Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

HOLY FUCKING SHIT MEGA MAN MEGA MAN MEGA MAN

okay that's out of my system now again and again and again

*ahem*

I like the inclusion of the Wii Fit Trainer.  If you don't want to play as her, or you think she's ridiculous, well... Don't play as her?  Super Smash Bros. already has a shitton of characters we all already like anyway, so it's not like it hurts you that bad.  But we've also had ridiculous kinds of characters before, like Mr. Game and Watch, or hell, even just think of someone like Captain Falcon- sure he's awesome, but before Smash Bros, he was just kind of this faceless futuristic racer.  I mean, at least she can actually use Yoga techniques to fight, and that's interesting enough (particularly her use of the Warrior pose to send Link, Mario, and Kirby flying, heheh).  And that's what makes Smash Bros. a great series, that all the characters are interesting and dynamic from each other.  It's not like yet another Street Fighter IV ultra turbo mega maximum edition deluxe.  The entire series is nothing like dime a dozen fighting games like that.  And for the record, Wii Fit is fairly popular, and there are people who have benefited from it a lot, so I think that's why this wasn't too unusual.  It was honestly less shocking than Mega Man was.  Seriously, I think she'll work out.  (Evan will be proud of me, sadly.  The rest of you hate me now, though.)

Also, cue fighting gamers complaining that she has a realistic looking body instead of the usual treatment female fighters get.

But either way, the whole thing looks really good, it all looks incredibly polished.  I love how the Wii U version looks, and I love the cel shading for the 3DS version.  I love everything from Mega Man's arsenal, to Pit's weapons from Uprising getting used, to Link's design (to me it looks like Skyward Sword + Twilight Princess).  I haven't played a single Animal Crossing game in my life (although New Leaf will be my first soon), but holy friggin' damn if I'm not excited for the villager regardless!  I'm getting a total G&W vibe, and that's a very good vibe at that.  His gameplay does look really exciting and totally random, in an excellent way.  Being able to just use household items, gardening tools, or picking up enemy's projectiles and tossing them right back- I don't care if the Villager has never been a fighter in any way at all, this is really unique, which counts way more.

My future hopes for who they include would be Magnus all the way, being a great Ike replacement (using wind elemental attacks instead of fire).  Isaac from Golden Sun would easily have a great arsenal of abilities, instead of being reduced to an assist trophy, Simon Belmont would be another, having the whip, throwing daggers and axes, holy water, etc; and I can imagine Chrom making his way into the game.  Otherwise, I'm okay with everyone from Brawl returning.  Yeah yeah, I know, everyone wants their Melee physics back.  Frankly, I don't really care one way or the other on that spectrum.

They'd better get rid of tripping, though.  NO ONE LIKES YOU, YOU HAVE NO PLACE HERE.

• SpacemanDan likes this

#33 Obderhode

Obderhode

There is great power in knowledge.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

Megaman is now the only character in Smash for me. :D

#34 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:14 PM

So I'm the only one who wants to see Mike from Startropics in SSB?
tumblr_lndswgG1Np1qch7pn.jpg

What about any of the Dragon Quest heroes?  We haven't seen a single Dragon Quest character, and Dragon Quest totally defined the RPG library on the NES, as it was the first one.

#35 Arkhanno

Arkhanno

.ecnalubma na ton ma I

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

Isaac is a great choice for a new character, but I think we're all forgetting about someone. Someone that should never be forgotten. Crono.

#36 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

So I'm the only one who wants to see Mike from Startropics in SSB?

MIKE SUCKS! >:{

Anyway, if there are any more third party editions I'm putting my money on Simon Belmont, Ryu Hayabusa, Cloud or... someone from a handheld that I don't know or care about.

Who I'd LOVE to see is the T block from Tetris. He got class!

#37 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hey everyone, I'm sorry for my absence lately, and I admit I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I had something I was working out and I thought there'd be interested parties here.  I've been looking at the video that describes Mega Man's move list, and I've come up with my predictions for what button inputs each move will use (which gives some insight into what purpose each move will serve).

