The Nintendo Switch

• Please log in to reply
667 replies to this topic

#631 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:50 AM

First true successor to Sunshine. It has been a while...

~5 more days. :bounce:

13660.jpg

Speaking of Switch, if you like good indie games, it is fast becoming the way to play them on the move. If I travel abroad again (probably soon), it's definitely coming along.

Edited by Arthas, 21 October 2017 - 02:54 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#632 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:52 PM

So here's some surprising news:

#633 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

Well, between GCN, NES Classic, SNES Classic and maybe even the Wii Classic Pro controllers(?) hopefully we can ultimately get a N64 style controller and use original styled controllers for every VC game

#634 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:29 PM

Maybe this means we'll finally get GC games on virtual console.

....Probably not.

#635 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:41 AM

It means they can make HD ports of Gamecube games and have the proper controls, something they could've done on the Wii and Wii U but arbitrarily chose not to support/implement (Like Wind Waker HD, imagine proper analog stick sensitivity for moving the character!).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 24 October 2017 - 07:42 AM.

#636 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

I have not helded a Switch controller, but I've read that it does not have analog triggers. What I wonder is, if there is a way it could be emulated, or added later as long as the hardware is there. They added this "HD rumble" thing, so I find it really hard to believe that there is truly no support for it, especially considering that Nintendo is just sitting on the GameCube library. Mario Sunshine (again) is the only game I can think of that really makes heavy use of it in an influential way within the game.

But, if their Smash controllers work, it isn't out of the question, and gives them a chance to sell us another controller (which, since they are a business, would make sense). It would be cool to see them make a Classic N64 controller, as limited as its purpose would be.

In other news, I don't think anyone posted this here yet, but apparently NES Golf exists within the Switch, AND it supports motion controls! Does this mean we could see Rad Racer with true Power Glove motion control support? I find this pretty cool, even it It's kind of old news, but the guy who cracked the 3DS for modding found it (yellows8).

#637 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:30 AM

nes golf is a homage to iwata. It was never meant to be found, a kind of secret blessing on every switch sold. Very cool.

And switch does not support analog triggers. It's not a huge deal. I don't think mario sunshine will be coming to switch.

• Anthus likes this

#638 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

I think I'm buying a Switch tonight or tomorrow. I've not missed a Mario launch since Sunshine. #yolo
  • Jared likes this

#639 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:22 PM

I've spent ~25 hours with Mario Odyssey so far. Got ~250 moons out of ~900+ and about 60% of costumes and items unlocked/bought (I think). I won't mention how many worlds there are so as not to spoil you.

Best 3d platformer/collectathon ever.

DNK78QJUIAEz_Or.jpg

Edited by Arthas, 30 October 2017 - 10:25 PM.

• Anthus, Nicholas Steel, Jared and 1 other like this

#640 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:18 PM

I love how Mario looks like an absolute goddamn maniac there. And we all thought Bowser was evil.

I really want to make my avatar this post-game screenshot I took but dammit I don't wanna be that guy to spoil it like certain YouTubers (no one here).
  • Jared likes this

#641 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, Youtubers who scream spoilers in headlines and thumbnail images are awful.

#642 Arthas

Arthas

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:24 PM

Just to add, in regard to Odyssey, there are certain people (reviewers who's impressions I've read) that seem to promote the idea that the game is 'too easy' 'to complete' while ignoring the fact that completion in this case is very misleading, as the initial story ending is not even 1/8th of the game. You simply can't get most of the moons until after you complete the story and unlock additional moons and worlds. The game is designed for beginners and advanced players simultaneously. If it can be done with regular platform-platform movement, you can do it with advanced movement.

Worse still, some have even stated that this is the easiest Mario to date which is so misleading I don't know how to respond. It is probably the hardest Mario to date.

To 100% it is brutally difficult. There are bosses you need to fight later on that are harder than any Lynel in Zelda. There are moons in impossible places that you can only get if you spend hours learning to master horizontal/vertical cap-jump direction switching combos-something you never have to do while completing the story. Add to that real momentum afforded to Mario that differs depending on surface inclines and this game is going to have some of the most amazing and unpredictable speed runs in history. Places you get to that you think are out of bounds and not meant to be accessible-there will be a moon or reward waiting there for you.

Minor Spoiler, this is one I managed to do: https://www.youtube....=a382dmNvRXs  

Also beware the youtube recommended video feed. Major spoilers everywhere by viewbaiting youtubers. :whap:

Also I will bring up one annoying negative, and many others are clamoring for a fix (easy as a patch). Two of the face buttons do nothing (they are unused, Mario does everything with just two face buttons, 1 trigger button + 3 key motion waggles-one of which can be done with buttons using a combo).

Simply put, we want the two unused face buttons to be able to do the two waggle exclusive functions, instead of having to waggle. Playing with detached joycons, this is absolutely no problem, but playing with a pro controller (where you're most likely to master the advanced movement) having to waggle it sucks. Playing with attached joy-cons in handheld mode makes the waggle functions almost unusable.

Long story short-fix with patch. Easy. They have two unused face buttons, and two key actions they can map to them. People are gonna keep spamming Nintendo until they fix it.

Barely worth mentioning, map directional controls to the d-pad in side scrolling portions of game. Currently you have to use joystick for classic mario platforming sections. Not a huge problem (because these sections are not that elaborate) but not ideal.

They did many fixes to Zelda, mainly performance wise, no doubt they will make these quality of life improvements to Mario.

Also I went back to Zelda to kill ganon (took me 5 mins, I cheesed my way into castle and he was super easy) because I felt guilty spending so much time with Mario with only 60 shrines done and ganon undefeated. Anyway, going back to 30fps was jarring. I thought the switch was broken for a second. Yikes. Nintendo really need to ditch 30fps permanently in their main franchises.

Edited by Arthas, 31 October 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#643 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

A vast majority of the main Mario games are pretty dang easy if you are just going to complete the main game. One example is Mario 64, where 90% is pretty easy but as soon you try for that 100%, the game ramps up in difficulty. It's still not hard though, if anything it just gets annoying, specially the last few 100 coins power stars.

#644 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

I think difficulty is highly subjective and varies from person to person, and genre to genre. Plus, early reviews from big sites are known BS by now. You can't see all a game has to offer, and let it sink in in a few days and be able to present it in way that offers an account of the full experience especially with games as huge as this. That's why pretty much every review reads the same.

I don't read reviews (i.e. don't take them seriously) from IGN, Gamespot, or any of those. I get my information from YouTubers I like/ trust/ have similar tastes as.

#645 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

Just as a reminder, we do have a dedicated thread for Odyssey. :P

• Cukeman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users