How to Make Dungeons Interesting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

When using block puzzles, I'd recommend the permanent block secret script. There's nothing worse than having to solve a block puzzle over and over again. :P

I learned that from the pirate ship level in Souls 2.
  • David and SparksTheUnicorn like this

#32 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:13 PM

I stated this in another thread, but I've always wanted to see a quest in which after obtaining an item that is central to the quest, (like the master sword for example) the player can now use that item in the first room of every dungeon to open up a "second half", which contains a more powerful version of the item in the first half.

#33 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

When using block puzzles, I'd recommend the permanent block secret script. There's nothing worse than having to solve a block puzzle over and over again. :P

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. It can be really annoying to do puzzles over again.

I stated this in another thread, but I've always wanted to see a quest in which after obtaining an item that is central to the quest, (like the master sword for example) the player can now use that item in the first room of every dungeon to open up a "second half", which contains a more powerful version of the item in the first half.

That's actually a rather interesting idea! I might use that for my future quests, actually! :D

#34 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

Just wondering, for those that can't be bothered with scripts, would it be okay if a puzzle just leads to an empty room with an item that you need so there is no reason to ever solve the puzzle a second time?

• David likes this

#35 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

Just wondering, for those that can't be bothered with scripts, would it be okay if a puzzle just leads to an empty room with an item that you need so there is no reason to ever solve the puzzle a second time?

Yeah, I'd say that that's fine, in my opinion. As long as you don't have to solve the puzzle more than like 3 times or something. :)

#36 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

If you're using block puzzles without a permanent secret script, please, please, please do this.  Absolutely in no circumstances make a block puzzle that you have to backtrack through.  If it's a simple one... maybe.  But if it's a long block puzzle, that can be agonizing for the player.

• David and SparksTheUnicorn like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users