Metroid: Samus Returns

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#46 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

I didn't know much about Iwata 'til he died, then I found out how much of a creative game maker he was on top of everything else

Edited by Cukeman, 31 July 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#47 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

While I agree that this is a stupid thing to do, I want to know if this was put in place by Nintendo and not by the developers, instead of immediately pointing fingers at Nintendo.

By the way, just boycotting the whole game over the Amiibo isn't going to help Metroid's situation; I believe the success of this game and Prime 4 is pivotal to Metroid's future and fans boycotting the whole game isn't going to make Nintendo think that their fans support Metroid. If you don't like the DLC, isn't the better option for Metroid's future to just not buy the DLC rather than boycotting the whole game? If we boycott the DLC, there will be less chance of whoever is doing it attempting it again.

Edited by Orithan, 31 July 2017 - 06:03 PM.

• ywkls likes this

#48 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

I'd rather the franchise be dead than being used for horrible pratices like these. That also means they can hold the franchise hostage by literally threatening to kill it if we say we are not okay with this. Saying we are okay with these pratices as long as the franchise is alive just sends a message that the developers can do whatever they want because they think we'll do anything to keep the franchise alive.

Last, the sound test, art gallery and difficulty have been always rewards for beating the game normally and now they are hidden behind a paywall. To me that disgusting.

Edited by Norzan, 31 July 2017 - 06:20 PM.

• Anthus and Shane like this

#49 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

I'm getting the impression that a lot of people are judging this game ahead of its release, due to these DLC issues.

In my own opinion, this isn't a factor since I have never really purchased any DLC for any game. I've considered some, whenever it involved actual playable content that was new and not stuff like difficulty upgrades or artwork (which seems to be all that is being offered at the moment).

There may be other reasons why some feel strongly negative about this game (AM2R, anyone?) but getting outraged at the people making it because of bad decisions about DLC seems silly to me; especially since 99 percent of the games that I've owned and played don't have DLC and never will.

Will this choice affect the future of Metroid? Well, since before this announcement was made; it looked like Metroid didn't have a future as far as Nintendo was concerned- yes. Some people (like me) won't buy the Amiibo's and therefore, that means not as much money will be spent.

However, I don't believe we should judge this game based on the DLC available only through Amiibo's. There are a lot of recent games (like BOTW) which had a lot of content locked behind Amiibo's and even more behind DLC that wasn't available for a good while after the disc shipped. From what I've read, most of that content seems to be either new costumes or areas of increased difficulty. Not everyone wants either, so not every owner of BOTW has bought them.

I'd personally rather boycott the Amiibo's than anything else, since their very existence is a marketing ploy designed to get people to shell out even more cash on things they already want for very limited rewards. The game itself, I'll judge based on its own merits.

• Anthus likes this

#50 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

The way we can tell Nintendo we are not okay with these practices is by not buying the DLC. Likewise, just buying the game doesn't mean we are fine with such awful DLC practices. Like any other company, Nintendo measures the worth of whatever business decision they make in the money they get from them. This includes DLC and Amiibos.

This is how I see it:

• Buy the game = You support Nintendo and the game's developers to continue making more games. If enough buy the game, they get enough money off the sales from the game and they may make another Metroid game in the future.
  • Buy the DLC = You support this type of DLC. This will reinforce the idea that it is a good business decision to Nintendo. If enough people buy into it, Nintendo and other devs will continue pushing it in future games.
  • Buy the game, but not the DLC = You support Nintendo and the game's developers to continue making more games. If enough buy the game and enough don't buy the DLC, they get enough money off the sales from the game and they may make another Metroid game in the future but also tells Nintendo that DLC is not a wise business decision.
  • Boycott the game because of the DLC = You don't support Nintendo or Metroid at all. If not enough people buy Metroid, which is a very real possibility, Metroid will stay dead. However, it won't send Nintendo the message that the DLC is a bad business decision and may continue to push it in other games.

Until Nintendo literally does hold the franchise hostage and threatens to kill it if we don't buy the DLC, don't worry about that happening. This would be financial suicide for whatever franchise Nintendo does it to - Nintendo won't do it unless it is an absolute last resort.

Edited by Orithan, 31 July 2017 - 06:43 PM.

• ywkls likes this

#51 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:50 PM

Except basic content that were unlockables in previous games are already behind a paywall. Meaning if you want the difficulty, art gallery and sound test you literally have to pay the price of another game to get basic things that were free in the other games.

