Photo

Sonic Generations

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

http://kotaku.com/#!...next-sonic-game

And so it was hinted at something big being put together for Sonic's 20th Anniversary, which happens this year, and now we see the first teaser for it, which includes not one, but two Sonics. And the second Sonic is in the old-school design. So what does this mean? Sonic goes back in time (or something else crazy happens) and meets his old self? Or just a metaphor for some kind of returning to roots segment?

... or is this going to be that "compilation" game that was rumored about, where the best Sonic levels would be taken and compiled into one game?

So many theories, so little time. And it's supposedly to be released this year on PS3 and Xbox 360. Other things I've heard include that Crush 40 have been doing some work and the song "Escape From The City" from Sonic Adventure 2 had been rerecorded by the original singers. Could support the compilation theory. Not quite sure. And "SonicGenerations.com" has been registered apparently. So yeah. Could be interesting.

inb4 someone links the Sonic Cycle image

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

Right now, I don't really care what it is. I'm psyched for it already. My guess is it's the compilation game we've been hearing about. it would explain the old school Sonic and the re-recording of Escape from the City. But it's a bit early to guess at this point.

I'm just hoping they get Jason Griffith to voice the new Sonic, and Jaleel White to voice the old one. It'd probably never happen, but a guy can hope, right?

#3 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:54 PM

Seems to me it would be more than just two sonics running around. How many styles and iterations has he seen? Besides, I'm sure they can find *some* way to bring 2006 Sonic back to life.

#4 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

I'm actually sort of interested in this...

If they bring back Chao Garden, it's an insta-buy for me. 8D

#5 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

Well, I hate the Sonic Cycle. Personally, I don't even like Sonic Colours, because it's too kiddy. Have that game.

I'm looking forward to the soundtracks of this game! I wanna hear new Crush 40 songs. Lol, 2 sonics ;D

#6 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

Ugh, really? No Wii or DS? Cheap >.>
Oh well, i'll tell my brother to buy it for his PS3.
Anyway, it looks great!
Excited icon_biggrin.gif

#7 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

Wow so SEGA finally had a windfall of money from there Sonic Colours game and they blew it all on a short advertisement of what they are trying to make.

#8 Banjo7J

Banjo7J

Defender

• Members

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hm. Well it certainly leaves a lot to the imagination. I doubt the time travel theory though. Also, what is this alleged compilation game rumour? More specifically, what games was it rumored to be a compilation of? Original Sonics (Sonic 1-3, Sonic & Knuckles) New Sonics (Sonic Adventure onwards) or both? Original Sonics would make most sense as they're all very similar but the trailer implies that if this is the compilation game, it will be both generations, meaning it would require multiple different game engines, therefore be a pretty big game; and it would be pretty confusing to people who hadn't played some of the newer games, not only how it is controled but what is going on plot-wise as the newer generation is more plot-heavy than the old one.

Anyway, my theory is that it is indeed a compilation game of both generations and that it will be called Sonic Generations. Or Sega has became Valve and Sonic Generations is a red herring. The fact that some Dreamcast games have been released on Steam supports this theory. icon_razz.gif

Also, yay for double time-paradox in Satellite's post. 1) Hurr durr Sonic trailer. 2) He is before the person who posts the Sonic Cycle, but he posted the sonic cycle, therefore is before himself.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:23 AM

The trailer is so familiar to the Sonic Heroes opening cinematic xD Maybe a Sonic Heroes 2? twice the number of characters!

#10 Sir Evan

Sir Evan

Adept

• Members

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

Sega really likes these vague trailers. Remember Project Needlemouse, anyone?

Also, I apologize for not having a link to the article, but Sega is supposedly working on three Sonic games this year. Should be entertaining to watch the critics pan them for the sake of being Sonic games.

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ Apr 9 2011, 07:14 PM) View Post

Also, I apologize for not having a link to the article, but Sega is supposedly working on three Sonic games this year.

Well, one of them is a Mario and Sonic game (forget who let that slip, but someone said it was being worked on), and the other is being developed for the 3DS. So that means all three of the games are accounted for now, more or less.

If for nothing else, you gotta give Sega credit for pumping the games out so fast. We got Sonic 4, Sonic Racing, and two versions of Colors last year, and now we're getting Generations, Sonic 3DS, and Mario and Sonic. Does Sega every let their employees go home?

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

OFFICIAL GAMEPLAY TRAILER

I am spazzing out. Maybe prematurely. But this trailer just looks pure epic, and if the game manages to be as good as it looks, well, I'll be happy. But Sega does like to tease, right? Well, eh, I dunno.

The one thing I'll complain about: Smith's voice. For the love of all that's holy, if you must have him be Sonic's voice actor, at least get someone else (Drummond or Griffith?) to voice classic Sonic. It just doesn't fit, at all, and it makes me wince a little when I heard it during the classic Sonic gameplay. Meh, oh well; I am officially psyched for this game. Again, maybe prematurely, but we'll see.

#13 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:13 PM

You know, I don't know why everybody hates the sonic characters. Tails and Knuckles are great. Amy and shady are good. Cream and cheese are good as well. And everything after that is okay I guess. It's just the story and dialog to the characters that are bad.

The game look kick ass, but I only have a boring old Wii...

Edited by Keiichi123, 18 April 2011 - 11:13 PM.

#14 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:20 PM

I am officially hyperventilating. It's probably too early to judge, but this just looks so freakin' awesome. The Classic Sonic sections looks like they took the original Genesis games and upgraded the graphics without changed the gameplay at all, which is a HUGE plus for me. And the Modern Sonic sections look like they play almost exactly like Unleashed. I'm a bit nervous that they seemed so... straight line with nothing in it, almost like Colors, but I'm guessing it's just to show off the graphics and whatnot and the actual game will have Unleashed-styled levels, not just gameplay. Let's hope.

#15 Bayta

Bayta

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:32 PM

The Sonic Cycle immediately comes to mind.

I really want this game to be good. Judging from the trailer, it looks like it will be. I'm hesitant to get my hopes up though. I don't have a PS3 or an XBox 360 though, so it really doesn't affect me much anyway. :/

Edited by Beta Link, 18 April 2011 - 11:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users