Chrono Trigger: DS or SNES?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

As someone who has yet to finish this game, I'm wondering if it would be best for me to pick up an SNES rom (since I don't have an SNES) and play that, or somehow purchase (I say this, because I haven't seen it in any local game store...may have to be an online purchase) a DS copy of the game. What does the DS version offer over the SNES version?

#2 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

I've played both games to the first ending. If you're only into canon stuff and the price isn't an issue, I would advise playing the DS version. The translation got tweaked, so Frog isn't as much of an annoyance (others my disagree, but I didn't like how he used "Ye Olde English"). Having the second screen makes everything look cleaner, in my opinion. There's also the bonus content, although it sucks. You'll end up either exploring re-used rooms for the most part, or backtracking 100 times (no joke) up and down the same godforsaken mountain area. However, you do get an extra ending that's supposed to tie things better into Chrono Cross, if you're interested in playing that one as well.

The SNES version has two advantages of its own. First off, if you decide to download it as a ROM, it's completely free. (of course, if you're using a DS flash card, then that advantage is moot) Second, when you've finished, you can use the ROM to play the Crimson Echoes hack, a very high-quality fan-made sequel that ties the game into Chrono Cross, supposedly very well.

Basically, don't take the bonus content into account if you're trying to decide on the DS version. It's truly horrible, and the only major advantage it has over the original is portability. Even so, I preferred the DS version slightly because the second screen helped the aesthetics somewhat.

#3 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

I agree with kurt91 with regards to the bonus content in the DS version, other then that the second screen really helps keep the games interface clean and tidy.

I've only played the DS version to completion and had a quick look at the SNES version and found its interface fugly.

The only major differences between the 2 versions are:

1) Translation. I notice nothing particularly bad about the DS versions translation and I haven't really played the SNES version so I can't make a comparison.
2) Audio quality, the SNES is capable of much better quality music then the DS though the DS version does a respectable job in my opinion.
3) DS version contains some pretty cool cut scenes/videos from the Playstation version, SNES version uses significantly simpler cut scenes/animations for story elements.
4) DS version allows you to place menus/HUD on separate screen making the game nice and clean looking, in the SNES version has everything on the one screen and it looks very cramped.
5) More endings to unlock in the DS version.
6) Terrible bonus content is available in the DS version. Terrible for exactly the reasons Kurt mentioned. Ascending/Descending a particular area numerous times and killing the same enemy encounters multiple times is not fun at all.

I would go with the DS version just because of the interface, though I emulated it and was able to use the Mouse to navigate the menus and place the top and bottom DS screen side-by-side icon_razz.gif

Edited by franpa, 01 April 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(kurt91 @ Apr 1 2012, 12:56 AM) View Post

I've played both games to the first ending. If you're only into canon stuff and the price isn't an issue, I would advise playing the DS version. The translation got tweaked, so Frog isn't as much of an annoyance (others my disagree, but I didn't like how he used "Ye Olde English"). Having the second screen makes everything look cleaner, in my opinion. There's also the bonus content, although it sucks. You'll end up either exploring re-used rooms for the most part, or backtracking 100 times (no joke) up and down the same godforsaken mountain area. However, you do get an extra ending that's supposed to tie things better into Chrono Cross, if you're interested in playing that one as well.

The SNES version has two advantages of its own. First off, if you decide to download it as a ROM, it's completely free. (of course, if you're using a DS flash card, then that advantage is moot) Second, when you've finished, you can use the ROM to play the Crimson Echoes hack, a very high-quality fan-made sequel that ties the game into Chrono Cross, supposedly very well.

Basically, don't take the bonus content into account if you're trying to decide on the DS version. It's truly horrible, and the only major advantage it has over the original is portability. Even so, I preferred the DS version slightly because the second screen helped the aesthetics somewhat.

QUOTE(franpa @ Apr 1 2012, 03:00 AM) View Post

I agree with kurt91 with regards to the bonus content in the DS version, other then that the second screen really helps keep the games interface clean and tidy.

I've only played the DS version to completion and had a quick look at the SNES version and found its interface fugly.

The only major differences between the 2 versions are:
1) Translation. I notice nothing particularly bad about the DS versions translation and I haven't really played the SNES version so I can't make a comparison.
2) Audio quality, the SNES is capable of much better quality music then the DS though the DS version does a respectable job in my opinion.
3) DS version contains some pretty cool cut scenes/videos from the Playstation version, SNES version uses significantly simpler cut scenes/animations for story elements.
4) DS version allows you to place menus/HUD on separate screen making the game nice and clean looking, in the SNES version has everything on the one screen and it looks very cramped.
5) More endings to unlock in the DS version.
6) Terrible bonus content is available in the DS version. Terrible for exactly the reasons Kurt mentioned. Ascending/Descending a particular area numerous times and killing the same enemy encounters multiple times is not fun at all.
I would go with the DS version just because of the interface, though I emulated it and was able to use the Mouse to navigate the menus and place the top and bottom DS screen side-by-side icon_razz.gif

I was also into the interface of the DS from what I've seen. The SNES interface wasn't TOO bad, since there was only one screen to work with, but because the DS has that extra space it helps I guess. So the bonus content I imagine, requires Final Fantasy style grinding, or are you saying that you'll be doing that kind of fighting regardless?