The main problem is that a lot of people will end up buying the amiibos because they either want the content or just the toy. This will send a message to Nintendo that we are apparently okay with this and that we expect this in the future. A few people boycotting this will change nothing.

These types of pratices is the reason we have microtransactions in remasters like Call of Duty Modern Warfare (yeah, in a near 10 year old game) and 50 bucks season passes with next to no content.

Last, this shouldn't exist in the first place, period. This is immoral and disgusting and some people saying that we shouldn't be pissed at this or that we shouldn't boycott because of this just baffles me.

Edited by Norzan, 31 July 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#52 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:57 PM

I'm sure the game will probably be solid, but truly "accepting" this DLC is not easy. I'm not buying amiibos. It's not so much the nature of the locked content, it's the model. You're telling me hard mode is worth almost half the price of the game? As well as an art gallery, and sound test? And a Metroid radar? It's scummy shit like that that pisses gamers off. This whole "industry standard" argument sucks too, cause most gamers hate it, yet enough of us must still be buying it cause companies keep doing it.

I'm all for Nintendo's success, and I'm glad we're even getting an official game at all, but that doesn't mean I have to accept this.

I will buy an actual copy of the game if it's good, as I do with 90% of new games I pirate. I purchased Shovel Knight (with the DLC) and Shantae Pirates Curse cause they were awesome games, and I want to support the company. Nintendo is a giant, and can (and is) doing whatever they want, and I'm not okay with that.

And I wasn't happy about BotW's dlc either, but it wasn't as dumb as this.

#53 Orithan

Orithan

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

I agree, this shouldn't exist in the first place. People do have the right to be upset. But it does exist and we have to play around it. That is the sad truth.

However, I believe gamers have the right to call others out on boycotting over this because frankly, it isn't going to work as many people thinks it will.

Boycotting the whole game is going to do nothing positive. If you think just boycotting is going to magically change things for the better, think again - It will just make Nintendo think that Metroid is not profitable and Nintendo will just take that model elsewhere and plague more games with it. By doing that, you are fighting against the game; but not the model. The model will persist until people show that they are fighting it; that is buying the game and not buying the DLC. Buying the game but not buying the DLC and making the complaints means you support the game but don't support the model. This has nothing to do with "industry standard" or anything like that, but it has everything to do how big companies view their consumer base.

By boycotting the game, you are telling Nintendo that you don't support Metroid. You are not telling them you don't support the model.

By buying the game and boycotting the DLC, you are telling Nintendo that you support Metroid. However, you are also telling Nintendo that an extra difficulty mode is not worth half the price of the game. You are also telling them that extra concept art is not worth half the price of the game. You are also telling them that the sound test is not worth half the price. Etc.

I'm probably just reiterating myself at this point so I will leave this be for now.

Also tip: Don't let your emotion get in the way of making your final judgement on the situation. Making judgements based off emotion rarely works out well in the long run.

Edited by Orithan, 31 July 2017 - 07:27 PM.

• ywkls likes this

#54 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:57 PM

I don't think the franchise is in any danger of dying. It's always been a long time between releases. How long between Metroid 1 and 2? Five years. Until Super Metroid? Three years. Until Fusion/Prime? Eight years. That's four games in sixteen years. Nintendo has always been careful to take their time creating new content. In the next five years we got Prime 2/3, Zero Mission, Pinball and Hunters. That's an average of one game per year, extremely unusual for the franchise. Three years later we got Other M. Six years later we got Federation Force. Two games in nine years? Sounds a lot like business as usual for the series. The only time we ever got a lot of Metroid was when Retro Studios came in to help Nintendo and made a trilogy.

To this day I still don't get people worried about Metroid being over until Samus Returns and Prime 4 were announced. I don't think that was a close call. I think it was business as usual. Remember they had plans for Metroid: Dread and changed their mind? Metroid just isn't a prolific series, never has been. I wish people could keep a cool head, worrying about Metroid being dead while Nintendo had two games in the works. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Edited by Cukeman, 31 July 2017 - 07:58 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#55 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

@Orithan; Again, i'd rather the franchise be dead than have these terrible pratices. And again, it doesn't matter if i boycott or not, a lot people will still buy these amiibos and because of this Nintendo will think we want this.

