How to Make Dungeons Interesting

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Usually I don't post that much on the forums.. but I really need help. I'm not sure how to make dungeons interesting.. Does anyone have any tips? I'm using the classic tile set, it's really hard making interesting looking dungeons...

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Classic by itself doesn't really have much going for it.  But in general, you could add water falls, trees, bushes, and other foliage and nature things, to show the dungeon has ingrained itself in an environment.

• JetBox likes this

#3 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Maybe you will find this useful:

http://www.purezc.ne...e=tiles&id=1305

• Avaro, TheLegend_njf and SirKazuma like this

#4 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Well, to make it more interesting graphic wise with Classic, it's probably best not to use the default dungeon template because it is overused a lot and can be quite boring. You can still use those tiles, but make them not confined to just a square every screen. Like Koh said, immerse the dungeon in the environment. Take the Moblin Fort from Hero of Dreams for example. It has a dungeon preface, but you can explore outside the fort in the grounds, and inside, along with the outskirts. And inside, the rooms are open and made to fit how he like it. There are also some really good custom tiles for dungeons Lightwulf made that you should check out.

#5 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

Maybe you will find this useful:

http://www.purezc.ne...e=tiles&id=1305

Wow, those are great! Thank you!

Well, to make it more interesting graphic wise with Classic, it's probably best not to use the default dungeon template because it is overused a lot and can be quite boring. You can still use those tiles, but make them not confined to just a square every screen. Like Koh said, immerse the dungeon in the environment. Take the Moblin Fort from Hero of Dreams for example. It has a dungeon preface, but you can explore outside the fort in the grounds, and inside, along with the outskirts. And inside, the rooms are open and made to fit how he like it. There are also some really good custom tiles for dungeons Lightwulf made that you should check out.

I'm actually using some of Lightwulf's overworld tiles! Haha :P

Classic by itself doesn't really have much going for it.  But in general, you could add water falls, trees, bushes, and other foliage and nature things, to show the dungeon has ingrained itself in an environment.

I tried doing this with my first dungeon, adding in some rocks to make it feel like there were some cave-ins. I think my dungeons will improve drastically with the tiles AirLuigi showed me! :)

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll definitely keep them in mind!

Another issue, however, should all dungeons in classic be strictly "dungeons", Do you think, for example, a small archipelago of islands would be interesting?

#6 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

You can make dungeons interesting by making later dungeons freeform (non-squared) and have them have central gimmick puzzles.

#7 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Wow, those are great! Thank you!

I'm actually using some of Lightwulf's overworld tiles! Haha :P

I tried doing this with my first dungeon, adding in some rocks to make it feel like there were some cave-ins. I think my dungeons will improve drastically with the tiles AirLuigi showed me! :)

Thank you all for your suggestions, I'll definitely keep them in mind!

Another issue, however, should all dungeons in classic be strictly "dungeons", Do you think, for example, a small archipelago of islands would be interesting?

You can make dungeons even with overworld tiles or caves. There aren't restrictions. Use your imagination and do something that you will like to play, that's the secret.

#8 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:41 PM

For me, if you're just going with a run of the mill NES dungeon, it can be tough to make it interesting. One thing that I personally do is to give each level a "personality". Have some kind of gimmick for each dungeon. Perhaps one dungeon could have fans that blow you back or pull you in towards them to screw up your footing. Maybe another has you have to solve a block puzzle by using the dungeon item to make it solvable. That to me is a good way to help with dungeons that are just 12x7 square rooms.

A good gimmick that works nicely goes a long way. For instance, you might have one where you get a hint that says "Whistle in the middle of the empty room" and a bit later on, you find such a room. Just don't make it something really stupid like burning a random floor tile in a random room with the candle using magic and only having the Blue Candle. If you have something awful like that, at least have the courtesy to have a hint room. Interesting and clever gimmicks are nice. Guide dang it ones that pretty much REQUIRE someone to be like "I'm stuck in level 4. What the hell am I supposed to do!?" should be avoided at all costs unless you like people to be angry at you and give you a nasty ranking come review time.

• nicklegends likes this

#9 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

You can make dungeons even with overworld tiles or caves. There aren't restrictions. Use your imagination and do something that you will like to play, that's the secret.

Ok! Thank you, Air Luigi! I'll try doing that! :)

For me, if you're just going with a run of the mill NES dungeon, it can be tough to make it interesting. One thing that I personally do is to give each level a "personality". Have some kind of gimmick for each dungeon. Perhaps one dungeon could have fans that blow you back or pull you in towards them to screw up your footing. Maybe another has you have to solve a block puzzle by using the dungeon item to make it solvable. That to me is a good way to help with dungeons that are just 12x7 square rooms.

A good gimmick that works nicely goes a long way. For instance, you might have one where you get a hint that says "Whistle in the middle of the empty room" and a bit later on, you find such a room. Just don't make it something really stupid like burning a random floor tile in a random room with the candle using magic and only having the Blue Candle. If you have something awful like that, at least have the courtesy to have a hint room. Interesting and clever gimmicks are nice. Guide dang it ones that pretty much REQUIRE someone to be like "I'm stuck in level 4. What the hell am I supposed to do!?" should be avoided at all costs unless you like people to be angry at you and give you a nasty ranking come review time.

The problem is with making each dungeon unique is that I really don't know how to make certain gimmicks. I have ideas, it's just that I really am not experienced enough with the program to make block puzzles, and I can't seem to find any good tutorials on the matter either. Also, I don't think the candle is going to be in this quest, I'm not sure yet, but I'm pretty positive. I've never been a fan of dark rooms/ using candle on random trees.

You can make dungeons interesting by making later dungeons freeform (non-squared) and have them have central gimmick puzzles.

What do you mean by this Shane?

#10 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Well, I will be honest. A lot of things can be done without having to get scripts made for you. I would use some tutorials and watch a few quests for ideas then ask on here how to do things. I will admit if it wasn't for BikdipOnABus and TeamUDF's tutorials, I would never have learned some of the things that I have. I do also have to thank EddyTheOliveira for teaching me through his tutorial how to make Summoners work. I will say one thing, experiment with a different blank quest with ideas. Naturally, you're going to screw up and have your ideas blow up in your face, but you'll never get good at using ZQuest without making those mistakes. Besides, even now, I still have a habit of forgetting under combos or making an area bland.

Quest making is a learning experience. You should use a blank quest to screw around with things and if all else fails, ask us for help. I actually did come up with some of my ideas watching others LP quests or at least ways to adapt them without blatantly ripping them off.

#11 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:51 PM

I haven't got the best example, but this is what I mean by freeform.

Central gimmicks puzzles are seen in a lot of the Zelda games. Such as the red/blue blocks, saving NPCs and hunting down Poes.

Edited by Charizard, 03 May 2014 - 10:53 PM.

#12 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

I haven't got the best example, but this is what I mean by freeform.

Central gimmicks puzzles are seen in a lot of the Zelda games. Such as the red/blue blocks, saving NPCs and hunting down Poes.

Freeform.. so that means the dungeon rooms aren't always seperated by walls? I'm still not sure what you mean.

#13 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:54 AM

That and also that the rooms are not completely square. Like this:

zelda035.png

• Jared likes this

#14 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:56 AM

That and also that the rooms are completely square. Like this:

zelda035.png

That room isn't square?

#15 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

What do you mean it's not square? Freeform basically means that you don't use the dungeon template (which is COMPLETELY square) to make your rooms and then use the door thing to make the doors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users