Photo

What Do You Think About Jinxes?

Jinxes Opinion Poll

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Jinxes Opinion

Generally, how much do you like Jinxes?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BtjCraft

BtjCraft

Praise Double Helix!

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:00 AM

What do you guys think about Jinxes Bubbles?

Personally, I severely dislike them. I don't really hate Jinxes Bubbles, because they are OK in some cases. I specifically hate them when there are 3+ of them in a single screen/room, but I'm OK with them if there are only 1 or 2, and there is plenty of space. I really don't like it when in a custom quest the author decides to stick like 5+ jinxes in my face, and it really sucks the fun out of the quest for a few moments(or maybe up to few hundred). But I do enjoy it when it is added for a specific challenge with a reward at the end, like in Hero of Dreams where you can't use your sword until you get the Caveman's Stepladder.

The only game that I've played that uses Jinxes Bubbles well(besides Hero of Dreams) is Zelda 2, since the Jinx Bubble populations are well spread out, and they're patterns are very predictable, but are still worthy obstacles(EDIT: I say this because they only take away a few EXP points). Plus, it has awesome looking Big Jinxes Bubbles.

(EDIT: Epic fail! It recently came to my attention that the enemies I'm referring to are called Bubbles. Jinxes are just the "no sword/item" effect that Bubbles give. So, take this as a lesson to double check as often as possible. What's even worse was that everybody called them Jinxes too, so I caused some unintentional trolling. I am quite embarrassed, I apologize for this, and I hope that I do not do that again.)

Edited by BtjCraft, 27 September 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#2 DCEnygma

DCEnygma

you're going to have a bad time

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

inb4:

Spoiler

I actually really dislike the permanent jinxes in general, though the temporary ones are no big deal. My biggest pet peeve actually is when Jinxes aren't set as the first few enemies in the room, so they depopulate as you defeat the other enemies.

EDIT: Voted for the last option, btw. I don't mind the temporary ones and it all comes down to how they're used.

• Jared likes this

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

Voted for the last option in the poll. Heres my honest opinion on them: I love them a lot, but not if the quest maker does not use a script that makes an indicator in some way, that displays wether or not you're jinxed, or which jinx type it is. Think of Wind Waker. These blue fog skull jinxers. There were used perfectly right, because the jinx is indicated (blue fog surrounds you) and they are not used too often or too much. AND they are also killable wich is a big plus and should be done this way in ZC too. :)

#4 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

inb4:

Spoiler

Nidorina, Beedrill, Haunter, Squirtle, Chansey.

I like Jinxes because they are a perfect trolling tool. :)

#5 Valientlink

Valientlink

~V@LîΣÑTLîÑK~

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'm not very superstitious personally.

My opinion varies between different conditions

Edited by Brian, 26 September 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#6 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Like anything else, they're a design tool. They can be a great mechanic or terrible depending on how they're used.

• strike and Haylee like this

#7 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

They're okay in some instances, but they're often used for artificial difficulty that I don't like.

Permanent jinxes should be used even less, especially if there's enemies that are only killed by the Sword. No one wants to sit through a crowded room full of bubbles trying to get hit a blue bubble or waiting for a temporary jinx to end.

Voted for the last option as well.

#8 Love For Fire

Love For Fire

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

It depends on how they are used. They can add an extra element of challenge, like fighting Manhandla with only the sword, or foes like Gleeok and Patra without a sword forces you to come up with different ways to kill them. Taking away all items and having the player avoid enemies while defenseless or battle with the mirror shield or room mirrors can be cool ideas as well. I feel like I found creative uses for bubbles in my own quest. Armageddon Quest is also a great example of how bubbles can be used well (for those that can get through it O_o)

• Jared, Evan20000 and Umbra like this

#9 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

I dont mind Jinxes... even if they are annoying... i guess that's what there used for.

As long as there is an anti Jinx.

:D

OH GOD THE JINXES IN swag.qst  :O

Never again :P

Edited by Gouanaco, 27 September 2013 - 02:16 AM.

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:16 AM

OH GOD THE JINXES IN swag.qst  :O

Never again :P

...D:

Edited by Shane, 27 September 2013 - 02:16 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jinxes, Opinion, Poll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users