This pratice is also not exclusive to this game, Splatoon 2 also has crap like this like gear loadout being locked being amiibos. This shit is going to start to seep into every franchise because it already is. Specially, when it was specifically stated that this would never happen but i guess Nintendo doesn't care that Iwata said that. And if Nintendo is not at fault, why didn't they stopped this? It seems to me this was actually their idea.

Now i'm very fearful for Prime 4. If i see bullshit like Hypermode locked behind a Phazon Suit Samus amiibo, i'm done.

Edited by Norzan, 31 July 2017 - 08:12 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#56 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:36 PM

Um... so I'm no fan of Amiibo, don't get me wrong, but for once, I'm gonna be the one asking "Are we maybe over-reacting a bit?" The art gallery is locked behind an Amiibo. Oh no, how dare those scoundrels at Nintendo! I'd rather see this beloved series die that have to play through a game without an art gallery.

I mean seriously. If they were locked big things behind them, that'd be one thing, but this a purely optional easter egg type deal that doesn't affect the game in the slightest. Let's not lose our heads here.

Keep in mind, it is a tricky situation from them. They have to give something to the people who actually bought Amiibos. At the same time, it can't be anything too huge or people who didn't get them will feel left out. So traditionally, it's been stuff like costumes or cosmetics. I think art gallery and sound test are worse choices in that they really don't feel all that special. If I'd actually gotten an Amiibo (something I'd never buy, discounting the one I got as a present from a certain someone special), and all I got was an art gallery, I'd feel a bit cheated.

In conclusion though, Nintendo C&D'd AM2R which is absolutely unforgivable so fuck them all and I hope they go out of business.
  • Rambly, Anthus, Eppy and 2 others like this

#57 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

...I mean seriously. If they were locked big things behind them, that'd be one thing, but this a purely optional easter egg type deal that doesn't affect the game in the slightest. Let's not lose our heads here.

Keep in mind, it is a tricky situation from them. They have to give something to the people who actually bought Amiibos. At the same time, it can't be anything too huge or people who didn't get them will feel left out.

Huh, I didn't really think about that. I guess when you put it that way, it kind of makes sense, but still tho. That article I linked on the last page actually had a good point too, about using cards instead of figurines officially. Now, if I was a younger me, I'd totally be about collecting all the amiibos cause I'd be a kid with a disposable income. The way I see it now, the cost of the amiibo doesn't have a value inline with the pricing. If the big N made cards instead of figurines, they'd be cheaper to manufacture, they'd probably be able to make, and store a lot more of them.

I think someone else said this, but when they first announced amiibos, I was immediately cynical, and this is exactly why. Can you imagine, in Mario Odyssey if you have to buy the coin amiibo to pick up coins, or the Bunny Gangster amiibo (for each) to fight the bosses? Now that would be enough to make me just be done. Especially in a post-BotW world. :P

In conclusion though, Nintendo C&D'd AM2R which is absolutely unforgivable so fuck them all and I hope they go out of business.

Yeah, I agree here. I'm taking my Wii U, and Virtual Boy back. I'm trading them in for a Wonderswan Color. (Whoa, didn't know Gunpei Yokoi made the WS after leaving Nintendo in '96 after the virtual boy flopped.)

• Russ likes this

#58 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

Just a note regarding the Metroid 2 amiibo; Even if you wanted them, they're all sold out already at most retailers in the US and you have a very slim chance of getting it off Amazon or at a local store on release day. Other countries beyond the US will vary of course, but they'll be pretty difficult to get regardless from the looks of it. Whether people detest this practice or not (I personally do), they're all gonna sell out because Nintendo has been intentionally understocking a lot of the amiibo as of late including these.

I personally only wanted the Samus amiibo, but it's a 2 pack with the Metroid in the US (of the $16 per figure variety) so screw that. Not really interested in the game either as I played the original, don't see the game having enough content to be worth the $40 price tag and I'm kinda broke.

#59 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:31 AM

You're telling me hard mode is worth almost half the price of the game?

I'm pretty sure it's an entirely new difficulty mode separate from the actual hard mode.

Also, it's just an incentive to buy Amiibo. The sound tests, concept art, and the like don't really impact gameplay, so why boycott the game over it? 

#60 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:35 AM

If the big N made cards instead of figurines, they'd be cheaper to manufacture, they'd probably be able to make, and store a lot more of them.

Remember the e-reader? Yeah, me neither.

• Orithan and Cukeman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users