• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:30 AM

Hello everyone, today I would like to propose a project that may potentially end up being developed in a very unique way. But this mysterious method requires a lot (and I do mean a lot) of input from the community. Where I am getting at with this is proposing the idea of the community planning the bare bones of a custom Zelda Classic 2.50 quest. The community will decide on the tileset, genre, size, story and several other aspects via means of several forum polls. Majority rules as they say; whatever gets the most votes will be implemented into this quest.

Let's not worry about the creation of the project just yet. All we need to do is discuss the potential foundations for this project and nothing more. So this begs the first question: what do you think of this? I think it would be interesting to have such a quest to represent the community.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to hearing your response(s). :)

Full credit to Shane for helping with writing this topic

• Shane and Eddy like this

#2 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

Sounds like a pretty interesting concept, I would definitely be up for this. I think this would be an interesting way to represent the community, so I'm in support for this.

I could see a couple problems though, such as if a poll is completely split with a tie and people start to argue over which option is better, and that could probably result in some kind of dispute and conflict. But besides that though, I'm still interested.

• Shane likes this

#3 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

I could see a couple problems though, such as if a poll is completely split with a tie and people start to argue over which option is better, and that could probably result in some kind of dispute and conflict. But besides that though, I'm still interested.

Well, to be fair, Screenshot of the Week and other contests don't usually end up with ties. :P

• Eddy likes this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

Well, to be fair, Screenshot of the Week and other contests don't usually end up with ties. :P

That's true, but I'm just saying just in case if it does happen lol

#5 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Community or perhaps teams of 2 3 or 4.

I love the idea but really feel that a community volume would cause delays and well... just look at us Congress
  • Jared likes this

#6 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

This idea isn't new and has been tried before and it's never worked :(

-Strike

#7 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

I'd be up for this, if there won't be too many restrictions. Everyone has their own design strategies and styles, and the community project should be a blend of different styles. The final product doesn't have to be perfect.

• Demonlink likes this

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

This idea isn't new and has been tried before and it's never worked :(

-Strike

Yeah, I'm aware of the past attempts (one of them being by myself) but I believe this attempt has the potential to be a more organized, unique way of representing the community.

I'd be up for this, if there won't be too many restrictions. Everyone has their own design strategies and styles, and the community project should be a blend of different styles. The final product doesn't have to be perfect.

Yeah, I'm mostly looking for input from the community. The first phase would be gathering ideas from the community for deciding what would go into the quest and the second would be actually building it. 

• Shane, Eddy and Haylee like this

#9 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

This is something I'd be interested in. While there have been past attempts, a pattern I noticed with the failed attempts is that they were less organized. I believe proper organization, like you're doing now, Duck, will get this project at least somewhat farther than the previous project.

• Shane and Eddy like this

#10 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm not saying I'm against this or anything, it's just hard to pull off.

Good luck to everybody who enters this! If the classic tileset is chosen, I might contribute.

-Strike
  • Jenny likes this

#11 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:17 PM

You guys are too negative about this. It'll be like those Twitch streams in which the viewers tell the player what to do.

Sounds awesome to me--go for it!

• Jenny likes this

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

I'd like to see it happen. That said, I've seen two attempts to make it happen, one where I had a leadership-ish role, and it ust kinda fizzled it. If you can make it work, more power to you, but these things have a bad track record of losing the public's attention very quickly.

#13 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:34 PM

is a great idea and even a interessing experiment too

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 26 November 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#14 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:08 PM

As long as everybody respects each other's opinions, having motivation and inspiration with this (and also knowing how to work as a team :P ), this might actually work. I'm open to work on this concept if we do end up putting something up :)

#15 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:21 PM

I've often considered the best way to make a community-built quest, since you have to take into consideration each dungeon has to be able to take into account what equipment Link's already obtained, and trying to get difficulty worked out well, etc.

It would take a bit of scripting, but I think the best approach would be to try and make something like a top-down SM64/Banjo-Kazooie styled game. Have the overworld act as a hub area, and each person gets a DMap to design their individual world. Any items found in a world only work in that particular world and don't carry over to other areas, and each world would contain a set number of goal objects to look for that would be used to unlock later portions of the hub world. That way, each person doesn't have to worry about Link's existing inventory, and we can easily shift worlds around so the difficulty overall progresses properly instead of an easy World 1, hellish World 2, easy World 3, and so on.

• Jenny and Jared like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: community, purezc, quest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users