Photo

Screenshot of the Week 163

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 163 (54 member(s) have cast votes)

Contestants

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#46 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

None really stood out this time, but they are all decent though. So I just randomly voted for one. XD

#47 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 31 May 2007 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE(Trimaster001 @ May 27 2007, 06:50 PM) View Post

The Satellite: It's pretty messy. In my opinion there's way too many trees and it's a little overcrowded.

Uhh... it was a forest. It's supposed to have scattered trees and stuff. The only complaining that should be here is that the trees aren't very varied, and that the transition between the forest and desert is too boxy.

#48 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the save, Whispy. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm going to work on the boxiness, and tone down the trees in the bottom right. However, I really like those trees, so that's why those are the only ones you see here. icon_razz.gif

#49 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:42 PM

The score's so close now, I almost wish I would've voted for myself. icon_badrazz.gif I nulled though, like I always do.

#50 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(Johan @ May 30 2007, 12:52 AM) View Post

None of these screens are that good. Where is NoeL with his sexay pictures? icon_frown.gif
Ennafenom I vote for you. It is the most pleasing to my eye.

icon_lol.gif Lol, oh Johan, my lovable lapdog... here you go.

IPB Image

Draft title screen. I'll probably make a pixelart version of it to keep consistency with the quest, but it takes so long icon_frown.gif Photoshopping is so easy icon_razz.gif

(p.s. yay for jpegedness icon_razz.gif Photobucket automatically converts bmps into jpgs and I couldn't be bothered changing the format into something else)

(p.p.s. people, don't bother commenting on this shot)

Edited by NoeL, 31 May 2007 - 08:49 PM.

#51 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

Why, must I clean out Old Lady Simmon's Cave?

• Banned

Posted 31 May 2007 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ May 31 2007, 06:42 PM) View Post

The score's so close now, I almost wish I would've voted for myself. icon_badrazz.gif I nulled though, like I always do.

Yep its close And I am in the same boat as you icon_freak.gif

#52 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:46 AM

Alright, here be dah lowdown:

Billy Ronald: Really, it wasn't that bad... but I thought that the different statues in the middle were too varied. It looked like you just threw random stuff there.

Ennonfenom: Vote. Although the waterfall thing was wierd, the transparent water as a whole was pretty good. Plus, you were marginally varied in the grass, which gives the entire shot more realism.

Sharon Daniel: You almost got my vote. Really, it was pretty good. The graphics weren't as good as the others, but yours looked like it would be the most fun to actually play. Still, I stand by my decision... even after seeing the results. icon_eek.gif

Satellite: Good shot. But not amazing. My advice is the same as the others said on the boxy trees on the west side (story icon_razz.gif ), but I also think that you should replace the pedestal... it just... didn't mesh well with the rest of the DoR tileset, IMO.

Trimaster001: It actually looked really good for a dungeon entrance. It was simple, yet the arch brought a level of pizzaz into the shot. Still, I docked you for just general easy-to-do-ness. The other shots were much more technical.

Wow, close race here.

#53 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:48 AM

I posted without reading the thread, and obviously I missed a lot.

QUOTE(ennonfenom @ May 28 2007, 12:29 PM) View Post
IPB Image

Wow, that's incredible... at least, it is if it looks as good in motion as it does standing still. I'm very impressed that you did something like that with my water. icon_smile.gif Dang, now I'm almost sorry I switched to Minish Cap water.....or else I would've asked if you were willing to share. Oh well; the way MC water works is probably better for my design style...

QUOTE(The Satellite @ May 28 2007, 12:53 PM) View Post

Except now that the grass is cutting into the mountains a bit. icon_rolleyes.gif

It's tall grass. It's in front of the mountain, rather than cutting into it. I did something similar with tall grass in front of LTTP-style brush. It works pretty well, since under combos don't need to be entirely walkable.

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ May 29 2007, 05:52 PM) View Post

I personally find the DoR mountains to be repulsive, along with most of the trees that Radien edited in that set.

About the mountains: what can I say? Your personal taste. I've found enough people like them that they're at least worth using in a quest, and that's enough for me.

As for the trees, though, I find it rather perplexing that you're willing to use such a strong word to describe a series of custom edits that really didn't change all that much.

Besides which, everyone's continued attachment to the original Oracle trees seems terribly strange to me, since they are flat, use very little color (having been originally designed for three tones of grey), and don't match the perspective of any of the 2D Zelda games out there that weren't created for a Gameboy or Gameboy Color.

To tell the truth, I've abandoned almost all 2x2 trees in my quest, edited or not. If I use something that's green and smaller than 4x4 combos, it's probably a bush.

