:
"The town of Besis is on a mountain, full of falling snow and muddy grass. If you don't take Double Agent form and learn Anti-Slip, you won't even be able to walk straight."

Sure, fair enough. I switch to Double Agent and equip Painkiller, both fine ideas. Surfacing was doing exactly as much for me as it always does, anyway. I already have 30 skill points from Double Agent, so Anti-Slip won't be too long.

3FH17K1X_o.png
Anyway, passing either tent lets you continue into the next chunk of the map, just through slightly different routes. This place is pretty nonlinear, but I wanted to highlight this screen because there's carvings in the mountain.

Man:
"You see those things on the ledges? Those are paintings! The ones here are paintings of people, and the ones below are animals. Amazing, right?"

They are pretty cool!

xvGYZYXH_o.png
Continuing through this route gets me here. I feel like I might have missed something by not taking other paths first, but I guess we'll find out?

The birds just fly around, they seem to go down easily enough with arrows. I've seen them get extremely aggressive toward LPers in melee range, so don't get close.

PRJMtxoJ_o.png
Yeah, I think the wall paintings/carvings are supposed to be a signal.

rvy2xWlL_o.png
Huh.

MDfvKOoV_o.png
Two whirlwinds go past like this, and then everything goes back to normal. I guess this did something somewhere else.

kKhbjpN1_o.png
This kid was actually just to the left of the screen of the man talking about the wall paintings, and I could have talked to him much earlier. My route just didn't go that way.

Boy:
"If you go straight to the other side, you can talk to the wind gods."

Is that what I did when I hit that switch?

UXOTOx26_o.png
Ah, and here we are at the poisoned trees. I still have Painkiller.

ViPGai25_o.png
I think the right side was actually the earlier path to get to. I should still check it at some point.

Y5rwsWjX_o.png
Sign:
SUMMIT OF SANQUE MOUNTAINS
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK

You're welcome, I think!

I still want to see the rest, though...

DbtHg5HP_o.png
Man:
"Oh? You're still young, but you're a Kools member?
So which one of you is it gonna be?
Yang or Bob?
What? You don't know?
Those two are fighting for control of the Kools, aren't they? My Kools friend said that."

xp01W87x_o.png
Boy:
"Psst. Hey, you.
Can you turn into a White Kenshi?
I heard it's the coolest form you can take with Metamode, I wanna see it."

Hmm. I don't have it.

The woman offers me rest, which I take.

wIhdpics_o.png
This route just takes me to a giftbox, but it's a pretty screen.

The gift is Syrup. Seems to raise my MP a little.

Over on the right side of the mountain...

Bem575D1_o.png
Girl:
"Huh? Are you a Kools?
I've been seeing a lot of Kools lately. Did something happen with you?"

The giftbox, gated by a tent, contains Magic Armor.

a6b9xVn9_o.png
I guess it's another boss arena where the boss slept in.

There's one screen left, and I have one image to go before hitting the 30 image per post limit. Easy, right? But, well...

cPTCT9xq_o.png

Tune in next time!

Spoiler

#50 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 17 August 2021 - 03:46 PM

So...some of this monologue is confusing to me. It's really lucky for me that Japanese LPers exist, because I would not have figured out what this puzzle was trying to convey if I was doing this completely blind. I...think I got the correct translations in the end?

Mq977SY5_o.png
Bobbie, I guess:
"Okay, that's perfect. I can't see a stone anywhere.
Lining up the stones to write the letters, and hiding them under the sand...
What a great idea! I'm a genius!
This is a perfect way to hide the tools to wake that monster up. I almost wonder if it's too much."

K99CBLoB_o.png
Bobbie:
"Oh no! Someone's coming!"

HCcqrDvx_o.png
Suddenly the wind picks up...

F8n2hDh8_o.png
Bobbie:
"That's crazy! I have to cover this up quickly!"

QyajXxLz_o.png
Bobbie:
"Gah! She's still watching!
The tools to awaken the monster--
Ugh, she's found out how many animal paintings that was from the left!
Now when that monster wakes from his sleep, it'll all be for nothing!
I've got to warn Bob!"

Qqdf3pXy_o.png
He's out.

Some of the sources I looked up trying to get that monologue sensible hinted that I can't actually get into Besis without seeing this whole sequence through to its conclusion. So I'm going to take a detour to the mountain summit for a second just to see what happens.

E4Ow9IlW_o.png
Sign:
WELCOME!
CITY OF BESIS
Woman:
"Do you have a ticket?"
>no
"I'm sorry, ma'am.
This city is packed right now, thanks to the Best Dresser Contest. We're giving priority to those who participate."

It doesn't look like she's offering me any chance to volunteer, though.

ZUbjOVbO_o.gif

u1nrOWJS_o.png
I can find Shokuan, though!
I get nothing. Bringing classes to C rank isn't enough anymore, and skills in these classes tend to lean more expensive to boot.

nPtqpDlK_o.png
Anyway, let's look at those animal carvings again. We're starting from the left, and the number that the whirlwinds uncovered was a 10, so...

dX8gG5hH_o.png
Ami got the Bear Clasp!

I have no idea if it's actually a Clasp. Could be millet cakes. Whatever it is, it's gonna wake up a big angry bear.

I'm 100% down for this, after my failure at Shokuan's. You know what they say...if you can't join 'em, beat 'em.

lfIHegKe_o.gif
The bear is a martial artist.

He also seems to be immune to arrows. Fuck.

lukWRw8V_o.png
He mostly stays in the ring, but sometimes he charges up...

gzW6l8dm_o.png
...and charges out.

You'd think this would be when he's vulnerable, but no, he doesn't seem to take damage during those lunges.

When he lunges, he sometimes does those dropkick attacks, and sometimes his animation goes through a series of punches. I'm not sure if there's a mechanical difference or not. Either way, big angry bear hitbox coming for you. If I didn't have Painkiller, those trees would probably be a factor, too.

GUNdGvUs_o.png
It's a little unpolished, but honestly, it's a pretty enjoyable fight!

3f6QXRed_o.png
Definitely gonna need some work to convert this one, though.

9OjDz12A_o.png
He leaves behind a Ticket. I can go to Besis now.

I also get enough skill points in Woodcutter to reach B rank, and to purchase another skill if that doesn't cut it. I'm curious if this requires A rank or B rank, so I'll just switch to another class for now.

dfN8czM4_o.png
It was A rank.

