Photo

Pokemon: Worst Champion?

Pokemon

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Worst Champion

Who is the Worst Pokemon Champion?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

(Note: Keep please spoilers about the game's story in spoiler tabs.)

(Another Note: This poll doesn't include superbosses.)

Every Pokemon game has a final battle at the end of the Elite 4. They're epic, difficult, and overall a blast, used to go over everything you've learn on your Pokemon journey to become a Pokemon master. However, there's a few champions that are...less than good.

It's time we discussed the worst champion in the series, whether it's because of their team, or their story arc, this is still heavily based on opinion.

My choice for the worst Champion has got to be Wallace from Pokemon Emerald.

I mean, seriously, whose idea was it to make the Champion Wallace of all people? First off, he was a mediocre 8th Gym leader in Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Secondly, he specializes in Water Types. Let's talk about why this is a problem. If you've played Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald, you know what I'm talking about. Literally, 90% of the places you go in Emerald, Sapphire, and Ruby, require surf, and you know what you fight when using Surf? Water Types, and you know what you're going to do because you keep fighitng Water Types? Simple, Catch a thunder type or a Grass Type, so you can defeat Water Types with ease. In other words, by the time you get to Wallace, you're already prepared to beat him, because you should already have a counter for Water Types.

To be fair, if you choose to get a Thunder type, you'll struggle to defeat his Whishcash, because it's immune to Thunder, but other than that, it's ridiculous how easy this fight it. When your champion battle is easier than X and Y's Champion, you have a problem.

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

Best (and most challenging) Champion: Cynthia

Worst Champion: Wallace

Edited by Dawnlight, 28 July 2014 - 09:16 AM.

• David likes this

#3 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Best: Blue
Worst: Blue
  • Shane likes this

#4 David

David

Fallen leaves... adorn my night.

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Best (and most challenging) Champion: Cynthia

Worst Champion: Wallace

This is exactly what I think. Cynthia was an amazing champion, and Wallace was a joke. :)

• Haylee likes this

#5 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

They're difficult, 

That's debatable, lol.  I've never had trouble with any Champion from the games I've played.  All Pokemon is, is Janken (Rock-Paper-Scissors), so...as long as you have the counters, you basically one-shot almost everything.  I actually have to limit myself to never using items in trainer battles to feel somewhat challenged.

Best Champion:  Red (he IS a Kanto Champion, after all).

Worst Champions:  Wallace and Lance, since they both have one strict type of Pokemon (save for Lance's Gyarados) that are wiped out with the same weakness.

Edited by Koh, 28 July 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#6 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

It's useless comments like these which is why I can't take you seriously.

Anyways, on topic. I haven't really played many Pokemon games, so that's a difficult one to answer right now. Perhaps I should get back into it. Also, is Blue the video game's version of Gary while Red is Ash?

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Anyways, on topic. I haven't really played many Pokemon games, so that's a difficult one to answer right now. Perhaps I should get back into it. Also, is Blue the video game's version of Gary while Red is Ash?

Yes, but remember these counterparts are totally different people.  Blue (who is actually Green) is NOT Shigeru/Gary, and Red is NOT Satoshi/Ash.  The latters are based on the formers.

Edited by Koh, 28 July 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#8 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Best Champion:  Red (he IS a Kanto Champion, after all).

Worst Champions:  Wallace and Lance, since they both have one strict type of Pokemon (save for Lance's Gyarados) that are wiped out with the same weakness.

The reason I consider Wallace to be worse, is because, unlike Lance, you're pretty much guaranteed to have a Water Type's Weakness, as oppose to a Dragon type's weakness, considering Dragon types didn't start appearing until the end, when you most likely had a full team set up.

Not entirely. They're simply just adaptions of the characters. A lot of people consider Red to be a much better trainer than Ash, canonically, considering how powerful Red's team is as a superboss. Blue and Gary are nearly identical, personality and design wise, with the exception of in the anime, Gary didn't become Champion.

#9 Shane

Shane

🩶

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

this

Also Red > Ash. Screw Ash and he's "I'm not going to catch 'em all but instead make the anime about me, me, me!" episodes. :P

#10 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

I believe Ash was such a poor trainer because of:

A: The writers wanted him to be an underdog.
B: To make Red & Blue feel much naturally better, which makes the player feel better than Ash.

Part of me thinks it's a little of both.

#11 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Actually, the real reason Satoshi's reset button is constantly pressed is because they wanted kids fresh to the series to be able to relate to him.  This is why he never ages, and always does stupid things like throwing a Pokeball before weakening the target.

I say that excuse is bullshit though.  There are plenty of other series where characters age and mature, and are accessible to all ages.

• Binx likes this

#12 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

Pretty much any champion who does not have a primary weakness to one type I consider the best.

Lance: Ice or Rock Types

Wallace: Electric or Grass Types

Iris: Ice types (non-Challenge mode)

Blue, Cynthia, Steven, Alder, and Diantha have various types which makes each battle (well maybe not Diantha's) a lot more epic to me.

Also, when it comes to champion theme music, IMO...

#1 - Blue

#2 - Lance (GSC)

#3 - Cynthia

#4 - Iris

#5 - Alder

Edited by Dawnlight, 28 July 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#13 anikom15

anikom15

Dictator

• Banned

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

How is anyone else's opinion more useful than mine?

Blue is the worst because the AI is so terrible and he uses Pidgeot, and you basically know what pokémon he has.

Blue is the best because he uses a variety of types and he's Blue! The whole game he's ahead of you, making fun of you, and the one time you think you have the upper hand he snubs you out and now you have to show him who's boss.

Edited by anikom15, 28 July 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

To be fair, Red and Blue's AI was stupid to begin with. Yellow's AI was a lot smarter.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

Lance is easily the worst champion in the series. In HG, I came in with a team levels 30-35 and completely annihilated him, first try. Ice Beam can bring his entire team to its knees. Wallace might be easy, but at least he requires using more than one move.

Since we're discussing champions, might as well talk about the best too. Cynthia is, I would say, the best champion in the series. She's got good type coverage, really strong offensive moves, perfect IVs on every Pokemon, and just generally specializes in wrecking you. Not to mention, she's the first champion to punish you for walking into other people's houses without knocking, which is pretty great.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pokemon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users