Photo

Change Place-Names?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: I'm having integrety issues with the place names

Keep em or Change em?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

4 extra dungeons and a secret item/ending?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Spells? Items? Both?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

As some of you may or may not know, I've been making a remake of Zelda II in the style of all the others.

Zelda Two was made differently than the others, thus I feel its appropriate to change some of the names of landmarks and palaces.

For instance, I fudge some of the place names to begin with(I made up some)

Dungeon Name change

Great Palace - Palace of Farfore?

I like to add my personal touch to my work. 4 challenging optional dungeons, and a secret final boss?

Spells & Items

I want to keep the other zelda feel as well as stick true to the Zelda 2 feel as well. Should I remove the Spells? Should I not implement items? Should I keep both in?

I'm going to keep the Fire magic and Thunder Magic actual sword upgrades. And I'm removing the Fairy Spell because its a bad cheat icon_razz.gif

In addition I'd add more spells and lengthen the spellbook even further, if at all possible.

Either way. I just want some oppinions.

#2 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:25 PM

Keep. Yes. Spells. I think if its a remake, place names should remain the same. I also think that optional dungeons are awesome, as long as they don't halt the completion of the quest at all. And some spells would be per sweet.

#3 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

The secret final boss and the 4 other dungeons aren't mandatory, but it would unlock more of whats left in, and include some easter-eggs.

Infact I want to put in a lot more easter eggs than that.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:30 PM

I'll give you my plot for when I wanted to do this.

Shield -> Magical Shield
Jump -> Ladder/Roc's Feather
Life -> Potions icon_razz.gif
Fairy -> Hookshot
Fire -> Wand + Book
Reflect -> Mirror Shield
Spell -> N/A
Thunder -> =/ I guess Din's Fire

Well, among the items, I'd do the Boots as the flippers, I suppose.

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:34 PM

Hmmm... I would DEFINITELY keep the spells, because they were major in AoL... or, at least convert them to comparable items, like Moonwhisper suggested. Instead of the fairy spell, though, you could put in the Magic Key to serve the same purpose.

#6 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jun 11 2007, 09:34 PM) View Post

Hmmm... I would DEFINITELY keep the spells, because they were major in AoL... or, at least convert them to comparable items, like Moonwhisper suggested. Instead of the fairy spell, though, you could put in the Magic Key to serve the same purpose.

The Magic Key was the key item (gah, bad pun) of the sixth palace. So if MoP uses it in the quest, it might as well be located there.

I still say the Magic Key is a broken item, though. With level-specific keys and/or careful level design, a quest will work better without it. I think I managed to handle the Magic Key pretty well in Master Quest, but it was a pain, because it was very limiting....

As for spells, just try to replace some of them with a rough equivalent item. There are a number of items and spells that can use up magic, so simply include most of them and call it good. For instance, instead of Jump, give the Roc's Feather. Instead of Shield, give... well... a shield. The wand oughta make a good replacement for Fire, and the Blue Ring could substitute for Life. Don't worry if it's a little different. Focus on good quest design. You should think of the AoL world as your playground with which to make a quest; the original game shouldn't define your quest because ZC is effectively a different medium.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is to imitate it in essence...not in fine detail. Otherwise, eventually you're either going to end up burnt out, or with a lackluster quest.

....Oh, and as for place names.... Don't change them, but add as many new locations as you want, I say. icon_thumbsup.gif Increasing the number of palaces is to your advantage, too. Here's a suggestion: since AoL was an action RPG and ZC is action/adventure, take out one or two of the towns and replace them with dungeons, if you start to run out of uses for towns.

#7 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Jun 11 2007, 11:30 PM) View Post

I'll give you my plot for when I wanted to do this.

Shield -> Magical Shield
Jump -> Ladder/Roc's Feather
Life -> Potions icon_razz.gif
Fairy -> Hookshot
Fire -> Wand + Book
Reflect -> Mirror Shield
Spell -> N/A
Thunder -> =/ I guess Din's Fire

Well, among the items, I'd do the Boots as the flippers, I suppose.

If I remember correctly, the Boots were ment for fire path.
and giving the flippers would be a devistating cheat unless you block off all the shores.

Shield -> Script item to give you a ring for a period of time.
Jump -> L button to Jump. This script would give you an invisible status item to make you jump higher.
Life -> Script tem Spell to increase your life/ also heart ring
Fairy -> Like I said I'm removing this spell and replacing it with something else.
Fire -> This is a sword beam spell. Costs no magic to use
Reflect -> Spell to give Mirror shield for a short time
Spell -> What does Spell do?
Thunder -> Same as fire... right?

