Photo

Most overrated/underrated Zelda Game

Overrated Underrated

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Zelda Game

Most Overrated?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Underrated?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:30 AM

Just as the title suggests, I'll leave it to you guys to post your opinions.

Remember, just because it's OVERRATED, doesn't mean it's BAD. I love a lttp and even I admit the game is a little bit overrated.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#2 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:32 AM

> Ocarina of Time

> Overrated

Normally, I'm not casual like this, but....

lmfao what

• Shane and Eddy like this

#3 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:34 AM

Overrated: Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time's fame was pretty much stolen by Majora's Mask all the way back in 2011. It's pretty much the subject of hate now, but not to the point of it being not loved or underrated. There's still a lot of fans but Majora's Mask stole the spotlight in regards to the "best Zelda game ever".

Underrated: Spirit Tracks. Thanks to Phantom Hourglass, I feel like most didn't give this title a chance. I personally think it's the superior one of the two. Twilight Princess has the most sales, so it's not underrated by any means.
  • Haylee and Jared like this

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:39 AM

This topic might've been better as a normal topic instead of a poll. But since other options exist...

For overrated, since poll is multiple choice, I picked Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Both are treated as gods, the latter due to a recent wave from rabid fanboys crawling out of the woodwork, when, while they're pretty great, don't deserve to overshadow the rest of the series. They're all any fan will seem to want to talk about, but several games I feel were better-crafted all-around and deserve to be seen and mentioned just as much, if not more than, these two.

For underrated, Link's Awakening, I can't mention it enough. There's so much wonder and adventure and atmosphere and pure experience oozing from this game, it has a great world, charming graphics, pleasing music, and the deepest story in the series, in my opinion. Unfortunately, no one ever seems to talk about it. :(

Hmm... I changed my mind, Four Swords is the most overrated because there are people who exist that say it's any good at all. *runs*

• Eddy, Haylee, Tabletpillow and 2 others like this

#5 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:41 AM

For underrated, Link's Awakening, I can't mention it enough. There's so much wonder and adventure and atmosphere and pure experience oozing from this game, it has a great world, charming graphics, pleasing music, and the deepest story in the series, in my opinion. Unfortunately, no one ever seems to talk about it. :(

omfg yes, another person who acknowledges Link's Awakening! You get a cookie.

I'll give my full opinion on what's overrated and underrated later, I'm just too sleepy to give an actual opinion atm.

#6 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:17 AM

Overrated: Ocarina of Time.

When people think of Zelda, it is generally Ocarina of Time that first comes to mind. This makes sense, as OoT forever changed the face of the series and is among the most critically acclaimed games of all time. The downside to this is that OoT overshadows every other entry in the series, which I don't think it deserves to do. While it is a great game, and is one of the better entries, it is far from the best entry in the series and definitely far from the best game of all time.

Underrated: Skyward Sword.

Very underrated by the fanbase, this game really does not deserve the hate it gets. While it had a couple of glaring flaws, those were about it. The game felt fresh and unique throughout with all of the new items and gimmicks it brought to the table, its atmosphere being incredible and went full out in quality over quantity in general.

• Jared and Logos like this

#7 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

i'll become what you became to me

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:17 AM

I've gotta agree with Link's Awakening being underrated. That game made me feel feelings that most games have never given me before. I started feeling connected to the characters, partially due to the down-to-earth/slight goofy dialog and entrancing music. Also, the Eagle's Tower made me severely angry, which was definitely its intention.

I haven't really played most of the critically acclaimed games so I can't say what's overrated. If I can make a confession, I never actually finished ALttP. I really wanted to, but I was bad at Zelda back in 7th grade or whatever it was.

Edited by Hergiswi, 12 September 2015 - 02:19 AM.

#8 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:16 AM

Majora's Mask is the most overrated entry in the Zelda series in my opinion. Ocarina of Time's mega praise ended in 2013, when everyone decided to move on to Majora's Mask. Nowadays, Ocarina of Time is just a mildly praised game. Majora's Mask has all the things that OoT got super mega praised for. Hell, there was a point where I could've considered OoT underrated even.

Meanwhile, Link's Awakening shall always be the most underrated and my favorite entry.

#9 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:02 AM

Oracle of Ages/Seasons for me in terms of being underrated, but Link's Awakening definitely is up there.

I chose Ocarina of Time as overrated, only because people always say it's the best Zelda game ever made, and even if I'm inclined to agree with them, it doesn't mean that it isn't overrated because of that.

#10 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:24 AM

Might as well go for it:

1. Majora's Mask is definitely up there with the overrated Zeldas, which is my pick. Though I don't really see that as a bad thing since I still like MM quite a lot and I play it here and there at times. I just feel like it gets a bit too much praise and there are some things I don't really understand. But hey, it's still a pretty fun game, it's just far from the best IMO. The good part though: the 3DS version fixed up loads of things which I'm thankful for.

2. Four Swords Adventures for the most underrated. It seems this game just doesn't really get as much recognition as I thought. This game is a gigantic step up from Four Swords and does multiplayer very well. I had so much fun when playing this game and everything about it has a really cool concept. I kinda really want to play this game again lol.

• Logos likes this

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

OoT is overrated, WW is not. Other Zeldas brought something to the series. Hell, Wind Waker brought a tragic backstory to ganon, another hookshot like item, a flying item, a huge overworld, sailing, and has some of the best dungeon design in the series. Oh, and a water dungeon that is not bad (MM's water temple only became enjoyable after they changed Zora Link's mechanics in the remake). Ocarina brought... 3D? And not the good 3D either, like Metroid Prime (deserves it's praise), but the old 64 3D. The dungeon design also isn't that good, and it's just not that great of a game IMO.

Underrated is TP. Everybody usually has something negative to say about this game, but it's just slightly below WW in my top zelda games list.

#12 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:33 AM

Oracle games are underrated.  Took everything LA did and improved on it, and they have the most unique mechanics and puzzles of all the Zelda games combined.  Minish Cap is rather underrated as well.  I'll be the first to admit the game is stupidly linear and incredibly short, but there's a lot of stuff shoved into this game through the Kinstones that leave every corner of the world inherently interesting to check out, to see what secrets you can uncover.

Overrated would be Ocarina of Time obviously.  It's pretty sad when games like this have to rely on the crutch of "It was good for its time."  True master pieces are timeless, but OoT has not aged well in the slightest, hence why it was remade.  But even the remake doesn't fix a lot of its problems.  Majora's Mask came along and improved on OoT by a ton:  making the characters actually worth caring about, making the world more interesting to explore, and improving upon the base engine itself.  

#13 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:29 AM

Overrated: Twilight Princess (the game was too easy)

Underrated: Spirit Tracks

#14 FalsePower

FalsePower

Hero of the space-time continuum

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

Ever since I was a kid when OoT came out I felt it was overrated (back then we called it Zelda 64 because MM wasn't out yet).

I like it, but I feel like it completely took away everyone's interest in A Link to the Past. LttP to this day looks very nicely polished and in my opinion plays as a true Zelda game should. Egoraptor nailed my exact feelings on 2D vs 3D in his sequelitis video.

As for underrated, I'd definitely have to say Link's Adventure on NES. Even my die-hard Zelda fan of a brother won't touch it because of the sideview thing. I feel like it really doesn't get the praise as a very solid game that it deserves.

#15 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

I'd say Link's Awakening is pretty overrated. The "it was all a dream" plot was pretty stupid, and being forced tog rind for the bow was annoying. (I was playing the original, which doesn't have enough rupees to get before the bow) I will say, however, that Link's Awakening had the best glitches. (Fisherman's World is just too amazing)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users