Photo

Making a remake of a zelda game

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Making a remake of a zelda game

If you were to remake any zelda game w/ ZC, what would it be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:53 PM

I was wondering, which game would most people want to remake? Please don't think about the difficulty of making it. Think about the enjoyment. icon_wink.gif

Edited by ZebraStallion, 26 November 2007 - 09:54 PM.

#2 Accr89

Accr89

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:06 PM

I voted phantom hourglass I think it would be a different experience on ZeldaClassic.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:41 PM

Well, if we count only enjoyment, then it would be probably MM. True that that's the Zelda game that I dislike the most, but a time system and equippable masks would spice up any ZC quest for sure.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:56 PM

Remaking PH sounds fun...

I've thought about doing Wind Waker, but diminishing the overworld, and making it mostly land.

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

Remaking 3D Zelda games into ZC is very impractical. It's not just that it's in 3D... it's that they're items and environments are so sophisticated that you'll be floundering badly if you try to create ZC equivalents of everything.

I think Wind Waker is the worst of the choices. Boating just can't work in ZC. I'm willing to bet Phantom Hourglass presents similar problems, but I haven't played it yet.

Majora's Mask is the next one out. ZC doesn't have anything resembling a transformation. It MIGHT be possible to create transformations with scripting, but it'd be immensely complex.

That leaves OoT and TP, the two most traditional of the 3D Zeldas. Both probably present the same environment- and item-related difficulties. Between the two, OoT's time travel would probably be easier to render than wolf transformations, and furthermore, TP's dungeons and overworld are abso-friggin-lutely huge.

So, unsurprisingly, I'm going to vote for OoT, the oldest game in the list. But my personal advice is to drop the idea of recreating any of them. icon_shrug.gif Yeah, I know you told me not to think of the difficulty, but I use ZQuest so often that I can't separate the two topics.

#6 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

Phantom Hourglass would be the easiest to redo, by far. You could even perhaps script the boating, but if you didn't want to, you could just have cutscenes where you go over, talk to Linebeck and he says 'which island do you want to go to now' and you select Bomb Isle or whatever.

If you were feeling really adventurous, _L_ allowed us to utilise the mouse's (x,y) coordinates in zscript, although I think the routines required to get any kind of functionality out of those would be ridiculous.

Transformations?
Well we have Link Tile Modifiers.
It's easy enough to give Link an item that moves his tiles down to a new form via a script, and then remove it again at a later date. I've just been doing it actually.
The wolf would be rather more complicated; transforming to Link suddenly being larger than 16x16 is a different matter entirely, although it's certainly not impossible.

Which reminds me, I really need to finish off the final dungeon in PH. I got a really good time up the checkpoint, then got bored and started playing Fire Emblem.

Edited by Joe123, 04 December 2007 - 07:10 PM.

#7 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:36 PM

or maybe remake LTTP. icon_razz.gif

#8 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:37 PM

That would be really awesome if it was done well. DFW.

Edited by Evan the great, 04 December 2007 - 07:37 PM.

#9 Matto63

Matto63

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

I actually had a dream of making TP into 2d of course there would have to be a new editor option for like switching characters id switch normal link then Hero Link and through missions back and forth twilight link.The image of all the links are in a picture in my mind
just looking into my mind i know how i would want them to look like.I voted TP because imagining the awesome 2d game play would be fun.

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Dec 5 2007, 01:36 AM) View Post

or maybe remake LTTP. icon_razz.gif

I wanted to make it, but people said a sequel would have been better. And now it's in my sig with big red letters. But if anybody wants to make an LttP remake, I welcome the idea. Sharon Daniel remaked Mothula so perfectly.

#11 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:52 PM

I think Link's Awakening is in order personally. I'm pretty sure the system could handle almost all of it quite easily nowadays.

Edited by Joe123, 05 December 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#12 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

The main flaw with remaking 3D games into 2D is the change in environment setup. You can't hookshot onto the ceiling in 2D, for instance, unless you set up something really crafty. Sorry. I can't avoid this fact, no matter what.

Phantom Hourglass will be difficult in another aspect: item usage. The hammer looks like Link is using the Force (to partially quote Moonwhisper on 2.11's early slashing sprite issues. icon_blah.gif ). Grappling hook bridges haven't been implemented, yet (unless the developers got inspiration from Goof Troop for SNES). Et cetera. But, with some alterations, it can be done.

Wind Waker: All I want to say at the moment in regards to travelling is "piddle-paddle piddle-paddle." icon_razz.gif

I guess I could vote for Twilight Princess, since the custom bosses would be fun to make.
On a side note, I've been doing some thinking on how to implement Stallord's second phase into a ZC quest. After all, I might be using it.

#13 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:56 AM

Actually, they're all very possible... I wouls have made an overworld that didn't look like the one in the game, but have the same areas. Then I would have made new dungeons, but with the same theme. Then put in the same story. Volia'

#14 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:16 AM

well amigo, if YOU feel its THAT easy, then go do it. icon_razz.gif

#15 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:25 AM

XD
Now... I didn't say it was easy, did I? icon_razz.gif
But no, I won't do it. If I want to play any of those games, will boot up the original instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users