Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4156 Castelia

Castelia

Fred Durst stan

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:23 AM

So, are these all games that you've played before, or are you binging "new" classic games?

Super Mario RPG is the only "new" classic game that I started playing. The rest of them I just felt like replaying, but on a bigger screen.

In other news, I ended up getting Majora's Mask on my Wii VC, so that's another game to juggle. Not that I'm complaining, since Majora's Mask is really good.

Also, I just want to mention, I really don't like the first-person weapon controls in the N64 versions of OoT and MM. They feel really stiff, and it's hard to do things like shooting galleries that were really easy on the 3DS.

• Moonbread likes this

#4157 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:09 AM

Also, I just want to mention, I really don't like the first-person weapon controls in the N64 versions of OoT and MM. They feel really stiff, and it's hard to do things like shooting galleries that were really easy on the 3DS.

Are you playing with an actual N64 controller with an official Nintendo branded analog stick? If not, you're either going to have a terrible experience or a sub-par experience. Pretty much the N64 controller (or the console, no one has figured out the precise workings of the mechanic yet) does something weird with the sensitivity of the analog stick, resulting in a very wide degree of sensitivity and a excellent sensitivity slope (You have excellent control over your characters movements, aiming etc).

I have yet to see an emulator (including Nintendo's various Virtual Consoles) that can imitate the original analog stick experience when using a different gamepad. The typical result with other controllers (Xbox360 controller, Wii Classic Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller, Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller etc.) is hyper sensitivity where small adjustments to the analog stick result in big adjustments in the game making it difficult to aim things (Banjo Tooie's flight aiming is an excellent demonstration of this, as is aiming the Bow, slingshot, boomerang etc. in the Zelda games), hard to walk & tiptoe in Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie etc. and hard to get your character to face the exact direction you want to face.

I assume you're playing on the virtual console, so you're going to experience hyper sensitivity with the analog stick, resulting in a very sub par experience which isn't at all representative of how the game controls on an actual N64.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 04 February 2017 - 09:18 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#4158 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:24 AM

Augh they took out one of my favorite things in OoT 3DS- the text speed of "s u c h   a    b a d  k i d... i have to tell you some juicy gossip!"

#4159 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Are you playing with an actual N64 controller with an official Nintendo branded analog stick? If not, you're either going to have a terrible experience or a sub-par experience. Pretty much the N64 controller (or the console, no one has figured out the precise workings of the mechanic yet) does something weird with the sensitivity of the analog stick, resulting in a very wide degree of sensitivity and a excellent sensitivity slope (You have excellent control over your characters movements, aiming etc).

I have yet to see an emulator (including Nintendo's various Virtual Consoles) that can imitate the original analog stick experience when using a different gamepad. The typical result with other controllers (Xbox360 controller, Wii Classic Pro Controller, Wii Classic Controller, Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller etc.) is hyper sensitivity where small adjustments to the analog stick result in big adjustments in the game making it difficult to aim things (Banjo Tooie's flight aiming is an excellent demonstration of this, as is aiming the Bow, slingshot, boomerang etc. in the Zelda games), hard to walk & tiptoe in Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie etc. and hard to get your character to face the exact direction you want to face.

I assume you're playing on the virtual console, so you're going to experience hyper sensitivity with the analog stick, resulting in a very sub par experience which isn't at all representative of how the game controls on an actual N64.

Yeah, I definitely notice that in vc games. It's kind of a huge shame, really, cause the shooting gallery in MM is especially difficult with the all-or-nothing aiming. Thankfully the gyro controls in the 3DS version make it okay again.

#4160 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Yeah, I definitely notice that in vc games. It's kind of a huge shame, really, cause the shooting gallery in MM is especially difficult with the all-or-nothing aiming. Thankfully the gyro controls in the 3DS version make it okay again.

If you've mistakenly thought the issue only affects Nintendo, it doesn't. The same hyper sensitivity issue plagues the Banjo Kazooie & Tooie HD ports on Xbox 360.

#4161 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

I never liked the N64 control stick.  It always felt too rigid.  Having opened it up to clean it several times, I discovered there's a GIANT spring that keeps it neutral.  Putting it back in is nearly impossible, but with enough effort, you can shove it back in.  

#4162 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

I never liked the N64 control stick.  It always felt too rigid.  Having opened it up to clean it several times, I discovered there's a GIANT spring that keeps it neutral.  Putting it back in is nearly impossible, but with enough effort, you can shove it back in.  

Was that an official Nintendo branded N64 analog stick? The one I opened up just had powder inside it which uh, was necessary for the analog stick to do its thing xD I bought a 3rd party analog stick from Gametraders to replace it but it just isn't the same (it's like stiff and has awkward resistance to movement) :/

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 08 February 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#4163 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:13 PM

Was that an official Nintendo branded N64 analog stick? The one I opened up just had powder inside it which uh, was necessary for the analog stick to do its thing xD I bought a 3rd party analog stick from Gametraders to replace it but it just isn't the same (it's like stiff and has awkward resistance to movement) :/

It was the one that came with the console when I bought it, and I have two.  I never buy unofficial controllers...

#4164 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

Beat Final Fantasy XV. Not many games these days are addicting enough for me to play more than 20+ hours, but I sinked a whole 50 hours into this and a lot of it was sidequests. Loved it all the way through, even though there were some gameplay hiccups here and there and more plot holes than a block of swiss cheese. I may still play more of XV to get the most out of the sidequests and additional content, but for now my main focus for PS4 will be switched over to Final Fantasy Type-0.