#54 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 1 2007, 12:48 AM) View Post

I posted without reading the thread, and obviously I missed a lot.
Wow, that's incredible... at least, it is if it looks as good in motion as it does standing still. I'm very impressed that you did something like that with my water. icon_smile.gif Dang, now I'm almost sorry I switched to Minish Cap water.....or else I would've asked if you were willing to share. Oh well; the way MC water works is probably better for my design style...

Thanks! Well I got some work still to do with these, water tiles, considering as of this moment they are two different layers of tiles, bottom is ocean tiles, and the top are the lttp lake tiles, but what I am planing on doing is taking a bunch of screen shoots, and then reripping them as a whole into the tile sheet, then re animating the as one layer! BTW that water is swim able too! <edit: Well I think that this is not going to happen! Because I did rip the tiles for that screen and animated the water but it just dosn't look as good!

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 1 2007, 12:48 AM) View Post

It's tall grass. It's in front of the mountain, rather than cutting into it. I did something similar with tall grass in front of LTTP-style brush. It works pretty well, since under combos don't need to be entirely walkable.

And also the under combo I edited too, so that when I cut that tall grass It displays the bottom of the cliff tile and the cut grass, at the same time!

I know I am yet to be the best at this zc'ing stuff but I think I am learning quick and I will be pretty darn good, because I have always been an artistic person, a can draw really really good by hand, so with a little practice I mite do a lot better, heres hope! And thanks once again Radien complement ! icon_biggrin.gif

Edited by ennonfenom, 01 June 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#55 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

But the problem with the positioning of the grass, ennon, is that, when you cut it, the undercombo will be cut grass with a chunk of the mountain gone underneath. icon_confused.gif

EDIT: w00t new heart starting to fill up via this post icon_w00t.gif

Edited by The Satellite, 01 June 2007 - 01:43 PM.

#56 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jun 1 2007, 11:42 AM) View Post

But the problem with the positioning of the grass, ennon, is that, when you cut it, the undercombo will be cut grass with a chunk of the mountain gone underneath. icon_confused.gif

EDIT: w00t new heart starting to fill up via this post icon_w00t.gif

As I said in the post above yours. I made a tile for the under combo that is the bottom of the cliff tile and also the cut grass tile at the same time, so when cutting it it shows up as if the cliff tile is still there and the cut grass at the same time!

Edit: see ts I made some tiles too fix that problem, note they need a little work though!
IPB Image

Edited by ennonfenom, 01 June 2007 - 03:47 PM.

#57 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:15 PM

They look pretty good, imo. icon_smile.gif

#58 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:07 PM

One thing I JUST noticed Ennonfenom... what's under those big rocks in the water? It looks like they're floating, in my opinion...

#59 EnnonFenom

EnnonFenom

• Banned

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jun 1 2007, 06:07 PM) View Post

One thing I JUST noticed Ennonfenom... what's under those big rocks in the water? It looks like they're floating, in my opinion...

Yeah I noticed that too, I was meaning to make some under water tiles for those so that they look as if there on the ground!

#60 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(ennonfenom @ Jun 1 2007, 09:45 AM) View Post

Thanks! Well I got some work still to do with these, water tiles, considering as of this moment they are two different layers of tiles, bottom is ocean tiles, and the top are the lttp lake tiles, but what I am planing on doing is taking a bunch of screen shoots, and then reripping them as a whole into the tile sheet, then re animating the as one layer! BTW that water is swim able too! <edit: Well I think that this is not going to happen! Because I did rip the tiles for that screen and animated the water but it just dosn't look as good!

Hmmm... now that I know a little more about it, I think I may understand how it works. So, what was the problem when you tried to combine the two? Was it that the two animations didn't sync up? If that's the case, I may be able to help you. They key is to have the right animation speeds, but the right number might be hard to figure out, because the way ZQuest calculates them is a little weird. icon_unsettled.gif

So, did that last screenshot actually have any translucent layers in use for the water, or did you replace one of the blues with a transparency color and put it on a layer above the other water type?

Personally, I think it will look best if, in the end, there are no translucent layers, but rather shadows on the water that bely what is beneath the surface.

QUOTE(ennonfenom @ Jun 1 2007, 09:45 AM) View Post

And also the under combo I edited too, so that when I cut that tall grass It displays the bottom of the cliff tile and the cut grass, at the same time!

I know I am yet to be the best at this zc'ing stuff but I think I am learning quick and I will be pretty darn good, because I have always been an artistic person, a can draw really really good by hand, so with a little practice I mite do a lot better, heres hope! And thanks once again Radien complement ! icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, that sounds like the way I did it, too... I just haven't tried it with mountains. (Yet?)

Good luck; practice is key. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jun 1 2007, 06:07 PM) View Post

Yeah, that's one reason I think I may prefer opaque water tiles with shadows on the water as a pseudo-translucency... Minish Cap has water that allows them to put anything they want at the water's edge, and it'll be sitting right at where the water touches it, but it won't look like it's actually "floating."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users