I bet smashbros.com will come out with a move list with button inputs eventually, long before the game is released, making these predictions obsolete.... but hey, this is what fans do, eh? :blah:

Anyway, take a look and see if you agree with me!  I started off with my predictions, then wrote notes on each move explaining my logic with regards to the E3 video (this one, starting at 3:54).

-----------------------------------------

~ Radien's Mega Man move input predictions for SSB4: ~

Key:

* = inferred through character movements.
+ = drawn from director's description.
Everything else: guessed through context and process of elimination.

- Smash Attacks -
Side          Charge Shot+
Up            Spark Shot*
Down        Flame Blast*

- Grounded A attacks -
Neutral        Mega Buster
Side            "    "
Up              Mega Upper
Down         Slide*
Dash         Top Spin*

- Aerial A attacks -
Neutral        Mega Buster
Forward        "    "
Backward    Slash Claw*
Up               Flame Sword*
Down          Hard Knuckle

- B attacks -
Neutral        Metal Blade
Side            Crash Bomb*
Up               Rush Coil+
Down          Leaf Shield*

- Throw -

Power Arm (Guts Man's ability)

Here's my logic...

Mega Upper:
In the video, Mega Man uses this ability twice in a row, and he has the same animation each time. It doesn't appear to charge up, and it doesn't send opponents flying very far, so I think it is not a smash attack. Being an upward melee attack that is shown starting on the ground, I believe it is his grounded Up+A.

Mega Buster:
Since Mega Man can use this while standing, walking, AND jumping, it needs to be a neutral and a side attack. The video doesn't show Mega Man moving foward while jumping and firing, so I can't confirm for certain that he can use it in the air while moving, but I believe it will be a grounded Neutral/Side+A attack, and an aerial Neutral/Forward+A attack. A rather than B seems to make sense given how heavily he relies on the Mega Buster, and that way it would use the same button as the Charge Shot (see below).

Charge Shot:
Since it is clearly stated that this is a smash attack, and since it probably only shoots forward, I believe it is simply his Forward Smash. The animation doesn't solidly confirm this, but there's no reason for it to be a Down Smash or an Up Smash.

Slide:
An A+tilt attack input seems likely for a quick, weak melee attack such as this. You also see Mega Man duck just before sliding. This leads me to suspect that a tilted Down+A is his slide  input, much like the NES games.

Metal Blade:
8-directional input in a game such as Smash Bros. will probably be accomplished by entering the move's basic input, then immediately tilting the stick in the desired direction, much like Fox's 8-directional jet attack. The ability to throw downward suggests that it can be aerial OR grounded, which suggests that this is a B attack. Entering such a command is easier if the initial input is stick-neutral, so I suspect this will be Mega Man's Neutral+B attack.

Crash Bomb:
If you look closely during the video, Mega Man always inches forward a little bit before firing a Crash Bomb. This suggests that it is a side-input attack. Given the total non-smash nature of the attack (it is probably meant for racking up damage), in all likelihood it is Mega Man's Side+B.

Top Spin:
Mega Man uses this attack while dashing, it is not shown in the air, and it is a multi-hit attack that pushes the opponent forward, much like Luigi's dash+A. Peach's dash+A serves a similar purpose, too (though it is not multi-hit). I strongly believe the Top Spin is Mega Man's Dash-A attack.

Hard Knuckle:
The director says this is a meteor attack, and in the video Mega Man fires it downwards while in the air. This just SCREAMS a Down+A aerial to me, given how often aerial A moves are meteor attacks, especially downward ones.

Rush Coil:
This move was introduced earlier in the video, but I'm placing the Rush Coil here because during the Hard Knuckle demonstration, Mega Man is shown using the Rush Coil midair to recover and return to the stage. Thus, it is probably Mega Man's Up+B recovery move, much like Sonic's spring.

Slash Claw:
In the video, you can clearly see Mega Man use this ability in the air immediately after switching his direction of movement. This strongly suggests that it is his aerial back+A attack.

Flame Sword:
Extremely similar to the Slash Claw in animation, and also stated to be an aerial attack. In the video Mega Man uses it while going upwards, which doesn't necessarily ensure it is his aerial Up+A, but I strongly suspect it is.