#5 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

The Bonus Content plays differently to the rest of the game in that it involves a ton of back tracking. The regular game content doesn't require much back tracking. It's not grinding that is the problem, the problem is that the areas you have to do stuff in, are placed at opposite ends of an area that involves unavoidable enemy encounters and you have to travel back and forth between the 2 areas through the enemy infested area to complete the many bonus content missions. traveling back and forth through the exact same area multiple times killing the exact same enemy encounters each time because there is no way to avoid them during your trip back and forth between areas is just not fun.

The regular game content is very fun and entertaining though, I'm just saying don't base your decision on the bonus content alone as the bonus content isn't fun to complete.

Edited by franpa, 01 April 2012 - 08:57 PM.

#6 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

I liked Chrono Trigger because you NEVER needed to do any level-grinding at all, and the game still stayed fairly challenging. As long as you keep the time-travel mechanic in mind (for example, opening certain treasure chests in the future, then going back in time to re-open them in the past), you shouldn't have any trouble.

I did forget about the PSX cutscenes, though. Those are really good.
---
PS: Regarding my treasure chest example, if at any time you open a treasure chest and it gives you a choice between leaving it alone or taking the treasure, leave it alone. That's what allows the item inside to upgrade itself over the ages. You have to open it in the past, first. The chests you do this for look special, though.

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Hm... I would recommend Both. They both are about the same except the ds one has a some bonus thats bout it and some anime cutscreens. And the Snes "rom" is just the same without the bonus stuff a and fancy cut screens. But think. The rom is free and the Ds one is like only 14.99 to 19.99, so I would just get them both.

anyways the Snes "Rom" has portability to a lot of emulators. if you have you DS/PSP/Wii/ Hacked Just play it on there with snes emulator.

And one more thing If I've was the one making the choice I would just go with the Rom. and save my money for something else.

Why Pay when you can get it free. The code of the internet icon_razz.gif

#8 Hunter P Brown

Hunter P Brown

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Take the DS version. It's a fantastic port and it's like the PSX version without the annoying load times, plus it has all the bonus features that give you more stuff to do. Cause trust me, when you pick up Chrono Trigger and plan on finishing it, you don't wanna put it down and you wanna keep playing it non stop. On the SNES, there's only a few side quests. With the DS, there's a lot more for side quests.

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Go with the SNES version. The DS version isn't worth giving your money to scumbags like Square Enix. The bonus content is pretty boring, the secret boss is just a s***ty tie in to a s***ty sequel that doesn't live up to the name of the original. If you feel the need for more content, play Crimson Echoes, a hack that actually lives up to the Chrono Trigger name.

#10 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Was going to play this on BSNES, but couldn't get a a decent translation patch to strip out the Woolsey from it.

Also, Googling for Crimson Echoes reveals it was never completed. If anyone can suggest remedies to these problems (DO NOT LINK TO ANYTHING UNLESS IN A PM), I'd gladly give this a go. Sounds intriguing.

#11 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Apr 2 2012, 06:56 PM) View Post

Was going to play this on BSNES, but couldn't get a a decent translation patch to strip out the Woolsey from it.

Also, Googling for Crimson Echoes reveals it was never completed. If anyone can suggest remedies to these problems (DO NOT LINK TO ANYTHING UNLESS IN A PM), I'd gladly give this a go. Sounds intriguing.

Ugh! There used to be a 98% complete leaked version floating around. Looks like Square Penis managed to snuff that out too...

#12 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have a copy of Crimson Echoes, but it's not the patch. I don't have it uploaded anywhere, and I'm not going to upload the ROM. What's the site's opinions on links to patches that you have to patch yourself? I mean, I used to mess with SMW hacking, so I still have Lunar IPS on my computer. I could make it into a patch, but I don't want to get banned for providing a link to a ROM patch.

Edited by kurt91, 02 April 2012 - 08:49 PM.

#13 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

I don't get it. What WASN'T complete in the 98% complete version?

#14 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Eurysilas @ Apr 2 2012, 07:49 PM) View Post

I don't get it. What WASN'T complete in the 98% complete version?

I believe it was just final touches like bugtesting, balancing, and finishing up some incomplete minor sidequests. It was a pretty big 2% if you ask me. icon_razz.gif

Still a great game and the number 1 reason I hate Square.

#15 Eurysilas

Eurysilas

Paladin

• Members

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ah. Well, maybe if I find a good trans patch I'll give it a whirl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users