...I feel angry.

epWnEgs6_o.png

M* トツゲキ Charge
じぶんの ぜんごの てきに ダメージを あたえる
Damages the enemy.
M ユウキ Valour
カナシバリに ならない
Can't be sleep-paralyzed.
M ガッツ Victory Pose
コンランに ならない
Can't be confused.
M レイセイ Serenity
ランシンに ならない
Can't be maddened.
M チンチャク Composure
チドリアシに ならない
Can't be staggered.
M みずどりけん Waterbird Sword?
てきに ダメージを あたえる いちげきで やっつける ときもある
A single blow that sometimes kills the enemy outright.
M オタケビ Roar
じぶんのまわりの てきを うごけなくさせる
Hold enemies in place.
P きびだんご Sweet Dumpling
ちょっとだけ ちからと がんじょうさが あがる
Gives you a little STR and TOUGHNESS.
P あべかわもち Rice Cake
けっこう ちからと がんじょうさが あがる
Gives you STR and TOUGHNESS.
P ハチミツ Honey
すごく ちからと がんじょうさが あがる
Gives you a whole lot of STR and TOUGHNESS.

I don't want this. It's time to stop wearing the head of the guy I just beat up.

PRDAHxwZ_o.png
Woman:
"I've got your ticket. Please come in."

honSMDx3_o.png
Sign:
SLIPPERY ROAD - BE CAREFUL
SHOP, MIX, SHOKUAN ON LEFT

The ice is indeed slippery. Very slippery. When ZC ice frequently just slows you down, actual ice physics are kind of refreshing! The tiles are pretty, too.

Although I'll probably just equip Anti-Slip and not deal with it.

Next time, we explore Besis.

Spoiler

#51 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 17 August 2021 - 04:34 PM

So...some of this monologue is confusing to me. It's really lucky for me that Japanese LPers exist, because I would not have figured out what this puzzle was trying to convey if I was doing this completely blind. I...think I got the correct translations in the end?

Yeah, you got it right. And... Wow. That is some really amazing writing.

I have no idea if it's actually a Clasp. Could be millet cakes. Whatever it is, it's gonna wake up a big angry bear.

Even better. It's from 起こす - it's a bear waker.

#52 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 18 August 2021 - 10:26 PM

x2eOFg2z_o.png
So this is how it's gonna be, huh.

wZAYJpBH_o.png
I just wanted to play on the ice a little, but if we're doing this...Anti-Slip it is.

3bfsRCie_o.png
Sign:
TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE GORGE
(USE THE LADDER AS A SHORTCUT)

qrdJ0C7D_o.png
The ladder doesn't seem to be out or anything...but that just means we haven't seen the catch yet.

HgMiR4FP_o.png
An abominable treeman. It moves slowly toward me. Very rarely it throws a snowball. Man, I just got out of Woodcutter.

k5pTwOOE_o.png
This cute ice star bounces like an antifairy. Most of the monster sprites in this game don't do it for me, but I'm kind of liking these!

JtYnn8Ge_o.png
Boy:
"Where did you come from? Douji Village? Then you must have climbed up the mountains.
My sister went to the town of Anpo to ask for help from the Kools.
But she didn't come back.
Is she all right...?"

QdDtfoBY_o.png
Woman:
"Oh...
I should have practiced Metamode more.
I can't get to the herbs past Besis Cave..."

I can't talk to the ailing grandmother directly, but I'm always down for good deeds.

59zOoOl4_o.png
Walruses can swim, incidentally.

HOLY CRAP, SO CAN I. SURFACING HAS DECIDED TO WORK AGAIN.

The gift contains Mole Seeds.

SvPVgpJ1_o.png
Oh hey, I've seen her before, back in Katol.

Woman:
"I've come so far to become a Timegetter.
But I still can't cross this pond, because I don't know Surfacing."

8dsmFU2d_o.png
Here's Tabitha, as well as what I assume is Besis Cave. I'll be saving that for later.

It feels like I've mostly been wandering around the outskirts of Besis so far. I haven't shown every screen with monsters so far, but I definitely wouldn't peg this place as a population center and not random wilderness. I haven't even seen the Shop/Mix buildings that the sign talked about on the left--I guess I shouldn't have taken the ladder?

zAJ8LjZh_o.png
It really looks like this screen's trying to hint at something, but as far as I can tell I can't interact with anything here.

ZmWSrwpM_o.png
Here's more of those foxy ice scupltures...

JJpjgZNu_o.png
Incidentally, this is what my map looks like at this point, just wandering aimlessly. I'm guessing that the few screens I haven't gotten around to are the ones that people actually live in.

gZkKNGTE_o.png
This time I don't take the ladder. Or, well...I take the other ladder, the one going up. In hindsight this sign might be kind of unclear.

...I think I'm still moving away from the shops.

fkAVkUfc_o.png
Sign:
THE CAVE THAT LEADS TO THE HERBS IS JUST AHEAD
PLEASE DON'T TAKE TOO MUCH
Man:
"By any chance...
Are you here for the herbs?"
>yes
"There's not much left of them. The elder said not to give any more away. So please turn back.
I really hate this cold, by the way. I'm not going to move from this spot."

It looks like taking the ladder up instead of the ladder down is a dead end, for now.

FnsqajpM_o.png
It's at this point that I finally realize there was a south exit on this screen, not just a west one.

hmLL0Z0k_o.png
Shokuan was on the other half of this screen, we've been here before.

The gift contans a Hades Shield. Could be useful someday, if guns are one-handed.

IgGyirHq_o.png
Girl:
"The contest is further east of here. Did you know that?"

I suspected!

The gift contains くろこ...uh, I think in this context it's the kind of black outfit that Kabuki stagehands wear, since it's some kind of shirt analog.

I go to the shop. I consider buying upgrades, since, speaking of shirts, I seem to be wearing the +3 DEF one from the start of the game. It doesn't have any, just weird other class versions of shirts. Eh, whatever, archers don't get hit much anyway.

SCW6HxeL_o.png
Boy:
"Do you think these two animals are friends? They're facing each other."

Future puzzle noted.

S1VTwkYx_o.png
This ladder takes me to one of those nine squares on the right I hadn't visited yet. You know, I'd figured I would get there eventually, I didn't realize I needed the ladder, but fair enough!

vCeHRf2C_o.png
Civilization!

Woman:
"Do you want to know how to win the Best Dresser Contest?"
>yes
"I heard your final score is determined by your transformation form, your equipment, and the moves you have set."
Sign:
Nothing is written on it......

gxB53xw3_o.png

Woman:
"My grandmother, who lives in a house at the edge of town, is very ill. She needs herbs to heal her."
Man:
"The precious herbs can only be found on the other end of Besis Cave.
Before, anyone could go there to get it, but people kept getting hurt by monsters...
So now people aren't allowed into Besis Cave anymore."

This seems inconsistent with the story the guard told me, but this version poses less ethical questions about picking the herbs, so I'll take it.

As for the other house...

Qs4NLPpC_o.png
It's locked.

UZdGPJrt_o.png
Man:
"If you're looking for strong weapons or armor, you'd better start Mixing.
But you'll need some seeds for that."

