Photo

Map of the Month 26

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 26 (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for the most awesomeriffic map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

Hello true believers!

I would have posted this much much earlier, but there was some problems with some of the submissions. Which is why I'm going to go through some of the more basic rules of Map of the Month right now, as I had to disqualify at least three submissions this month.
  • When you submit a map, always make sure it's complete. That means no unfinished screens, and no screens with layers on them. If you do have screens with layers on them, take the time to open the image in paint or another preferred image editor, and cut those b****es out.
  • Always submit a map in the proper resolution. LordSettra!'s map today shows you what not to do, but I left it in seeing as I've been late with this MotM.
  • When you submit a map, always make sure it's complete. That means no unfinished screens, and no screens with layers on them. If you do have screens with layers on them, take the time to open the image in paint or another preferred image editor, and cut those b****es out.
  • It is also always best to submit maps in .PNG form, though you won't be disqualified for not doing so. It only hurts your chance of winning though, as .JPG reduces the quality. It's also important to note that submitting a map in the wrong resolution won't get you disqualified, but as with the file-type issue, it will hurt your chance of winning.

Now that's done, let's get started!!

Map of the Month 26!!

Nolornbon
This is a forest area I made. The green rocks with the holes in them are dungeon entrances.

Rambly
i have no idea how this happened. this isn't right.

LordSettra!
Do you remember on this Island?

Gonken

#2 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

I vote for Rambly's because it's good.

#3 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

Nulled, since i'm in it.

I like Ramblys classic map really good job!
LordSettras is a bit empty but still pretty good, and it reminds me of Links Awakening. icon_smile.gif

I don't have anything to say about Nolornborn, except that I like it!

#4 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

In case people don't understand my definitions here on what I consider two approaches to map design:

Top-down - Each screen is dependent on a big picture, and must conform to it. These tend to make for screens that flow better when going from one to another. Often you might design aspects of many screens on a map before finishing one of them. In fact, it is certainly the case when the borders between screens are harder to find when looking at the map. Best approach for more complex tilesets, such as DoR.

Bottom-up - Each screen is not very dependent on a big picture, if at all. The big picture is simply a consequence of what you did with each screen. Most likely the map is designed one screen at a time: Finish one screen before starting another one, and looking back mostly for the sake of just the one screen. Can get away with this more with simpler tilesets such as classic, but it's never the only option.

Norlonbon - B
I like the choice of graphics here, with an enhanced classic. The design is decent. Probably bottom-up, but not too obvious in that regard.

Rambly - B+
Another approach to enhanced classic no doubt, although this is certainly closer to the standard classic (not a good or bad thing). The grass and dirt textures certainly give this the extra detail that standard classic lacks, but without wavering from it much overall, which was likely an intent here. Design is probably about as good as Norlonbon's, but I will give you a slightly better rating for providing a lot more of a map. Looks pretty bottom-up to me, but then again, it's classic.

Lord Settra - C
Some of the screens look pretty good, but as a whole map, it doesn't feel comfortable. This tileset is one that would probably look better using a top-down approach, but this is very clearly bottom-up. Transitions from screen to screen look satisfactory, in that there aren't graphical bugs (such as making sure there are no half-trees), but beyond that, there isn't much concern for it. It's obvious when you consider that some dense packs of trees, cliffs, and water ways are merely there to act as a border between screens (or map edge), and nothing else.

Gonken - A-
The only true top-down screen in this contest, and what a difference it makes when looking at the whole picture. Clearly there was a big plan here, although there is some inconsistency between the transitions of some of the regions, such as between the green and blue forest. Still, it's an excellent map.

#5 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(Nathaniel @ Jan 15 2012, 11:13 AM) View Post

Gonken - A-
The only true top-down screen in this contest, and what a difference it makes when looking at the whole picture. Clearly there was a big plan here, although there is some inconsistency between the transitions of some of the regions, such as between the green and blue forest. Still, it's an excellent map.

Thanks. The transition between the areas is like this in any game made withing ZQuest, and many official Zelda games. (Still it won't appear the same way in game as it does on the map.)

Afterall, this map is trashed and very old. And i'm not even using ZQ anymore icon_smile.gif

Edited by Gonken, 15 January 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#6 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

There is absolutely no contest. Gonken wins, hands down.
This might be the greatest map I have ever seen thus far! Great job Gonken icon_wink.gif

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

Not only does Gonken easily win the contest, I think he might just have created the most beautiful map in existence. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it; it's pure perfection. Is this your own tileset you're making, or is it an existing one. And if it's your own, will you release it when you're done with it?

Of the whole map, I think the canyon just south of the lava area is my favorite. The way you have those natural bridges reaching overhead and connecting is genius. It's a nice effect I don't think I've ever seen done before.

#8 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

I released most of the tiles I used for this tileset. It started as a DoR, then I updated almost all graphics, and I recently worked on a MC Tileset before switching to Game Maker.

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(Gonken @ Jan 15 2012, 11:08 AM) View Post

I released most of the tiles I used for this tileset.

You did? Pardon my ignorance, but where?

#10 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

They're in the loosetile database, just search for my name.

#11 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE(Gonken @ Jan 15 2012, 12:52 PM) View Post

Afterall, this map is trashed and very old. And i'm not even using ZQ anymore icon_smile.gif

What?! Where are all these unreleased tiles then? All of these were't in the release pack D:

Anyway, I voted for you, Gonken...WOW.

#12 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

I could update the submission another time with all tiles, but which other do you want? Only ones I can think of are the rock overlay thingies on the way to volcano.

#13 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

Well, those, along with the complete water tiles and edges, with the waterfall maybe? With the ice? Those would help everyone on the entire site greatly!
And maybe those wooden posts in the town (The ones with the lamp), with the path? And the smoke puff, coming from the house. And that wonderful bridge? icon_razz.gif And those blue chests? With that lava, the lava waterfall, and the really dark dirt?
Wow, I'm demanding ._.

Edited by Jared, 15 January 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

Those briges have been submitted ages ago. Linkus sprited them. I doubt they are in the database, though. You can still easily find them via the search function.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Or to make life easier on you, could we just be allowed to rip directly from the map? Aside from the ice stuff (which is unrippable because of the snow layer), I could grab almost everything I want, which would save you the trouble of having to update the loose tile pack.

If you do wanna update the tile pack though, in addition to what Jared said, you might wanna include the forest brush and all the ice tiles. And are the mountain overhangs already in the pack? Not the ones on the way to the fire place, but the ones near the south of the map, where the water flows underneath the little mountain overhangs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users