• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

The story and concept behind Crimson Echoes is really well thought out, I love the political side to it and the whole time egg ideas, but really, I think it was executed rather poorly. The dialogue is terrible (just looking at what they did to Glenn, no one who speaks in Middle English should be saying the word 'crap' or talking like they come from our time in general) and a lot of the difficulty seems rather unbalanced. Not to mention, what drugs were they on when they came up with most of the equipment? Knave Helm, Xcotoakhn;gkawe Armor? I have no idea what they were thinking.

Either way, I think either one is fine- the bonus content on the DS version sucks, but other than that they're basically the same. With the DS, you at least have portability and a better interface.

#17 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Apr 3 2012, 12:47 AM) View Post

The story and concept behind Crimson Echoes is really well thought out, I love the political side to it and the whole time egg ideas, but really, I think it was executed rather poorly. The dialogue is terrible (just looking at what they did to Glenn, no one who speaks in Middle English should be saying the word 'crap' or talking like they come from our time in general) and a lot of the difficulty seems rather unbalanced. Not to mention, what drugs were they on when they came up with most of the equipment? Knave Helm, Xcotoakhn;gkawe Armor? I have no idea what they were thinking.

Glenn's dialog is just terrible, but I like to imagine fixing that was part of the 2%...As for the item names, I'd rather have scrambled letters than steal from the same sources Square steals their names from time and again. Tell me, how many times have they had a sword called Masamune? icon_razz.gif

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 3 2012, 01:57 AM) View Post

Glenn's dialog is just terrible, but I like to imagine fixing that was part of the 2%...As for the item names, I'd rather have scrambled letters than steal from the same sources Square steals their names from time and again. Tell me, how many times have they had a sword called Masamune? icon_razz.gif

Masamune is actually a mythological weapon, and Square is definitely not the only bunch that uses this name. IPB Image.

#19 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE(Koh @ Apr 3 2012, 09:33 AM) View Post

Masamune is actually a mythological weapon, and Square is definitely not the only bunch that uses this name. IPB Image.

That's what I said...Square keeps recycling the same mythical elements over and over again.

#20 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Apr 3 2012, 12:47 AM) View Post

Either way, I think either one is fine- the bonus content on the DS version sucks, but other than that they're basically the same. With the DS, you at least have portability and a better interface.

Yes the Bonus content did suck. I well I didn't really like at all, It was quite lame.
And The Ds interface IMHO. Is really bad. I hated it. every thing was just so small and hard to read. and to add insult to injury. the touch screen controls sucked like crazy.

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Apr 3 2012, 10:38 AM) View Post

That's what I said...Square keeps recycling the same mythical elements over and over again.

Well So does Nintendo and the Master Sword icon_razz.gif

#21 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Apr 3 2012, 09:43 AM) View Post

Well So does Nintendo and the Master Sword icon_razz.gif

The difference is Square does it between series. It's OK to have recurring elements in a series, but you won't be seeing the Master Sword showing up in Mario.

#22 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Having an entirely separate screen for your character's stats in battle and using the touch screen to select your attack or tech? Beautiful to me. Better than in the SNES version when 1/4 of the screen is covered by it.

Masamune was also known as Japan's greatest swordsmith, for the record.

#23 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Well, I decided to give the SNES version a go!

I'm even willing to put up with the Woolsey factor, though OCD old me had to apply a typo fix patch first.

#24 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Apr 3 2012, 02:47 PM) View Post

Having an entirely separate screen for your character's stats in battle and using the touch screen to select your attack or tech? Beautiful to me. Better than in the SNES version when 1/4 of the screen is covered by it.

Masamune was also known as Japan's greatest swordsmith, for the record.

It sounds like a neat Concept. but when I seen it it was awesome at first but when I got further in the game it was quite annoying.
it was quite hard when you get to points in the game where battles get pretty tough. Constantly having to go to the bottom screen to make a choice. I may sound lazy but after awhile of dealing with I switched it too the classic mode. I just couldn't stand the Ds's Touch screen controls.