Uggghhh I know but I don't want to interact with that subsystem.

TyteSoTY_o.png
Man:
"This town sits on top of a mountain.
If you go down to the west, you'll reach the Katol Desert
If you go east, you'll find Anpo."
Old Woman:
"I always get told off for getting Metamode and Mayonnaise mixed up....
But am I wrong? Am I?"

GLjKACYh_o.png
Two more houses, then I'm done for tonight.

The giftbox is blocked by a snowdrift, but I can reach it by going up to the next screen. It contains Goat Seeds.

WRGIflHC_o.png
Boy:
"People say that White Kenshi is the coolest. But I like Kintaro best."
Girl:
"I wanna change into a Dianthus! Then I can set the Dance signature and enter the Best Dresser Contest."

I might be making some assumptions in translation, both about the class and about its signature. Dance being the signature is an educated guess. And the actual class name the girl mentions is ナデシコ. The dictionary lists this as Dianthus, a flower genus, or as a "(archaic) lovable, caressable girl." Without having seen this class, I'm...erring on the side of the former.

Caressable is definitely in the top ten worst adjectives.

T3cNcrFc_o.png
Old Man:
"A long time ago, I got sick, and I fixed it with the herbs from Besis cave.
I'd asked a friend to transform into a Doctor with Metamode, but he couldn't heal me."
Woman:
"That poor old woman is sick in bed. Her granddaughter's gone to Anpo Town to look for someone who'll risk going into the cave."

zHrdZGTs_o.png
So here's what we have left to explore. Note that not all of these squares are the inhabited part of Besis, I just happened to leave this general region alone when I was wandering around. That's it for now!

Spoiler

#53 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 18 August 2021 - 11:32 PM

I might be making some assumptions in translation, both about the class and about its signature. Dance being the signature is an educated guess. And the actual class name the girl mentions is ナデシコ. The dictionary lists this as Dianthus, a flower genus, or as a "(archaic) lovable, caressable girl." Without having seen this class, I'm...erring on the side of the former.

I'm gonna guess that's yamato nadeshiko, which would kind of be both. If she's wearing a kimono and looks demure, that'll be it.

#54 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:45 AM

rmtByssP_o.png
Sign:
BEST DRESSER CONTEST
NOW OPEN

OijOnf0K_o.png
Receptionist:
"Welcome to the Best Dresser Contest! The D-rank contest is now open to the public. Would you like to enter?"
>yes
"Now, please, go to your room."

I...blah, I don't really want to do this right now. It's something that can wait until postgame, and I don't want to rearrange all the various Japanese words I have equipped for other Japanese words, especially when I might not even have the right Japanese words yet. But I came here to see sprites and tiles, and maybe there are sprites and tiles in here.

So I just go in without changing anything at all. I don't expect to win, but might as well see what's there.

AjhSqCFH_o.png
Mix Guy:
"Ladies and gentlemen! It's about to happen!
It's time for Besis's Best Dresser Contest!
Let's start with the Rank D contest! Here we go!"

Wait fuck I'm going up in front of everyone in a racist costume and they're all going to see it, oh nooooooo

r2N5txmZ_o.png
Mix Guy:
"Entry Number 1!
From the town of Ronef: it's Theresa!!
Come on, Theresa!"

jVLQYjLe_o.png

She's a Bishop, looks like. She struts around the stage for a bit before taking her spot.

05ReUqcv_o.png
"And now, Entry Number 2, from Douji Village. Ashis! Come on, Ashis!"

Just a guy, huh.

Ej8h9PNt_o.png
"Now Entry Number 3, from Anpo Town: Jinei! Come on out, Jinei!"

Jinei comes out and walks around, you get the picture.

"And finally, Entry Number 4, from Anpo Town: Ami! Come out, Ami!"

Oh god what if they still vote me anyway while I'm dressed like this.

ekCA5fi3_o.png
"Okay! Let's get the results out!
In third place...
Entry number 3! Jinei! Ninety points!

In second place...
Entry number 2! Ashis! 104 points!

And now...let's hear it for the champion! The Rank D winner is..."

Please be Theresa please have some kind of taste you guys.

"Entry Number 1! Thesesa, with 114 points!"

There's whomp whomp music in the background, but I don't care. Just this once, I am proud of this racist costume game.

RJvA71aH_o.png
"All right, Theresa! Come here! Congratulations! This is your prize. Gift for you!"
Theresa got Tatami!

This is either dried sardines, or a folding mat.

"That's it for the Rank D Contest! See you again!"

Spoiler

JgG9cpiW_o.png
That sucked.

That's the rest of the inhabited part of the town, so I wandered off again. As far as I can tell, there's no way to get to Besis Cave from here.

4HnaoLgJ_o.png
Sign:
WE HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN
TOWN OF BESIS

Never showing my face here again sounds good...but I should go to Shokuan first. I did get to A rank with Archer.

jyiCSO7g_o.png
Hunter. Why am I covered in flowers again? Wielding a gun is potentially interesting, though, I should see if they're one- or two-handed.

M* ボルト Bolt
チドリアシに ならない
Can't be staggered. This is the exact same skill as what the "Bear" had, with a different name.
M スライド Slide
スロウアクトに ならない
Can't be slowed.
M カービン Cabin
ドンソクに ならない
Also can't be slow-FOOTED, something apparently totally different!
M こおりのたま Ice Bullet
じゅうで てきに こおりダメージを おたえる
Deals ice damage to enemies.
M つちのたま Earth Bullet
じゅうで てきに つちダメージを おたえる
Earth damage.
L みだれうち Random Shots
じゅうで まわりのてきに ダメージを おたえる
Damage the surrounding area, with a gun.
P License19
じゅうを そうびできるし とくいになる
Guns.
P License31
すべての ぼうしを かぶれる
Wear all of the hats.
P バキユン Bakiyun?
Get a little DEX and MAG
P バキユナ Bakiyuner
Get DEX and MAG
P バキユネスト Bakiyunest
すごく まりょくと きようさが あがる
Get a whole lot more DEX and MAG

I'm not 100% confident on License31's translation, since Hunter itself doesn't seem to have the hat flexibility natively, and classes generally have access to their own passives. But if it's true, it saves time over picking out individual hat types if I care about every single point of my defense. In the end, it's still taking up a passive slot and as long as I have a class's appropriate hat at all then the differences don't seem that important.

I do go ahead and buy a gun, even though I am a flower child. It lets me equip shields, unlike bows. The gun is the only thing here that I want, I should go back to Samurai Girl and unlock Queen.

Yz4e3e9G_o.png
Then I leave.

Sign:
SETTO MOUNTAINS
BESIS TOWN AT THE TOP
ANPO TOWN NEAR THE BASE

(The gift is Salmon, or possibly a Shake.)