Edited by Titanium Justice, 09 February 2017 - 01:01 AM.

#4165 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

Started on FF2, which is...a bit of a slog.  Currently, I'm sort of running my party as:

Firion: Spear+Shield Cleric

Maria: Mace+Shield Wizard  (Gonna probably switch back to bows once I get to the Dragoon Isle since the Fire Bow is a significant upgrade at the time)

Gus: Sword+Dagger Warrior

The Origins version makes leveling up weapons (and shields) a lot faster than it was in the Famicom version, but unfortunately leveling up magic still takes quite a while.

Apart from that, still going through Mega Man Battle Network 5 and I'm closing in on the end- I think there's maybe 2 liberation missions left and then the final dungeon?  Unless I'm forgetting one... Either way, should be able to start 6 fairly soon-ish, which is a rather easy game because it's easy to get powerful stuff early on.  But hey, that's half the fun!  More casually, I'm playing some Advance Wars games to scratch my strategy itch, and playing Battlezone on the Atari 2600 because hey, it's an actual FPS on the Atari 2600.  Which is kind of craaaaaaaazy for 1983! (1980 if you count the original arcade version.)  Hell, I haven't even seen anything close to it on the NES.  I wanna pick up Robot Tank at some point because that's basically a more advanced Battlezone and I'd dare say probably the most advanced game on the 2600 that I'm aware of?

#4166 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

I'm splitting duties between Ocarina of Time and Oblivion.

Ocarina of Time 3D, that is. I'd had an odd urge to return to the game for some reason, but I picked the 3DS remake. I haven't been playing it consistently but I've found myself enjoying it far more than the original N64 version. The key difference? Text speed. It's not the fastest in the series, but it's significantly sped up enough to make all the text boxes more bearable. I still wish for a full cutscene skip button and a way to just instantly scroll through every text box, but it's still fast enough that it's not really much of a pain anymore. Honestly that one change alone went a long way to a more satisfactory playthrough. Oh, Hyrule Field still sucks, and the journeys between child dungeons are still boring, but at least I can get to those segments sooner and not be held up as much. And, as always, the game's much more enjoyable after Master Sword.

I think I'm close to finishing Oblivion's story quest, but the real meat has been sidequests. This game is sidequest heaven and I love it. The only issue is when many of those involve navigating labyrinths, caves, ruins, etc. and they're all pretty samey. I'm constantly checking my map to be sure of my position, the puzzles within are repetitive and simplistic, and they're just so boring and uninteresting. Plus, I hate having to often backtrack my way out of them once I reach the goal within. If this were a Zelda game, I'd either be warped out after obtaining what I'm after, or the labyrinth would have been designed cleverly enough to have either an alternative and quicker exit or I would be unlocking a quick path to the exit as I go. Oy... But the story's good, the towns are interesting, and like I said, SIDEQUESTS EVERYWHERE. This game's great for exploring and doing quests and discovering locations. So long as those locations aren't another boring cave that's exactly the same as every other boring cave.

#4167 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

This is generally the problem I have with Elder Scrolls games.  They boast about having so much to do and all these places to go... but it's the same-y wilderness over and over a lot, and its generic dime-a-dozen dungeons.  One thing I'm excited for in particular about Breath of the Wild is for it to show Elder Scrolls how it should be done- with personality and different environments everywhere.  Elder Scrolls could be so much better if I didn't feel like I was passing through the exact same scenery all the time.

#4168 thepsynergist

thepsynergist

thepsynergist

• Members

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Been playing a lot of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne.

It's a really fun game, though BS at times.  Like, when you're trying to level up certain skills, you're forced to be weak to certain elements/ailments.  If you want to level up good physical skills, you have to be weak to insta-death effects.  If your MC dies, it's game over, even if the rest of the demons in your party live.  It's a pain sometimes.  It's still fun though.

#4169 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:00 AM

I think I'm close to finishing Oblivion's story quest, but the real meat has been sidequests. This game is sidequest heaven and I love it. The only issue is when many of those involve navigating labyrinths, caves, ruins, etc. and they're all pretty samey. I'm constantly checking my map to be sure of my position, the puzzles within are repetitive and simplistic, and they're just so boring and uninteresting. Plus, I hate having to often backtrack my way out of them once I reach the goal within. If this were a Zelda game, I'd either be warped out after obtaining what I'm after, or the labyrinth would have been designed cleverly enough to have either an alternative and quicker exit or I would be unlocking a quick path to the exit as I go. Oy... But the story's good, the towns are interesting, and like I said, SIDEQUESTS EVERYWHERE. This game's great for exploring and doing quests and discovering locations. So long as those locations aren't another boring cave that's exactly the same as every other boring cave.

If you're playing Oblivion, have you played Skyrim yet? Most of the dungeons and stuff in that game are designed to where there's always a shortcut or secret passage to exit the place immediately once you're done. I've never played Oblivion, but I always assumed that it was the same way in that game.

Edited by kurt91, 10 February 2017 - 12:00 AM.

#4170 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

I still think Oblivion has far superior cave/dungeon design than Skyrim. Each cave/dungeon in Oblivion feels different unlike in Skyrim where they all feel samey.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 10 February 2017 - 01:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users