• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#1 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:05 AM

Part 1

This is a quest I've been looking forward to for some time now.  In fact, it's one of only two "LP this as soon as it's ready" quests on my list.  Combining elements of both vertical-scrolling shooters and metroidvania-style exploration, this quest does things with the ZC engine I never thought possible.  With (at least) 12 huge areas to explore, huge bosses to fight and interesting plot elements thrown in, this is definitely going to be a wild ride.

• C-Dawg likes this

#2 CyberGamer1539

CyberGamer1539

Lord of Cyberspace

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:17 AM

This looks cool, but definitely looks like it would be out of my comfort zone.  Good luck!

#3 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:18 PM

It really is a fairly hard quest, but it's very, very much worth playing. In-game secrets are only obvious about 15% of the time, so you really, really do have to attack every single wall to find secrets.

I've beaten the testers' beta(s) a few times, and it's a true masterpiece. It drips quality from every orifice.

#4 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

You're all correct.  It is intended to be long.  And hard.  And dripping.

• Lightwulf likes this

#5 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:12 PM

Part 2

Coming into this, I thought I would be going to each region in sequence.  It just seemed like it would make sense at the time.

#6 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

The different zones are arranged a lot more like the "levels" in Blaster Master than in Castlevania, that's for sure.  Aquarius functions as the "hub" and most other zones connect to it.  Not all of them, though.  That's metroidvania for ya.

Edited by C-Dawg, 18 August 2015 - 07:14 PM.

• KingPridenia likes this

#7 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:23 PM

Part 3

Fighting a boss doesn't necessarily require heavy firepower, just the ability to not get hit.  Naturally, this is sometimes easier said than done.

#8 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

Part 4

It isn't until you're in the thick of things when you realize just how many different ecosystems this place can have; and there are still so many places I haven't been to yet.

#9 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

I get the impression you're not taking notes as you go along.  This is understandable, but here's some food for thought: could you get through Norfair in Metroid for the NES without taking some notes on the map as you go?  I'm interested to see how well you do without doing so here...

#10 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 07:57 PM

I wasn't at the beginning (mostly because I'm so used to the spacebar-map), but I have started taking some notes, especially when a specific location gets mentioned.  Also, after I did today's recording (part 9 for you guys), I went back and not only did I note the locations of items I couldn't get to, but I also made maps of Aquarius, Scorpio and Aries.  It didn't take me long to see some areas I missed...

#11 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Part 5

I'm not sure which is worse: a bonus boss or something that just feels like a bonus boss.

#12 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

Aplogies about the boss bar. They are all supposed to be full, and measure relative hp, just like yours. Had some math farts with a few early bosses, is all.

Also, you need to bear in mind how nonlinear the game is. It's true that there is a definite plot, but the paths along that plot line branch. A lot. I guess you could say there are lots of bonus bosses, but good luck ignoring them!

Edited by C-Dawg, 24 August 2015 - 10:06 PM.

#13 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:59 PM

Part 6

It seems there is a conflict of interests going on here.  Maybe this is something I could take advantage of down the road.

#14 C-Dawg

C-Dawg

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:40 PM

If it doesn't take advantage of you, first.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#15 MeleeWizard

MeleeWizard

Best of both worlds.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

Part 7

The exploration aspect of this game really reminds me of Legacy of the Wizard. I for one don't see that as a bad thing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ZC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users