PKPD2djs_o.png
Are these mouths? Shields? Trumpets? They shoot bullets at me and move pretty fast.

(The giftbox contains water, although obviously I can't get it without going around.)

df0YI19K_o.png
The south thing is a much skinnier arm from the side, and flings dirt at me. The mole seems impervious to bullets, and kept just standing there for so long that I started wondering if he was an NPC, but no, he starts walking toward you when and only when you get close. I think that's the only time he's vulnerable.

I beat him up with a sword, but I'm not even sure why I did it.

rbYuldMF_o.png
Two houses.

LWwbiIy4_o.png
Man:
"As you go down this mountain, there's a mysterious face.
You can press the upper button to go down, and the lower button to go up.
It's quite interesting."

ZNjDgvps_o.png
Boy:
"You're Kools too? That other guy I just saw was so annoying, I hate them all now!
...Tell him I said so!"
Old Woman:
"Hah...
I can't change into a White Kenshi...
I wish I'd gotten more transformations..."

6AumRdlt_o.png
Sign:
PRESS THE UPPER BUTTON IMMEDIATELY AS SOON AS YOU EXIT THE LADDER
IF YOU HAVE THE SKILL "BECOBEAR" YOU CAN PRESS THE LOWER BUTTON

"BecoBear" is from Scamp. One of those passives where I have no idea what it means or what it does. アベコベのゆかも ヘッチャラになる, as a recap.

I don't have it. I suppose, once again, that my plan to become Queen is derailed.

pnXfRbh5_o.png
I wander around for a bit without taking that one ladder.

PLy241Vu_o.png
Huh. Are these floors some kind of BecoBear thing? I guess as long as I'm a Scamp, it doesn't matter if I have the skill purchased or not, because it's native to the class.

I kill the flowerpot. God it's satisfying to have ranged attacks. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to respawn...

fzgygIae_o.png
Here's another one.

XCRXIoS2_o.png
And then a third...

W7JeGNBM_o.png
Hmm.

8Hv6Q7GK_o.png
Not a notable screen, but I'm not sure if we've seen those boulders before, at least in that kind of formation.

Etr04bEq_o.png
It's a shop! The giftbox is Otter Seeds.

7ZoDnbw8_o.png
Girl: "I'm begging you! Please go to Besis Cave!"
Bobbie: "Not happening. I don't have time for this."
Girl: "Aren't you a Kools?"
Bobbie: "That's the thing. We're like the Kools, but we aren't Kools. That's why Bob says we shouldn't do anything that would help their reputation.
Soon, the Kools' name will be changed to the Bobbies. Please come to me again after the name change. Then I'll help you.
Hope we're clear."

He starts walking away, then:

1ZioXkOj_o.png
Bobbie: "Oh, and if you're thinking of blabbing to the Kools...
...Don't worry. I don't mind if you tell everyone, it's better for us Bobbies that way. We'll appreciate it."

And he's gone.

qUYaKhTu_o.png
Girl:
"What should I do...?
I guess I'll just have to go to Anpo Town."

And she leaves too.

D8uWxfpH_o.png
Here's our current map. Next time, we'll do some combination of checking out the rest of these mountains, and tracking her down.

Spoiler

#55 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 20 August 2021 - 02:46 PM

"As you go down this mountain, there's a mysterious face.
You can press the upper button to go down, and the lower button to go up.
It's quite interesting."
"BecoBear" is from Scamp. One of those passives where I have no idea what it means or what it does. アベコベのゆかも ヘッチャラになる, as a recap.

ベコベア = Sdrawkcab. Nullifies control-reversing floors. The guy's saying you press down to walk up and vice-versa.

#56 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 20 August 2021 - 05:43 PM

Oh...right, you explained that one the first time, too.

kqxiE7aj_o.png
First I follow her west.

The giftbox is a Magic Axe.

20YmEExd_o.png
Girl
"Why can't these people go away..."

VH9XfqiW_o.png
>"We're ready, Knack. We've brought the monster to the Steppes."
Knack: "......understood......"
>Who's there?

uiRrdzUf_o.png
>"What...just a kid...
Listen up, we're having a very important discussion. Can you please go over there?"

bohP9fM2_o.png
He's not getting out of my way.

fwTsBUwW_o.png
Girl:
"There are bad Kools guys over there. Are you with them?"
>no
"Good...
I finally found a real Kools...
Listen, I have a favor to ask you.
I need you to go to Besis Cave and gather some herbs. Without them, my grandmother won't ever get better. Hey! Please!
Isn't that a good way to pass the time until those guys finally leave?
I'll be waiting for you at home!"

She starts walking away.

"Yeah, my home is at the far end of Besis!"

And she's gone.

UXU6rxzV_o.png
I wander off and find that little zone in the southwest that I didn't explore.

yN4aFTgi_o.png
Woman:
"What are your Passives?
I never remove 'Leave It To Me.' I change the others as needed."
Man:
"I keep winding up in the same place whether I climb up or down the ladder...
East of this mountain is such a strange mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy mossy"

Don't look at me like that! DeepL said it, not me!

I've never heard of 'Leave It To Me.' No idea what class it's from, I guess we'll find out eventually.

jHJjZj3T_o.png
The gift is Tanuki seeds.

UjTvoy9Y_o.png
Woman:
"If I had an item called the Nuke Loop, that strange mountain in the east wouldn't keep bringing me back to the same place.
...That's the rumor. I don't know where you'd find something like that, though."
Girl:
"I just saw Knack, the Kools star!"

1fuc219J_o.png
I go down the ladder.

whexloMn_o.png
These flowerpots are back, yet again. I feel like there's some condition I'm supposed to kill them under.

Y9JFhHl7_o.png
This ground is full of those poison trees, but I'm full of Painkiller.

aRN57okK_o.png
Going around, the treasure contains Curry. I'm leaving the ladder for a moment.

8WLVH7AH_o.png
It doesn't matter if I go up or down here, this screen is Lost Woodsing me.

NXLlJeRD_o.png
The ladder takes me here. I've been here from the other side.

WU0CiEHC_o.png
Another sign...

YdqYxyo6_o.png
Flowerpots, huh.

Beating them spawns a giftbox. This is the Nuke Loop.

fxzXOQvV_o.png
I go back to that Lost Woods mountain. I can use the ladders now.

Man:
"The Canned Food and the Can Opener are a set, you can't use one without the other. If you give both of them to a certain grandmother...well, try it for yourself."

There were two giftboxes on this screen, but I somehow managed to not take a picture until it was two late. They contained a Manhole, which appears to be a shiny shield of a subtype I haven't identified, and a Bowtie, which seems to be a bandanna.

