Photo

Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#46 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:45 PM

Forced updating, is one major step toward the user fully losing control over their system. You are effectively giving Microsoft the right to do whatever they please, in the EULA. That is a gigantic loss of freedom over your operating system, all your software, and your entire investment, Microsoft could declare that all i686 software is unsupported, and at any time, remove the components that permit it to run, and you have no recourse.

Uh... not saying I entirely like the idea of the forced updates (I would prefer having a period of time to determine if I'm going to run into hardware conflicts and even though I'm going to be running Pro where it's possible to make that delay, it'd be nice in Home as well), but I think you're extrapolating a bit much out of this decision with your example of a potential future there.

Yes. Microsoft could theoretically do something like discontinue 32bit program and/or OS support and maybe that will happen eventually (most Windows 3.1 programs don't work in modern Windows OSes without tweaking after all and there is also Windows RT), but doing that at this point in time in their main operating system where there are still a lot of 32bit devices, hardware, and software is absolutely ridiculous. Even more ridiculous is the notion that Microsoft would force out an update on Windows 10 to purposely cripple billions of legit programs that ran just fine on it the day before just because the capability exists.

It's okay to be worried about the potential abuses that an update system like this could cause, but you also have to remember that Microsoft is a business and Windows 10 is being pushed as their next big main thing that's going to be spread across a variety of devices and hardware. They are not going to be trying to fuck their customers over in such a blatantly stupid manner. They might do things that are really disagreeable (Windows 8 and the start menu for example) and could break up existing workflow for some companies and users. They could potentially add restrictions a bit by taking certain paths in their design (or even this forced update philosophy). But such a drastic "fuck you" by completely destroying over half of their customers systems (including systems used for a lot of businesses) on purpose is not something they would do unless they are ready to kiss the company reputation goodbye.

And yes. I know you used Apple as an example of why Microsoft would be capable of being evil with their updates. But it goes back to your extrapolating here. Microsoft is not Apple. Microsoft is Microsoft. It's true that the capability exists (look at Skype for a better example since they did things like discontinue the extension api and the library that let other programs connect to Skype without having to use the Skype client and removed various other customizations), but Windows 10 is Microsoft's main baby at the moment. With how hard they are pushing this on multiple hardware specifications and trying to get people up-to-date, I highly doubt they are going to be going out of their way to purposely fuck people over in such a huge way. It doesn't make business sense at all. Also there's the whole thing where Apple iOS is distributed exclusively on Apple products made by Apple. Windows is being pushed onto a lot of devices that are not even remotely made by Microsoft. Big difference there as far as the operating system goals and what they are capable of getting away with there.

TL;DR: I can understand being worried about forced updates since there are ways that restrictions could be applied, but at the same time you have to remember that this is a multi-hardware OS and Microsoft is a company that wants to make money and it can't make money if it's bricking well over half of their users important company and personal software on purpose just because the ability to do so is there.

• HavoX likes this

#47 HavoX

HavoX

Has more posts in Doomworld than in PureZC

• Members

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

I'm actually surprised that you're dissing Micro$oft over forcing automatic updates on Win10. If you aren't going to update to Win10 because of this, that's fine but I doubt all the bitching and moaning will make them change their minds. (And I'm not going to change my mind over this either.)

Edited by HavoX, 02 September 2015 - 09:28 AM.

#48 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

The real issue I have is whether or not it will force driver updates through Windows Update (Often they cause issues compared to drivers provided by the hardware manufacturer website or lack certain functionality/software) and the forced install of new, likely unwanted, programs. Forced security updates though? Sure, fine, whatever.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 19 July 2015 - 01:26 PM.

#49 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

The only issues I have with windows 8 are its compatability with zc in full screen and random crashes. I dont see why everyone hates it otherwise.

#50 HavoX

HavoX

• Members

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:58 AM

The only issues I have with windows 8 are its compatability with zc in full screen and random crashes.

Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? 32-bit or 64-bit?
Are you using ZC 2.50 or ZC 2.50.1? Have you tried running it on windowed mode instead of full screen mode?

Edited by HavoX, 21 July 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#51 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 21 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

8.1 and yes, but I like fullscreen. It seems to have something to do with fps (or 8-bit video as saffith said)

#52 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

I'm just hoping its better than 8.1, it's total shit imo. 7 is the XP of our time. I heard things about built in VM's for win10 tho, very appealing to me.

#53 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 23 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

Why is 8.1 shit?

#54 HavoX

HavoX

• Members

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:23 AM

It works fine for me. ...But it's not for everyone.

Edited by HavoX, 24 July 2015 - 09:23 AM.

#55 HavoX

HavoX

• Members

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

Well, this should be interesting... Softpedia did a quick test to see how well Win10 would perform on a 7-year-old laptop.

Amazingly, it worked flawlessly! (Other than the boot-up process, but that's because the laptop doesn't have a SSD.)

Edited by HavoX, 24 July 2015 - 10:22 AM.

#56 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

http://www.microsoft.../windows-10-faq

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading? Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn’t reserve? Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is to reserve, but you can upgrade even if you don’t reserve.

Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following.

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading? Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Finally, some concrete info on these things that were especially important to at least me.
  • HavoX likes this

#57 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:10 PM

I hope that by 'clean install' it doesn't mean deleting everything, like all your files and shit.

#58 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

I hope that by 'clean install' it doesn't mean deleting everything, like all your files and shit.

It does, but it's optional. You can either upgrade, or reformat and start fresh.

#59 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:17 PM

It does, but it's optional. You can either upgrade, or reformat and start fresh.

I hope you're right. Having to backup a bunch of files and then reinstalling a bunch of programs again would be a pain in the ass.

#60 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

I hope you're right. Having to backup a bunch of files and then reinstalling a bunch of programs again would be a pain in the ass.

Go to the link Nicholas Steel posted. The question was if you could do a clean install if you wanted to (since by default you will just upgrade the OS without reformatting) and they confirmed you can do that if you want to. You are not required to reformat.

• Nicholas Steel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users