Photo

Map of the Month 40

Map of the Month MOTM Cool Ass Contest

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: WHO YOU GONNA VOTE FOR (43 member(s) have cast votes)

MAP OF THE MONTH 40

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hey everyone! It's that time of the month again. The time where I am late on getting Map of the Month up.

Sheik
by Sheik

Octorockoncrack
The Mako Shoreline

Mr. Z
Trying to win MotM with an old Quest for Light map from 2006.
...Was it THAT long ago?!

Evan20000
Minor IoR spoilers. Are you ready for an adventure? (There will probably also be more NPCs in the final version)

Shane7227
A familiar Korkiri Forest.

Rambly
From an old quest project from 2008. It's not that good but the colors are pretty ヾ(*´ー`)ノ

Thanks

#2 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

I said it before, but I'm totally blown away by the quality of maps this week. I wish all of them could win.

I have to hand my vote to Evan20000 this week. It captures the GB spirit but explores a lot of new territory, all while maintaining continuity and strong screen design. Very nice.

EDIT: Mr. Z is a very close second. There's just something really appealing about the design. It's consistent, if maybe a bit repetitive.

#3 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

Evan all the way!

#4 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks you guys.

I nulled because I'm in the competition, but I'd probably have voted for Rambly if I were voting. While I have a burning hatred for BS Mountains (Well not really, but they're probably my least favorite mountain style along with newfirst), this map manages to use them in a way that I am okay with, in addition to having a nice layout. I'm also in love with the palette.

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Sheik: Posted Image

No seriously. Finish it.

Octorockoncrack: A decent map, but those clouds look a little weird. I mean most of the time clouds aren't bagel shaped...

Mr. Z: A solid map, but it doesn't stand out very much.

Evan20000: Instawin for making something amazing and not catching the Nicks.

Shane*NUMBERS*: It's kinda flat and kinda tile errory and this is why OoT doesn't work as a complete screen for screen remake in ZC. Possibly because the N64 didn't split maps into screens. And was 3D.

Rambly: This is really pretty. I probably would have voted had Evan not entered. I just kinda prefer a pretty map of an actual quest over an amazing map of a dead one or one that I suspect will never be completed based on the creator's history. Unless this actually is being worked on in which case...DAMN!

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

Had to vote for Evan, just for the sheer scope of it. Cuz that map... wow. Mr. Z's is a really close second; I really like the mountain layout and all. But Evan's just covers such a broad range of environments and all flows together so well.

#7 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

I nulled, but I liked Mr. Z's best. And that eventhough I actually don't even like the Pure tileset(s). Evan's map is great, too.

#8 Mr. Z

Mr. Z

Old Bastard is back!

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:46 AM

Mr. Z is a very close second. There's just something really appealing about the design. It's consistent, if maybe a bit repetitive.

I'm glad other people think it's repetitive as well, that's the reason I'm redesigning all the maps for Quest for Light, they're just boring. Pretty but boring.

Evan20000: I want your game.
  • Evan20000 likes this

#9 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:25 AM

Mako shoreline?

I had a cat named Mako. He ran away...

Uhhh... Too hard to choose... Ummm, uhhh >.>...

Eenie meenie miney moe...

I'mma go with Rambly 'cause yolo it's purple. And purple is an awesome color.

Runner-up: Evan. Nyah! GB masterpiece~!
  • Jared likes this

#10 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Going to have to go with Sheik again on this one. Impressive work. Evan20000 is a nice full overworld,but nowhere near as impressive. I've seen better usage of the GBZ tiles, but its a decent effort.

#11 Thomas G. House

Thomas G. House

Senior

• Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

I voted for Octorokoncrack. I liked the map, the colors make it feel...realistic.

I liked Shiek's map too.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

Sheik - It's mostly nice with some neat design and unique tiles, but I can't get over how awful those BS mountains look. Something irks me about the lava/ground borders too. :?

Octorockoncrack - It's fairly simple and traditional, but I think that's part of its charm. It's nice-looking, though I admit the cloud usage is a bit odd. Maybe it looks better on an individual screen basis? Like that eye cloud though. Foreshadowing?

Mr. Z - The snow parts seem too plain, but maybe I'm just used to more detailed snow tiles. It may seem "repetitive" but I still think it's a good-looking map. :)

Evan200000 - It would be a crime not to vote for this. The scope of this map is just amazing, it's huge, it's varied, it looks good, it's a clear winner. The fact that it comes from a near-completed quest too makes it more exciting, that we'll actually get to roam this for real. A+.

shane7227 - So, my main problems with this map are twofold. One is strictly related to the contest itself, and your map is more or less a conversion of a map someone else did (albeit not in ZC), so ethically I couldn't justify voting for it. The other is the detail. The grass just looks repetitive, and I think you could have spruced up the underbrush a bit more. It's more or less fine otherwise. I'm not saying you can't keep this map in your quest, though, it's just I couldn't vote for it in a contest. :P

Rambly - Simple little map, but well-designed. I can't really find BS appealing at all, but the design of the map is still pretty nice.

#13 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

As much as I want to be a part of this, I just can't decide! They're all so good!
Therefore, I won't vote.
Hope you all win!

#14 Legen Dary

Legen Dary

Freak Scene

• Members

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

There are four maps I really liked:

Sheik: for me, this one has the best paths, or ways, or I don't know how to fucking say it in english x) I only think is kinda... Ugly, but great map overall!

Mr. Z: very well designed map, it seems fun to play through and is the one with which I have less issues. Only a little bit boring visually.

Evan: HUUUUUGE overworld here, so the variation makes the difference. Maybe a little bit linear in some zones (maybe not, that's what it seems to me by looking at it). Tileset usage could be better too.

Rambly: visually stunning and well designed. I like your simple style of design, only this time it was too simple, perhaps? I don't know.

I honestly don't know which one should I choose between these four. I like all of them but also everyone has something that doesn't appeal to me very much. I'll choose later x)

#15 allb

allb

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

evan20000 I have voted for you. You can see the entire overworld and most of it is on a huge island. Looks beautiful!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users