6n9XMLq2_o.png
North is a boss.

Naga's really tough. He's really tough because of PSYCHOLOGY.

4N4TY7HR_o.png
He's not immune to bullets. You can hit him from the right position. He can hit you, too. He has these huge fuckoff projectiles, which are not easy to dodge in a confined space like this.

wBhJVyVr_o.png
I think he has some kind of poison going on too. It's not really clear, and maybe it's just jank, but I noticed I kept losing HP for no apparent reason.

gcbs0OI7_o.png
It was real bad. This definitely looked like a fight I was going to lose. And then, backed desperately into a wall, I finally asked myself:

Do those crystals ACTUALLY deflect bullets?

VjxsP9m9_o.png
They do not.

Bq4e2eJX_o.png
No idea how I won this, looking at my HP bar. But I just kept firing, and eventually I was on the screen and he wasn't. And then I immediately healed back up without checking in case I keeled over from staying that low for that long.

7vcMYtkm_o.png
He was pretty neat.

N7Kuzgs7_o.png
When I climb back down, I am rewarded with Canned Food.

sXnVO2UY_o.png
Back to Besis.

pMcq1r7w_o.png
I stop at Shokuan's, and finally claim Queen.

S* みかづきぎり New Moon
てきを ドンソクにする
Make your enemy slow-footed.
S はんげつぎり Half Moon
てきの こうげきを よわくする
Weakens enemy attacks.
P まかせとけ Leave It To Me
わざを つかわなくても そこそこ たたかえる
Fight well even without using techniques
P キシドー Chivalrous
ちょっとだけ ちからと まりょくが あがる
Raises STR and MAG a little.
P キシダー More Chivalrous
けっこう ちからと まりょくが あがる
Raises STR and MAG.
P License04
すべての けんを そうびできるし とくいになる
All...swords, I think? Ken-swords specifically? Maybe this gives access to the sparkly ones?
P キシデスト Most Chivalrous
すごく ちからと まりょくが あがる
Raises STR and MAG a whole lot.
P りょうてもち Two-Handed
かたてもちの ぶきを りょうてで もてる
Carry weapon in both hands

I don't know about the others, but we did get a Leave It To Me endorsement in this very update, so...maybe.

VxWFCDr3_o.png
I also get Warrior Monk.

S* きっく Kick
てきに ケリを いれて ダメージ あたえる
Damage
S ぱんち Punch
てきに パンチを いれて ダメージ あたえる
Damage
S ちょっぷ Chop
てきに チョップを いれて ダメージ あたえる
Damage
M びんた Slap
Damage.
M とびげり Dropkick
Damage.
M どつきたおす Jab
じぶんのまわりの てきに ダメージ あたえる
Damages the enemies around you.
P パパワー Papower
けっこう ちからと あがる
Raises STR.
P イノル Praying
ちょっとだけ ちからと すばやさが あがる
Raises STR and SPEED a little.
P いしゃりょう Reparations
こうげきされるたびに もらえる おこづかいが ふえていく
Every time you're attacked, the amount of money you'll get increases.
P イノラ More Praying
けっこう ちからと すばやさが あがる
Raises STR and SPEED.
P イノレスト Most Praying
すごく ちからと すばやさが あがる
Raises STR and SPEED a whole lot.

The Praying line seems nice.

Spoiler

Next time, we talk to that girl again and go into Besis Cave, probably!

Edited by Ether, 20 August 2021 - 05:45 PM.

#57 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 21 August 2021 - 03:18 PM

hqSlAqRm_o.png
While I'm at Shokuan's, I decide to ask about locked classes I haven't seen before. There's only one.

Amazon, via Witch and Bear.

That's the first double requirement I've seen. Huh. Not only that, but he says I need to learn all the moves in both of them. I'd guess there's probably others like it, and they just don't show up on the board until I have both of the required classes. Good to know...

(I take Yone form anyway for a bit, because it has 6 skills to learn and Witch has like 13. Later I realize that Yone's skills are way more expensive than Witch's to compensate, but eh.)

tTpbBfyr_o.png
I go back to the sick grandmother's house. Everyone's here now.

Woman:
"I'm sorry, I know it's a weird favor."
Boy:
"You're going into Besis Cave? Are you sure you're up for this?"
Girl:
"I'm sorry for making such a weird request out of nowhere.
Anyway, these herbs are growing beyond the cave in the muck.
Please take this with you. You can use it to warp to the top of the cliff. There's a spot just below the cave with no snow on it. You should be able to warp from there."
Ami got High Jump!

WelL54N2_o.png
Here's the spot.

I don't actually have long range magic for the tent, I think. I hope I'm not just fucking launching myself into it.

QQ3ccZRY_o.png
Nah, it just plants me here.

I should take the north route to get to the cave, but I want to see what happens if I go west.

3z6aOkws_o.png
Looks like the guard went home.

6uepMy1H_o.png
Anyway, here we are.

upy1HnSp_o.gif
Welcome to Besis Cave.

5IJTc9tq_o.png
These guys move fast, and while they're subject to knockback, it doesn't seem to affect them as hard. Or maybe it was just the angle. I feel like they have some kind of movement pattern I'm not getting.

71OLn0MQ_o.png
The 2 deer in the center make me suspect there's going to be another of those puzzles, which might be tricky. I don't want to get near these guys.

yYomGobV_o.png
The thing that's shooting me doesn't seem to move from its spot. Or, alternatively, monsters can't be knocked back into spikes. Those things behind it are spikes, by the way...I didn't realize this until I walked into them, but that's what they're supposed to be.

I equip Painkiller.

ozyX2TYI_o.png
I take the warp.

FeriBtIT_o.png
It's a one-way warp. It brings me here.

MHnIMU1o_o.png
That was four deer, this is...is this a 1? Do half-deer count?

I beat up the monsters in the next room, and a door opens, which takes me up to that earlier room with the closed south exit. I'm not totally sure what the point of that was yet, I guess it might facilitate a future deer puzzle.

Kr5SajNI_o.png

Does this game just want me to guess which warp is the one that isn't a waste of time?

4kKAsZIS_o.png
For now, I go north instead. Then north again.

m0nmDzrb_o.png
North+north locks me in. Not too hard to deal with. Those shield-headed guys are much easier with range.

xEeGZkdb_o.png
South from here lets me hit that switch we saw earlier, which lowers the spikes. I was using Painkiller, so I didn't need a spike-lowering, but I suppose it doesn't hurt.

XGagihm2_o.png
Yep, I'll have to start picking warps eventually. But for now I remain defiant.

I go back to the arena room, and take the north exit this time.

V3ipOW6t_o.png
They don't affect me, but I notice that switch didn't clear the spikes everywhere.

CCLl9lw1_o.png
Pretty ice tiles, another locked off room.