Also a global script to remove all temporary status items at the start of the game.

Levitation will replace Fairy. Basicly an item that gives you the hover boots for a while.
and then there will be 3 new spells that I'll think of. I won't reveal those. You got to find them icon_razz.gif

Although I haven't thought of those spells yet either, if anyone has any ideas you can pm me with a list of them.

Also there will be many side-view areas within the dungeons.

The Magic Book enhances certain spells.

I should've probably never asked this question. In order to remove road blocks you need the hammer. In order to see in caves you need the candle. icon_shrug.gif so I'm going to leave in some items that are relevent only to optional secrets and the hidden dungeons.

By the way. I really really really want to name the North Palace Hyrule Castle because it makes sense that way, and I want to name the Great Palace the Palace of Farfore(as the Triforce of Courage sleeps in there anyway) Back then they didn't have the names of the goddesses and I do believe if they did, they would have called it the Palace of Farfore.

Edited by Master_of_Power, 12 June 2007 - 09:04 AM.

#8 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:57 AM

The boots gave you the ability to hover. I don't know about the fire path....

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE(Master_of_Power @ Jun 12 2007, 09:02 AM) View Post

Spell -> What does Spell do?
Thunder -> Same as fire... right?

Spell transformed all enemies into a weakling monster, kind of like Quake in ALttP. Thunder was an uber-powerful magic, and you HAD to have it to defeat Thunderbird.

By the way, it's Farore, not Farfore. Sorry I have to be a stickler, but Zelda deserves correct spelling.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 02:27 PM

Palace of Farore isn't really an appropriate name because the palace doesn't hold any resemblance to Farore's nature, nor does it hold any effigies of her. I get the impression it was created by someone else to hold the Triforce of Courage until Link returned.

If you're planning to script in all of the spells, this seriously is never going to get done. I also don't think it'd actually be of benefit to the quest. Sorry, but hearing that really lowers my hopes for this quest. It sounds like you're not willing to break out of the mold at all...

#11 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 12 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 12 2007, 05:26 AM) View Post

Here's a suggestion: since AoL was an action RPG and ZC is action/adventure, take out one or two of the towns and replace them with dungeons, if you start to run out of uses for towns.

Good idea. I recall a town in AoL where most of the NPCs turned into monsters. That could easily become a dungeon-like area.

#12 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Jun 12 2007, 03:03 PM) View Post

Good idea. I recall a town in AoL where most of the NPCs turned into monsters. That could easily become a dungeon-like area.

Was that Old Kasuto? I think it was...

Anyway, like Radien said, I don't think you need to create an AoL clone. If I wanted to play AoL, why wouldn't I just get the real AoL? I think that you need to be very original, while still preserving the Zelda 2 storyline and feel.

#13 Alestance

Alestance

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

Meh I'm breaking away from the mold, Its not gonna be a clone, its gonna be remade in the style of the other games icon_biggrin.gif

#14 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(Ebola Zaire @ Jun 12 2007, 04:33 PM) View Post

Was that Old Kasuto? I think it was...

Anyway, like Radien said, I don't think you need to create an AoL clone. If I wanted to play AoL, why wouldn't I just get the real AoL? I think that you need to be very original, while still preserving the Zelda 2 storyline and feel.

No, it was Saria and Nabooru that had the NPCs that turned into enemies. Old Kasuto could still be easily be a dungeon, though.

By the way, with Radien's comment... the only way it could be an AoL clone is with heavy scripting icon_sweat.gif I mean, look at my OoS remix. Linkus said he'd rather play it rather than some emulation of OoS.

Edited by Moonwhisper, 12 June 2007 - 11:53 PM.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

I don't remember there being any monster-people in Mido. Maybe in Darunia, and definitely in Saria. Old Kasuto had only one person in it, and was otherwise abandoned... it was awash with invisible ghosts that would attack you.

You could dump Old Kasuto in favor of a dungeon, but since it's an empty town to begin with, it's not much of a change. I meant dump a town whose original purpose was to provide NPCs.

MoP, you want to change the original AoL, but not enough in my opinion. For instance, you seem disdainful of any items that don't work as closely to AoL's as possible. However, I remember playing AoL when it first came out, and I was downright unhappy that Zelda 2 did not rely on items the way its predecessor did. I think the entire point of an AoL remake should be to make it more item-based. That's what LTTP did; it's why we saw the creation of the Mirror Shield, the Megaton Hammer, and the Magic Powder, among other things.

(this post moved from the other AoL topic)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users