Trouble Picking a Tileset

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 August 2015 - 03:53 PM

I'm having trouble deciding on a tileset for a new quest I want to make.  I can't seem to find a good tileset in the database that fits all of the criteria I'm looking for:

-It should be easy to use

-It shouldn't be heavily based on Link to the Past or the GB games, as I plan to have areas from both, and I want them to have a new look

-It shouldn't be based on classic, as I strongly dislike the way that classic mountain tiles look

-It should be complete and for ZC 2.5

-it shouldn't be a "themed" (I can't think of a better word to describe it) tileset, like the FF tilesets

I know that's a tall order, but if anybody can point me in the direction of such a tileset, it would be appreciated.

• Jared likes this

#2 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:48 PM

Right now I'm working on compiling Sheik's and Bourkification's BSMC tiles into a real, usable tileset. The overworld stuff is almost done. Would you like the beta to play with? Here are some shots with what is possible so far:

zelda005_zpsb01m2mnn.pngzelda006_zpstsnbpa6a.png

Screenshot_1_zpsbn7zb4yl.png

• Joelmacool, MarinaraSauce, Dark Ice Dragon and 1 other like this

#3 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:06 PM

Right now I'm working on compiling Sheik's and Bourkification's BSMC tiles into a real, usable tileset. The overworld stuff is almost done. Would you like the beta to play with?

Sure.  I've seen you post screenshots elsewhere, and it looks really nice.

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

The GB zelda games and ALTTP have both very different art style though, just saying.

If you want something easy to use, I can recommend koten, but since it's similar to classic in some regards maybe it's not your cup of tea.

#5 Logos

Logos

Gnome Child

• Members

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

The only thing I know of that fits your criteria is the Origins III tileset.

#6 Kivitoe

Kivitoe

Sponsored by Taco Bell

• Members

Posted 22 August 2015 - 08:19 PM

I recommend the Dance of Rememberance(Hybird) tileset.

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 23 August 2015 - 04:08 AM

Why not the BS Tileset? It's severely underused and you can make some impressive stuff in it if used creatively.

• Demonlink and coolgamer012345 like this

#8 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:00 AM

Why not the BS Tileset? It's severely underused and you can make some impressive stuff in it if used creatively.

Uhhh... the only thing this set fails in is that it isn't compiled for 2.50. :P And, it is "technically" based on classic. Still, I wish there was a 2.50 BS Tileset.

• Shane likes this

#9 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 23 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

Very true. It still roughly fits the criteria nonetheless and is usable. And maybe I am wrong, but I think he just wanted to avoid classic based tilesets with mountains that don't have perspective or depth. The mountains here a really cool to use IMHO. :P

And yeah, maybe someone should port it to 2.50. I would use it for fun.

#10 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

I recommend the Dance of Rememberance(Hybird) tileset.

I actually tried this tileset, and that's why I decided to include the "easy to use" point.

The only thing I know of that fits your criteria is the Origins III tileset.

I didn't actually know this tileset existed.  I might consider it.

And, it is "technically" based on classic.

Shane was right; if there was a BS set for 2.50, I would have considered it.  I just meant I didn't like the mountain tiles that portray no sense of, well, anything.

• Demonlink likes this

#11 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

I use the Origin's III tileset, and as long as you are good with using layers it is quite a good one to use, not too complex and has a user friendly layout, though I will admit I've had to do some modifications when using some tiles and add in new ones for what I wanted. This is because I try to do some overly complex things at times to fit my vision rather than what certain things where designed for :P

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Have you considered Koten?

I'm not sure if you consider that to be 'based on classic', as it's NES-esque.

Firebird is another fresh choice.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 19 September 2015 - 08:24 AM.

#13 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:05 PM

Have you considered Koten?

I'm not sure if you consider that to be 'based on classic', as it's NES-esque.

Firebird is another fresh choice.

-It shouldn't be based on classic, as I strongly dislike the way that classic mountain tiles look

The mountains in Koten have the same perspective-less appearance as classic so I don't think Koten would be a likely accepted answer. However, Firebird is a great option though I only recommend it if you're aware of the incomplete state it is in and if you're willing to work with it. It's just the lack of enemies and NPCs that cripple the tileset greatly.

#14 Limebeer

Limebeer

You can do anything with the abuse of the Animal Husbandry skill

• Members

Posted 19 September 2015 - 05:43 PM

The mountains in Koten have the same perspective-less appearance as classic so I don't think Koten would be a likely accepted answer. However, Firebird is a great option though I only recommend it if you're aware of the incomplete state it is in and if you're willing to work with it. It's just the lack of enemies and NPCs that cripple the tileset greatly.

That's really easily remedied by ripping the enemy/NPC tiles from other sets, which you can really get alot enemy tiles done at once, so I wouldn't say it's all that crippled ;)

Speaking of, the Origin III tileset doesn't have that varied of an NPC cast, it really is set up for Zelda 1 remakes (as the quest it was made for WAS Zelda 1, just updated graphics), which means there's not any set up NPC's, just Guys. So if you want to have villagers out in the open you'd have to make your own NPCs, either via ripping tiles, making some by scratch, or setting them up using the Guy graphics.

#15 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:37 AM

That's really easily remedied by ripping the enemy/NPC tiles from other sets, which you can really get alot enemy tiles done at once, so I wouldn't say it's all that crippled ;)

I don't know about that. Firebird has a unique style, and just ripping from other sets might prove to make things style clashy. Call me a perfectionist, but I personally wouldn't want to do that. However, you are going the right direction as most Firebird enemies and Link himself are based on the Gameboy Zelda sprites. So EZGBZ characters and enemies are good for a base or placeholder. But either way, for the standard designer, or the super nit picky perfectionist such as myself, it cripples the tileset to say the least. But if you're happy with ripping enemies from other tilesets, I'm not going to be against it and I encourage it. But I personally would prefer enemies that were made for Firebird. Same goes for NPCs.

• bigjoe and Jared like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users