NWYQ3K9s_o.png
Hmm.

6RYvl7Fx_o.png
There's a tent on a switch. This opens the gate, which takes me right back to that center area, just north of the three warps.

Fine, it's not like these gauntlets are painful. I take the left one first.

XW1x9dI0_o.png
It warps me to the exact same place. My emulator can rewind. I elect not to play along.

But all three warps go here.

I am not immediately sure how to proceed.

SF4ZMEEI_o.png
But then I wander around and wind up back here and it seems like the door opened.

It might or might not have opened the first time I cleared the room. I honestly can't remember.

GPrM6s0r_o.png
Not a notable screen, except for those stairs...

KBTtmtuX_o.png
I'm kind of glad I tried all those warps before. That way I know not to be curious about these ones.

x19PRjMz_o.png
This is another switch that just seemed to lower the spikes? I wonder if it did anything more useful someplace else.

e8Oorq6H_o.png
There were spikes on this screen too that I see disappear as I enter, but, like, you can walk over spikes in this game. They aren't a barrier, as long as you have Painkiller equipped they might as well not be there.

Anyway, I'm going to cut this off here for now. I'm pretty sure the caves are almost finished, but it's not happening within the 30 image limit.

Spoiler

#58 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 22 August 2021 - 11:05 AM

2Agqvhf6_o.png
North and east seem to lead to the same place.

SJx4Fa59_o.png
As I watch, the spikes clear here too.

E2znq3d0_o.png
Stairs!

apFGpDoK_o.png
Two paths from here.

mQHm81eb_o.png
This is our current map, incidentally. There's a little bit more at the top--the map scrolls--but this is most of it. I decide to go north first and see what's in that giftbox.

kpkut05f_o.png
More of those bad switches from the pyramid.

Ugh, I don't want to burn MP. I think the last time I found a healer was pre-Besis--maybe the first mountain range, possibly even the early Steppes. What if I have to use a consumable??

K6J0yKcw_o.png
Doesn't look like I can do anything here yet regardless.

Ec4eFcd3_o.png
...Oh.

I take a leap of faith, which mercifully just warps me back to the previous room and not into a gauntlet.

mPttEaLz_o.png
I go back to the north rooms, and try stepping on a funny switch. It...doesn't seem to do anything? This is ominous and I don't like it.

I try stepping on another one and it warps me back to the start of that room.

7UnMo5g4_o.png
So I guess I just have to guess which one will let me use the real switch?

The answer appears to be none of them.

I look up what to do, which seems to be stepping on them in order from top to bottom. Odd. I could have sworn I'd tried the left one on the bottom screen at some point after trying that first one. Okay.

qmURHfKT_o.png
The way to the stairs is clear. The switch...this seems to be another multiplayer door. I can't hold it open alone.

QWkzYGIj_o.png
So I just take the stairs.

Hitting the switch removes all those warps.

3n6MxHSy_o.png
The west path is clear now. Beating the ice stars gives me more stairs.

NQ1X85jv_o.png
This place.

knujI5Bu_o.png
This leads us here.

ZJ56w0tB_o.png
Another arena, now with ice pillars.

This yields more stairs.

aXlo6NrE_o.png
Boss fight ahead.

1hessBAc_o.png
It's some kind of eldritch ice wizard, I think.

IX9Pnt4N_o.png
He has a mobile form, where he flies around. This is a pretty tight space, and you can't walk around the back of the throne either.

pFL0BnBu_o.png
And then sometimes he plants himself down and shoots bullets at you. He can move between the two modes quickly.

S1jzR10M_o.png
Also sometimes he makes a black crystal. It explodes into three bullets.

E0oeJ0jB_o.png
He melts when he dies.

I don't think this was a hard fight, exactly--I only took damage one, when he pinned me against the wall trying to leave an alcove. But I do think he was, in every sense of the word, a pretty cool dude.

unknown.png
His sheet's pretty big, too. I really like this one, and I honestly kind of like the one with more colors, too. It gives off a sort of encased in a clamshell energy.

wRN5BbFM_o.png
Time to collect my prize.

This warp had better not be a troll.

XSvudjCL_o.png
Oh, huh, we're out here.

Did I ever post a picture of this exact screen? I think I just kept passing it without comment. Anyway, just walking in the grass is enough to get the herbs.

A625O0TX_o.png
Heading back, I pass a sign that I just completely walked by when going in. It tells me about the switch order puzzle, and notes the spiky floors.

I make A rank in Witch. I still have two skills to get before collecting all of them, but let's put the bear before the cart.

Back to the house.

z8v00U4h_o.png
Boy:
"Yes! The herbs! Hurry up and give them to my mom!"
Girl:
"Oh! It's the herbs! Thank you! Thank you!"
Woman:
"You got them for me! Thank you!"

She turns to the grandmother.

"Grandma...the herbs..."

Grandma spins around a few times. She's healed!

U3vamWxG_o.png
Grandma:
"It's perfect. I feel much better now.
You're the one who brought me the herbs, aren't you? I'm sorry.
I guess I'll have to thank you for that. It's not much, but please take it."
Ami got Warabite!

Aw man, please stop giving me sparkly katanas! I already have one of these!

UkPwTfRv_o.png
Boy:
"I thought only adults could join the Kools. But you're a kid, and you're with them too...
Yes! I'm joining the Kools too!"
Girl:
"Even if the Kools reputation isn't good these days...I'm relieved that there's people like you."
Mom:
Grandmother:
"Kools is the same now as it ever was. There will always be great people among its ranks."

Spoiler

Next time, Shokuan's, and then either getting back to Anpo or possibly investigating the Steppes to see that monster the Bobbies were talking about earlier!

#59 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:00 PM

So back when I posted that last update, I originally slipped up, broke a few tiles on one screen, and then after the fact went back to that screen of the dungeon to fix it. This let me A-rank Double Agent too.

Let's see what this gets us.

RcL39l8F_o.png
Oracle!

S ちんもく Silence
てきを チンモクにする
Silences the enemy.
M すいみん Sleep
てきを ねむらせる
Inflicts sleep.
M まひ Paralysis
てきを マヒさせる
Inflicts paralysis.
L* おくすり Medicine
すべての ステータスいじょうを かいふく
Restore all status conditions.
L ぼっしゅう Confiscate
てきの さいだいゲンキの 4ぶんの1を トクシュに
Converts 1/4 of the enemy's max HP into MP.
P せっせい Moderation
トクシュを ちょっとだけ せつやくできる
Saves a little MP.

Confiscate could be nice.

8o6cnJHk_o.png
Commando!

