ZC in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

Everyone skip to EDIT 2 to get ZC working on Windows 7!

I know that Vista had problems and I was wondering if anyone tried it on Windows 7. I plan to just download 2.10 but I might download the latest 2.5 build. I just wanted to see if I could save myself some time before I got it and realized it didn't work. Windows 7 seems to be better than Vista so far and if no one has tried ZC on it yet I'll just get ZC and tell everyone how it goes.

EDIT: Just so everyone knows ZC does work with Windows 7 (for the most-part (real word?) better than Vista). The only problem is that sometimes the colors get messed up, but not that badly, though this may be my computer's fault not Windows 7.

EDIT 2: Franpa at AGN wrote a simple batch program for fixing Windows 7's color issue (some taskbar layering stuff). Check after the fix for a link to the original thread.

Place this batch file (copy and paste into notepad and Save As insertnamehere.bat to make it a batch file) in your ZC folder and run. Change zelda-w.exe to zquest-w.exe to fix for ZQ.

CODE

@echo off
@echo ================================================
@echo Welcome to Franpa's Zelda Classic Colour Fix! v1.00
@echo ================================================
@echo Simply place this BAT file into your Zelda Classic folder and execute it instead of the games EXE file,
@echo this will close all instances of Explorer.exe then start the game, when closing
@echo the game, Explorer.exe is reloaded.

@echo off
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
Zelda-w.exe -fast
Start explorer.exe

Here is the original thread at AGN.
*Warning* Link is definitely broken.

You can also do this:
-Right-click "zelda-w.exe"
-Properties > Compatibility
-check:
[X] 256 colors
[X] 640x480 p screen resolution

Edited by Cameron, 06 August 2010 - 12:11 PM.

#2 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:13 PM

It should work. If not, try some of the methods used to have ZC 2.10 work on Vista.

#3 Plissken

Plissken

What's with these homies dissing our girls?

• Members

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:17 PM

Just as all versions work in Vista, all work in 7. It's easier to get them working in 7 though.

#4 DigiPro31279

DigiPro31279

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

From what I have heard about of Windows 7, it has the great capabilities of Vista but the great running strength of XP. I think Microsoft finally got it right and Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. It seems like every other version of windows is the best one to get. 98 was great, but Me is was poor. XP was great, but Vista was horrible (although great graphics). I just think 7 is just the best of XP's speed and Vista's graphic capabilities put together and got it right this time.

I hope it does work with 7 because I am planning to get it around the holidays.

#5 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:58 PM

I downloaded ZC 2.10.2 (the one with the launcher) and the newest 2.5 beta. They both work great except the border around ZC , not Zquest, is pink.
This is most noticable when going in caves and such because the circle that zooms in on Link is also pink. The color on the top of widows is also kinda screwy. Other than that it works perfectly and this might just be an isolated incident.

It also does not seem to make a differene whether you run as administrator or not.

Edited by XxGamasterxX, 19 October 2009 - 01:59 PM.

#6 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:14 PM

Sounds like a graphicsw problem.

Sometimes when I run it on Linux in both ZC and ZQuest, the colors go screwy. It seems random, though. Pink is a favorite color of Zelda Classic, apparently.

#7 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:55 AM

Ok. Well other than that ZC works much better on 7 than Vista.

#8 DigiPro31279

DigiPro31279

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

Great to know. Glad to see someone already using the new Windows to let us know how things are going.

#9 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

I'm actually using Build 7100 (Evaluation) but I'm pretty positive it's almost exactly the same as the final release.

#10 DigiPro31279

DigiPro31279

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:13 PM

I don't see why they would make it any different...it would then end up being class action suit for false advertising and I don't think Microsoft will want any more legal problems. The computer teacher where I sub at already has it on his main machine (probably the same build) and he likes it.

#11 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE(XxGamasterxX @ Oct 20 2009, 05:00 PM) View Post
I'm actually using Build 7100 (Evaluation) but I'm pretty positive it's almost exactly the same as the final release.
You would be correct. Build 7600 runs it the same as 7100. I have issues running it on Windows 7, as I did with Windows Vista, but I also have XP installed on a different partition, and ZC/ZQ still runs screwy. It's a graphics issue with my computer. Good thing I'll be upgrading my video card soon.

#12 Cameron

Cameron

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

Yeah it might just be a video card problem for me too. I'm pretty positive this computer is made from old Soviet tanks.

#13 DigiPro31279

DigiPro31279

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:41 PM

Wish me luck...I got Windows 7 this evening and will be installing it.

#14 MaximusFred

MaximusFred

Zelda Master Of Science

• Members

Posted 02 November 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi everyone!

I just installed Windows 7 on every of my home computers and works very well.

Even Zelda Classic 2.10 is running on my PC until now.

To start Zelda Classic on Win 7 you have to do the following things:
(Click right on the Zelda Classic.EXE)

-Check "Run as administrator"

and add the following line behind the TARGET of the applicaction:

- " -res 640 480 big -fullscreen"

That should work.

Best regards,

Fred, (MSc)

EDIT:

How can I get rid off this stupid PINK color?!?!?

Edited by MaximusFred, 02 November 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#15 DigiPro31279

DigiPro31279

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:51 PM

My desktop computer needs a hard reboot with the Win 7....which I will do after I get my laptop upgraded for free at Best Buy with their promotion since I bought it there back in August. My ZC 2.10 player isn't working since I used the 2.5 beta but the ZQuest 2.10 works just as well as the ZQuest 2.5 beta for right now...my desktop is still a bit screwy at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users