#25 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

About the complaints in Crimson Echoes about Glenn's speaking, the Middle-Ages dialect he used originally was actually introduced in the translation. Supposedly, in the original Japanese script, he spoke more casually like in the hack.

Before there are any arguments, I'm going to simply say this. No, I cannot 100% confirm this, I just recall reading it from somewhere. I just thought it would be something to consider.

#26 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

So to summarize:

SNES:
- Great Music

DS:
- A selection of multiple interface systems (Classic, or split screen)
- Good quality animated video cut scenes taken from Playstation version of game
- Poor quality bonus content
- English translation (No need for fan translation)

If you're in to emulation and piracy, both versions are free and can be emulated fine negating the problem of a small screen/tiny text since you can upscale the games displays and with the DS you can have the screens side by side if you prefer.

Edited by franpa, 03 April 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#27 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE(franpa @ Apr 3 2012, 07:04 PM) View Post

So to summarize:

SNES:
- Great Music

DS:
- A selection of multiple interface systems (Classic, or split screen)
- Good quality animated video cut scenes taken from Playstation version of game
- Poor quality bonus content
- English translation (No need for fan translation)
If you're in to emulation and piracy, both versions are free and can be emulated fine negating the problem of a small screen/tiny text since you can upscale the games displays and with the DS you can have the screens side by side if you prefer.

Well said icon_thumbsup.gif . Pretty much that sums it up perfectly.

And May I ask whats the deal with the all the talk of translation?

#28 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:42 PM

Why is this not a poll? icon_worried.gif

... I jest.

QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Apr 3 2012, 03:47 PM) View Post

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I won't deny that there are pros and cons to each, but that goes for everything. Besides, the DS is portable. I feel as though that pretty much trumps everything.

#29 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE(Ventus @ Apr 3 2012, 07:37 PM) View Post

Well said icon_thumbsup.gif . Pretty much that sums it up perfectly.

And May I ask whats the deal with the all the talk of translation?

Essentially, it comes back to how downright puritan Nintendo was before the advent of the regional ratings organizations (ESRB, PEGI et al). Although not a factor in Japan, most other regional releases were subject to pointless censorship over things as trivial as religious references or allusions to controversial issues such as suicide. You see, Nintendo was petrified that jackasses like Joe Lieberman were going to seriously cripple the industry they had essentially rebuilt single-handedly after Atari and co. bit the dust in the crash of '83.

North America was the second half of just about every VG company's bread and butter back then (Japan was first). So, needless to say, when Congress threatens to dick you over by smearing you as the new rock-and-roll, you have to do something . Nintendo's solution was a policy of repressive and harsh self-regulation for overseas releases. Presumably in Japan they just used lobbying interests to nullify regulation (and used game sales in the process -_-).

So, what does this have to do with Chrono Trigger? Quite a lot, actually. You see, Nintendo often, for whatever reason, used fly-by-knight translation practices that resulted in bad translations from generally competent translators due to overwork and incompetent scheduling. Several notable examples include Final Fantasy VI, A Link to the Past, and (you guessed it) Chrono Trigger. Oft times the arduous job of stripping out/modifying content to please Nintendo's rather extensive list of censorship do's and dont's left inadequate time to double check for errors or get feedback on changes they made that were not strictly called for. One example of this is the character in Chrono Trigger that is known to non-Japanese audiences to possess the completely odd quirk of speaking "Ye Olde English". Guess what? Not in the original Japanese script at all. In fact, that particular character from what I've heard has a slightly coarse pitch to his mode of speech, a far cry from the way he's presented by Ted Woolsey, the (in?)famous translator of both Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger. Another even bigger victim of this era? The story of A Link to the Past, which actually got some of the worst butchering thanks to these policies (extensively documented on the interwebs; look it up srsly and for great justice :B ).

THE MOAR YOU KNOW!

#30 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Oh okay I get it now thanks. I've never really had a problem with frog's "Ye Olde English" dialog. but I guess I should check out the Original translation to see what the difference is.
And I'll check out the Original translation's of LTTP, and Final fantasy VI. I really want to see how the original translations of those games was.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users