S* グレネード Grenade
Damage.
S ドラゴン Dragon
Damage.
M プラトル Plateau?
Another status prevention.
M ブライブ Brave
Can't get stunned.
M ポジテイブ Positive
Yet another status prevention.
M アクテイブ Active
フドウに ならない
Can't go motionless (I did these out of order and some got at least a little effort)
M クラッシャー Crusher
Damage.
P ヘル Hell
A little DEX & STR.
P ゴーヘル Go-Hell
DEX & STR.
P ゴウトウヘル Go-To-Hell
すごく ちからと きようさが あがる
Lots of DEX & STR.

Iq4qpCv3_o.png
...Ninja!

S* まきびし Caltrop
マキビシを まいて てきを ドンソクじょうたいにする
DeepL says, "I'm going to roll up the makibishis and turn the enemy into a dongbok."
M すいとん Ninja Water-Escape!
Damage.
L しゅりけん Shuriken
Damage.
P License41
にんじゃふくを そうびできる
Wear ninja clothes.
P ヌキアシ Stealthy Footsteps
A little SPEED and AGILITY.
P License16
すべての かたなを そうびできるし とくいになる
Wield all the katanas. This gives access to the sparkly kind, I believe.
P セシアシ Cheat
けっこう すばやさと きようさが あがる
SPEED & AGILITY.
P しらはどり Sword-Block
てきの こうげきを よけやすくなる
Makes it easier to avoid enemy fire.
P にとうりゅう Dual-Wielding
かたてようの ぶきを どうじに ふたつ もてる
Carry two weapons at the same time.
P シノビアシ Soft Steps
すごく すばやさと きようさが あがる
Lots of SPEED and AGILITY.

Dual-Wielding looks very strong. When I checked the Ninja's equipment, I noticed I had a sparkly katana in my shield-hand instead of a shield, a huge attack boost from presumably getting the +ATK of both weapons, and whenever I fired my gun I shot two bullets in quick succession. I can't be assed to keep my shields up to date, so the shield defense lost is negligible anyway. The downside is that it takes longer to shoot two bullets than one, and that's time when I can't move.

B8wLMbrw_o.png
On top of Cook, Pyro and Amazon, I've got a few more unlockable classes:

ドワーフ Dwarf, via Timegetter + Oracle
ナデシコ Dianthus, AKA Yamato Nadeshiko, via Queen + Commando
スパイ Spy, via Rogue + Ninja

I also realize that I made a typo when I was translating Amazon's requirements. I need to get skills in two classes, but I don't need ALL the skills in two classes. So that's nice.

PKbujEVY_o.png
Then I just...warp back to Katol, and go find that healer in the pyramid.

At this point, I have 25 classes unlocked. That brings us over halfway toward the 45 total female classes.

I take a lot of time to update the spritesheets. This update would probably have come last night if I hadn't. It's a lot.

kVNzVet3_o.png
Then I go through Setto Mountains again.

Looks like the Bobbies finished up.

OO52BX99_o.png
Sign:
NOW EXITING SETTO MOUNTAINS
NO NEED TO WALK IN THIS FOREST
STREAMS OF WATER CAN CARRY YOU

I (sigh) put Surfacing back on, and get in the water. It doesn't carry me anywhere, but I guess I'd better keep Surfacing up.

zUhsgekL_o.png
No monsters so far...

EDJjefIF_o.png
I found a house, though.

Incidentally, I've got to say how I really appreciate how each area in this game has different house interiors. I'm always excited when I see one in a new area for the first time.

xEYnMgrr_o.png
Man:
"To enter the river, change to Submariner or use the Surfacing passive."
Boy:
"It's really fun to play in the river water. But now there's a big monster in the water, so you can't stay in there too long.
And this big monster...the Kools are the guys who brought it here.
Do you think it's getting used for some kind of training?"

8xjT3Hqf_o.png
The thing on the land is some kind of tank that attacks with a sort of flame projectile. The thing in the water sometimes surfaces and charges.

It doesn't look like I can enter the water from here.

sqAt0xqQ_o.png
This seems like a spot for getting out of the water, but the entry point is later. I can't reach the giftbox either.

YcWDIxlS_o.png
These...foxes? Red pandas? Whatever they are, they're pretty fast and their pattern is just immediately getting up in my face.

Oto6m6W6_o.png
The thing up there seems to occasionally launch itself in a high-speed blur.

Going left takes me to that bridge we saw earlier, now from above.

iJIpw50J_o.png
Ah, here's our entry point.

NJSS0tPM_o.png
Let's try down first.

dK2r09zb_o.png
Down gets sheep seeds.

SJbbkEMh_o.png
And a shop, plus a house next door. All the weapons in this shop are sparkly, EXCEPT the guns (there are no bows). Sounds like less hassle, honestly.

WxbThOv8_o.png
Girl:
"The big monster the Kools brought with them is really dangerous. It hurt my friend."
Woman:
"From Douji Village all the way here? Up the mountain and down the mountain and past the desert.....
Do you want to take a break?"

She heals you if you accept.

ayLtkxmo_o.png
At this point, you can walk back up to the river entrance, passing Tabitha, and take the other route. That brings us back here.

xXTvEHxU_o.png
I go south here.

The scuba fish actually hit pretty hard!

gpHhuI0b_o.png
Continuing south...

UmqptINT_o.png
>"I've already messed up at Katol and Sanque Mountains...
I have to make sure to do it right this time."
>"Right."
>"I don't care about Bob, really. But I can't disappoint Knack..."

They see me.

>"Hey! Someone's here!"

UUOYvc1h_o.png
Officer:
"What?! Are you Kools, too?
There's nothing to worry about here."
Grunt:
"Huh? You?
You were in Katol......
No, it can't be."

Whatever. Later, nerds.

J9aGJknS_o.png
Sign:
WASTELAND AHEAD
BEYOND THAT, ANPO TOWN

I'm choosing to translate it as Wasteland here, but I translated the same word as Steppes earlier, and the soundtrack calls both areas Grasslands. Those Bobbies from earlier were probably talking about messing around in this place, in hindsight, not the earlier Steppes. Although that one boss arena is still unaccounted for.

Well, whatever. It's been a long journey, but we're almost--

mNyfa3wC_o.png
"Hey!"

UTl30lH1_o.png
Boy:
"You're a Kools, right? Then you gotta make the big monster in the river calm down.
I've been trying to talk to those Kools guys over there, but they won't listen at all!
That thing's the reason we can't play in the river. I'm begging you here!"

Finding and fighting the boss is mandatory to proceed. We'll deal with that next time.

Spoiler

#60 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 24 August 2021 - 01:39 PM

lErtCy4z_o.png
Well, whatever.

ix8BtzfT_o.png
Old Man:
"They deliberately let monsters loose in town, and then they solve the problem they made. It's disgusting how the Kools pretend to be heroes."
Old Woman:
"You're a Kools, aren't you? Then get that big monster out of here!"