Leaf Shield:
Mega Man is shown releasing this on the ground and in the air, and is not shown moving left or right while using it. Since Down+B is frequently used for item preparation attacks and shields, I believe the Leaf Shield is his Down+B. Mega Man's movements are such that it is entirely likely the shield's function is similar to its use in MM2, in that pressing left/right direction causes him to immediately throw the shield in that direction. I suspect any other input will release it in the direction Mega Man is currently facing.

Spark Shot and Flame Blast:
These two attacks are mentioned in the same breath, so I suspect they use very similar inputs. The animations are quite similar to existing SSB attacks, such as Bowser's Up Smash, and both attacks appear to chargable and centered on Mega Man, so my money is on the possibility that these are Mega Man's Up and Down Smash Attacks.

Super Arm:
Of COURSE this would be his throw. Duh. ;)

Let me know what you think, if you have an opinion to respond with. :)

#38 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Judging by the last video I watched, I'd say you're spot on.  I'm also glad that we didn't just get moves from MM2, because people like to pretend like it's the only one that matters.  Love that they've included from 1, 3, 6, 7, and 8.  Especially considering the first 3 I listed there are my top Megaman games. :P

I wasn't sure how Metal Blade was going to work, but I think you have the right idea with choosing a direction after pressing B.

Ooh, and I bet his Final Smash would be something like Flash Stopper. (except you could still shoot, hopefully)  Or maybe the Rush Jetpack from MM6/7, working kind of like how Yoshi's Final Smash does.

#39 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

What about any of the Dragon Quest heroes?  We haven't seen a single Dragon Quest character, and Dragon Quest totally defined the RPG library on the NES, as it was the first one.

Isaac is a great choice for a new character, but I think we're all forgetting about someone. Someone that should never be forgotten. Crono.

Why the sudden clamor for non Nintendo characters? Both of these are square characters. I know Megan(lol autocorrect thinks megan is megaman)and snake aren't exclusively Nintendo, but that doesn't mean they should add every rpg character that's made an appearance on a nintendo console.

#40 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Well Dragon Quest is the most popular RPG franchise in Japan.  It's totally defined the RPG genre starting out on the NES (as it was the first RPG game), and still stands strong today, mostly on Nintendo Consoles as well.  All the more reason at least one of the heroes from whatever game should make an appearance.  Would be cool if it was the hero from Dragon Quest 3....I always thought he looked the most stylish.

Edited by Koh, 12 June 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#41 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm ridiculously jaded and don't even like Mega Man that much but wow the Mega Man reveal trailer is actually really cool.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQB8cJTCgrI

Help

help

Literally this is the funniest thing ever. I am dying.

DE ad .

• Rambly and Radien like this

#42 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I've never heard of Dragon Quest which means most likely the general public has never heard of Dragon Quest which means that Nintendo doesn't care to put Dragon Quest in their game... I don't suspect there are going to be almost any third party characters besides Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man.

-Strike

#43 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

I remember them saying that they were going to try to include more third-party characters, so I don't think a lot of these predictions are too far off. I wouldn't be surprised if they go for people like Simon Belmont who were back on the NES, seeing as they mentioned they want more classic characters. As far as first party goes, I wouldn't mind seeing Magnus added.

#44 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:33 PM

I've never heard of Dragon Quest which means most likely the general public has never heard of Dragon Quest which means that Nintendo doesn't care to put Dragon Quest in their game... I don't suspect there are going to be almost any third party characters besides Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man.

-Strike

Because you've never heard of Dragon Quest means that the world has never heard of Dragon Quest...? :shrug: Dragon Quest, though I wouldn't expect it to be featured in Brawl for other reasons, has actually been a pretty popular series for quite some time. I don't think we should write off other third party characters in general either. Nintendo always has a few cards up their sleeves, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we saw one or two more third party characters at the very least.

• Jared likes this

#45 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Sakurai has said that he won't just put any third party character in the game but that the character has to be pretty famous. Obviously, though, as Adem said, my lone opinion in no way dictates what constitutes fame so I guess that characters from the series could appear how ever unlikely. Sorry.

-Strike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users