Is AVG no longer an efficient scanner?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:47 PM

I've been hearing rumors lately that AVG Free hasn't been doing it's job well enough for people, and then there's the fact that I'm sure it's been getting quite a few false alarms lately. It doesn't seem to be acting reliably anymore... could it be that AVG's time is finally dropping out of the light?

I want your opinions. Should we start looking for new virus scanners? And if so, what do you reccomend?

#2 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

I don't have any problems with it. Seems to do just fine on my computer, though it probably wouldn't hurt to run a scan, just to make sure

#3 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:35 AM

I've recently begun to get a false alarm from AVG Free, about Final Fantasy 7 PC being a virus of some sort. O_o; What's up with that? It didn't start until a few days ago though.

#4 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

AVG never worked for me. Simply couldn't find all viruses, was very slow, and sometimes froze. Once it found thousands of infected files, then I used NOD32 to scan and it found the rest with less scanning time and no freezes.

#5 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

Clamwin seems pretty reliable. I've had it at least since Christmas.

#6 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE(Sephiroth @ Jul 23 2007, 07:35 AM) View Post
I've recently begun to get a false alarm from AVG Free, about Final Fantasy 7 PC being a virus of some sort. O_o; What's up with that? It didn't start until a few days ago though.

I've been getting quite a few of those myself, one saying Adobe Photoshop CS3 (which came straight from adobe so I know its not a virus of any sort) is malicious content. icon_sweat.gif
Also, it keeps opening IE for no reason.

#7 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:46 PM

AVG Free seems to have become crap now. It finds barely any virus's and when it does, most of them can't fixed. In addition, I get many false alarms. It had even got to the point where it claimed that ROM hacking programs were Spyware. No doubt are they now focusing on the version that you have to pay for.

#8 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

Okay. If you have suggestions, please give us a URL, and if someone else reccomended it, please second the reccomendation.

#9 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

Sephiroth: You sure it's not you it's picking up? I mean, I would imagine it'd expect you to be in the game, not out of it...icon_razz.gif

*gets shot*

EDIT:

I've been using Avira's "AntiVir Personal Edition Classic" for quite some time now, and it's served me well enough.

Just make sure to update it often. If you go long enough without updating that the license key runs out (which it never will, IF you update regularly), it might get stuck not being able to update again, and then you'd have to download the newest version and reinstall it to get it to work again.
...Though that shouldn't be too much of a problem, as it annoys you if it goes 3 days without an update. icon_razz.gif

Edited by 4matsy, 24 July 2007 - 02:28 PM.

#10 trip i fall

trip i fall

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

I used to use AVG, but yeah, the free version is pretty much crap. So I went with Avast's 60 day trial and it's really nice.

#11 Koopa

Koopa

The child behind the turtle

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

According to the site, Avira free doesn't protect against spyware or adware so I can't really recommend it. I use Avast (free) myself.

#12 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE(Koopa @ Jul 25 2007, 03:34 AM) View Post

According to the site, Avira free doesn't protect against spyware or adware so I can't really recommend it. I use Avast (free) myself.

Heh, I didn't pay much attention to that since I already had Ad-Aware and Spybot to take care of adware and spyware. icon_razz.gif To each his own, I guess...

#13 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

I personally have been wondering this too, since I don't really get any results when I scan for viruses anymore...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users