6pZNqstN_o.png
Okay, okay.

It's clear enough where it is, anyway.

c5GYZrse_o.png
I haven't gotten that one giftbox, but eh. Let's just do this.

1bs6IX9C_o.png
Our foe slowly emerges from the water.

K9U1oa6X_o.png
One of those dang swamp pachyderms, you know. They're all over these parts.

VXW4BaFx_o.png
Its attack pattern is pretty simple. It raises its head out of some part of the arena, and then if you don't hit it fast, it sprays a water projectile at you. Sometimes it feints and resubmerges without the attack.

RTcvgvmH_o.png
It hits hard when it does hit, but like most things, it's way more manageable at range. Watching other LPs of the fight, its hitbox seems kind of jank in melee.

Anyway, I win, and I take that whirlpool. It warps me back to that screen with the Bobbies.

Ji1RHDmN_o.png
Definitely another one that's gonna need a lot of editing...and I kind of wonder how many ZC games need a swamp elephant boss. But, you know.

RE1bvYau_o.png
>"Wait, the monster's down?"
>"Ugh, if that's true, we have no choice but to kick off plans in Anpo. As long as that works out, we'll still be able to destroy the Kools.
And when we do, we, the Bobbies, will stand supreme.
Anyway, let's report to Bob!"

juj2kVQY_o.png
They're out.

I check in with that old couple, just to see.

F1X6BTmG_o.png
Old Man:
"So those Kools I saw were fake? You know, I think one of them said something about Bobbies."
Old Woman:
"God, what is it with you Kools? You're driving out the monsters that that other Kools brought with him? What is this, some kind of inter-Kools rivalry?"

Well, anyway, time to--

yVl00jok_o.png
GOD DAMMIT WHAT NOW
I seem to have taken the wrong picture but it's me getting interrupted again.

Boy:
"Thank you for keeping that big monster in line! This is my way of saying thank you."
Ami got Scarf!
"See you later!"

Spoiler

O8nZT4QS_o.png
Sign:
"BEWARE OF CACTI
STOP TRYING TO PET THEM."

Goodbye Surfacing, hello Painkiler. Got it.

6UswhPNZ_o.png
These leaf guys charge when they're lined up with me, and they charge FAST. They go into a blurry mode for it. Like the goggle fish back in the woods, knockback tends not to be enough on its own.

zmL95ms1_o.png
These cactus guys throw fast-moving spine projectiles. Not just one.

Ayql20ZW_o.png
Sign:
WIND SPIRIT TOTEM STATUE
Old Man:
"What, Anpo Town? Anpo Town is just around the corner.
If you need better directions, ask the old man to the south."

VEzJdPFl_o.png
Since he mentioned south, I checked the map.

It's a cactus.

uvsMSdWz_o.png
Meh, I have Painkiller, I said, as I stepped on them. Actually they're slidey floors.

Meh, rogues are fast.

16ALx5g8_o.png
The red thing, which is a hot pepper with legs, throws projectiles. I was standing in kind of close range with it and in hindsight this was a mistake, I tanked some hits for that.

PtouyjCu_o.png
Panda Seeds.

This whole area has just been a completely linear gauntlet so far, but it looks like I can go south or east here, so yay.

spAxkMQF_o.png
Ooh, that's a cool building.

sRiqakHg_o.png
Old Man:
"What? Anpo Town?
If there's a place you can't reach because an old man's in the way, you tell him he's in the way. He probably doesn't even know."

Probably the one who told me to go here, looking back at that earlier screenshot. Anyway, the old woman heals me.

Spoiler
wastelands sign:
そこらに はえてる サボテンには
くれぐれも ちゅうい しておくれよ
ちかづくと ケガをするぞい

old man:
なに? アンボのまち?
アンボのまちは ここから すぐじゃぞ
くわしい いきかたは
みなみのはずれの じいさんに
きいてきてくれ
sign:
かぜのかみさま トーテムのぞう

in the building:
old man:
なに? アンボのまち?
もし じいさんが ジャマで
とおれん ばしょが あったら
そのじいさんに ジャマだと
いってやるんじゃな
そのじいさんは きっと
じぶんが ジャマになっとることに
きづいとらんのじゃ
old woman:
やすんでいくかい?

Behind their home is Shokuan. We reached A rank with Carpenter, so let's see where that gets us.

owOOo5jm_o.png
Pyro. I guess Firedancer might be more appropriate, actually seeing her.

That outfit is honestly pretty badass. I wish the art style used different faces.

S* ちいさなたま Little Sphere
S ねずみはなび Pinwheel
M ふつうのたま Medium Sphere
L おおきなたま Big Sphere
L どでかいたま Also A Big Sphere
P ドカン Dokan
A little DEX and TOUGHNESS.
P License45
ハッピを そうびできる
Seems to be some kind of Japanese outfit, you can google ハッピ to see it.
P ドカナ Dokaner
DEX and TOUGHNESS
P ドカネスト Dokanest
Lots of DEX and TOUGHNESS

aifHvRcq_o.png
Cook.

The usual S/M/L/P ordering is changed here.

M* わぎり Dicing
じぶんのまわりの てきに ダメージを あたえる
Damages the enemies around you.
S ビタミンA Vitamin A
ビタミンAを ほきゅう ねむくならない
Keeps you awake.
S ビタミンB Vitamin B
ビタミンBを ほきゅう ドクに ならない
Prevents poison.
S ビタミンC Vitamin C
ビタミンCを ほきゅう ゲンキエイに ならない
ゲンキ is HP in this game, but DeepL's translation is "I need vitamin C. I don't want to turn into a genie." and I'm choosing to go with that.
S リポびたん idk, Lipobiotin or something
リポびたんを ほきゅう マヒしない
Prevents paralysis.
P ニンジン
A little MAG & TOUGHNESS
P カボチャ
MAG and TOUGHNESS
P ホーレンソー
Lots of MAG and TOUGHNESS

Well, I didn't care about either of these! I kind of expected it to like make consumables or something, which is a mechanic I would have never willingly engaged with but would have at least been something different.

Anyway, at this point our options are as follows:

ドワーフ Dwarf, via Timegetter + Oracle
ナデシコ Dianthus, AKA Yamato Nadeshiko, via Queen + Commando
アマゾネス Amazon, via Witch and Bear.
スパイ Spy, via Rogue + Ninja
とうりょう Foreman, via Commando + Pyro

Warrior Monk doesn't seem to offer me anything right now, which is a shame, because speed + strength is the combination I want most. (But I grabbed speed + dex as a rogue, and I'm not sure there's any functional difference between DEX and STR, so eh.)

More wastelands next time.

Edited by Ether, 28 August 2021 - 04:33 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSLP

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users