Elemental Damage

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:56 PM

Well, I tried that and.... Nope, same thing. Starts with 3 hearts, then 2 hearts and 13 HP, then 2 hearts and 7 HP, then immortal

#62 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

So, just to confirm:

Without the tunic, taking 42 damage results in a lost heart.

With the tunic, taking 42 damage does the 3 6 0 damage pattern.

The tunic is set to element 2 and defense 1.

#63 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

yup, that's it in a nutshell.

EDIT: Wait, no, now it's doing 1/4 heart damage when not tuniced, then another quarter heart, then immortal.

I hadn't tried it without the tunic, cuz the only thing I changed was switching the bundle for just the tunic. I didn't change the script, so I dunno why it's being weird, now.

Edited by Lineas, 22 August 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#64 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

Then I'm at a loss. You'll have to send me the file.

#65 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Ok, I sent it.

#66 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

Alright - I found the problem. It's kind of bad. It's fixable, but really annoying to do.  :(

Unlike monsters, Link's HP cannot go below 0. So instead of taking 42 * 4 = 168 damage like he was supposed to, he was taking his current health, 48 - which is as if the enemy was set at 12, meaning 1 forest damage. Once Link's HP went below 40, he couldn't be hurt.

To fix: Just make Link start off with a lot of extra HP - 4 times whatever the 'maximum' damage value an enemy could have. So if the maximum damage an enemy can do is 10 hearts with the 9th element - that'd be 109 * 4 = 436. Rounding up to the nearest heart container, that's 448 health for 28 hearts.

Then, in the code, set Link's HP to 0 if it falls below 448 - he's died.

And then, in the subscreen, make the heart indicators start at the 29th heart instead of the 1st heart.

I really wasn't expecting this.

Edit: Actually - I think I have a fix working. Hold off on that for now.

Edited by grayswandir, 22 August 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#67 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Oh, this is going to be fun... I'll get back to you once I've gotten it all fixed up. Oy, who knew this was going to turn into such a production!

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see your edit. good thing I hadn't started, yet

Edited by Lineas, 23 August 2013 - 01:26 AM.

#68 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

So, I was thinking about what you mentioned about the swords, and I was thinking I might change them to use a full MP meter to fire (so, you need a full MP meter, like the beam hearts of other swords, it doesn't use MP), but that would necessitate SOMETHING that drains magic, then I remembered that one of the ideas you had for these tunics was that getting hit by an enemy you're weak to would drain MP instead of doing extra damage, would changing the script code to that be easier than the workaround you posted before?

#69 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:16 PM

No, it's just detecting the elements in the first place that's causing the problems.

As for the workaround - I can't find a way to keep it from flashing your health wrong when you're scrolling between screens. So it looks like you'll have to do all the annoying stuff with the subscreen. I guess I'll start a topic asking about it, but I wouldn't get too hopeful.

#70 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:19 PM

Hm... fun. Ok, well, I'll just have to make do, or maybe I'll scrap the idea, if it becomes too much trouble, I can live with only 3 tunic upgrades.

EDIT: It's too bad there's no way to just call to the misc 11 of the enemy that CREATES the eweapon/hit, and just bypass setting the element in damage

Edited by Lineas, 25 August 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#71 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Like I said, as far as I know there's no good way to tell:

• Which weapon just damaged Link.
  • Which weapon just damaged an enemy.
  • Which enemy produced which weapon.

The only common thread between these is that the enemy sets the damage of the weapon, and the weapon damages Link by that amount. So the damage field is about the only communication channel between the different parts.

#72 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, I know, it's just one of those tiny limitations I wish wasn't there (but hardly anyone is affected by), lol. It's really not that big a deal, honestly, I never would have even suggested this idea if I had known how psychotically difficult it would be to set up. i had figured it would be very similar to how enemy damage was set up, and the small differences, unfortunately, made it a much bigger issue than I had expected.

#73 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

Honestly, the actual solution isn't too bad, it was just figuring out what the heck was going on that was. I mean, you already set up a custom subscreen and all. I just don't like how you have to manually place and edit 30 little hearts to get it working. :shrug:

#74 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Oh, I know, but A) It's a pain and I'm lazy, and B) I'm not too fond of the idea that you won't be able to track progress from the select quest screen (where normally, it shows the number of hearts you have), it seems sloppy to me, but meh, if it's not TOO overly tedious, I'll probably just do the subscreen editing thing.

EDIT: Luckily, I already manually placed all my hearts, because I just couldn't freaking figure out the normal heart meter option.

Edited by Lineas, 25 August 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#75 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:42 PM

Oh no, there's global scripts for saving and continuing. You can just swap in and out the heart values when you save and load the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users