Photo

Map of the Month 23

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 23 (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

Hey all, and welcome to another Map of the Month!

We've reached contest number 23. Isn't that amazing? Also, yes, Map of the Year is late, but we'll get to it eventually. Was a pretty big undertaking the last time, and due to limited time at the moment, it's gonna have to wait a little while longer.

Aaaanyways, we have some pretty swell maps for your eyes to feast on this fine evening, and I shall belay the voting no further!

Beefster
"Proof that the classic tileset is underrated. Look at this beautiful forest! This used only layer 0."

Lord Settra!
"Wanna find the sword? Then hurry up, the Moblins search it too!"

Sheik91

No Caption

Yoshidude
No Caption

And that's that. See ya next time, and good luck everybody!

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:29 PM

Darn! My updated map didn't get into the contest so if you guys notice the tile error, sorry
anyway good maps everybody

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:38 PM

Nulled. That map is part of a new envisioning of Aurelia in the tileset I started making back in the day. However, due to the project beeing canceld it has never been and will never be used. Still figured I could support MotM by posting a map. I sort of consider it my master-piece (= my best work).

Edit: Oh, and credit for most of the tiles goes to Linkus. Credit for the water goes to Evile. The rest of the tiles are Nintendo's (BS Zelda, tMC) or custom tiles /edits by me. Credit to Radien for his BS tileset, credit to Relic for his Incomplete tMC tileset and for his Hyrule Fantasy which obviously was source of inspiration for me. Also, credit to Robin, who I talked much to while working on this map.

Edited by Sheik91, 16 March 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#4 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:40 PM

holy crap! Sheik wins! That's the greatest map I've ever seen!!

#5 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

It was really between Sheik and Beefster. In the end, I voted for Beefster. Sheik's map has just a little too much detail for me.

#6 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Beefster - A little boring and too...straightforward. But I likey! 7/10

Lord Settra! - Very nice! Not much to comment on. 8/10

Sheik91 - Very good! Can't complain about anything, except the water and cloud combo is sort of confusing. 8.5/10

Yoshidude - Love it! A nice, peaceful little town! But, it needs some dirt! 7/10

Overall, I decided to vote for Yoshidude. For his determination, spirit, and courage to stick into MotM when he's still new. Also, a great job with the Pure tileset can't hurt. Good job, buddy! icon_wink.gif

Edited by Lynker, 16 March 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#7 chainswap

chainswap

Initiate

• Members

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

voted for lord settra! and here is why

i liked the colors used
also like the screen design it looks fun to play on XD
and i love forests which is also why Beefster got 2nd place in my heart ;3

and also no offense to sheik91 but when im lookin at map of the month im lookin for more than 5 or 6 screens crammed together but it still looks very nice icon_biggrin.gif
and i know its time consuming to do a lot of screens trust meh -_- and sometimes people just dont have the time so i understand
also with all the detail you put it would prob. take forever to do alot of screens.

Edited by chainswap, 16 March 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#8 Giggidy

Giggidy

We live for chaos so that we may die for ourselves.

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

Shiek. Sorry guys, a detailed but small map beats a big but empty one any day.

My main problems:

Dirt-Grass border.

BS mountains.

Lack of contrast.

Edited by Giggidy, 17 March 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Sheik, no contest. Everything about it is amazing. My only gripe is it took a second for me to realize everything was floating. Still, it's awesome. Amazing job! Please Sheik, for the love of all things good, do something with that. It's too awesome to let go unused.

#10 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:43 AM

Thanks again, guys. icon_smile.gif
Well, chainswap, these are only 6 screens, yes. But I wouldn't say that I've "crammed them together". I actually placed every tile (even 8x8 pixel tiles...) which quite a lot of thought.
Giggidy, the reason I used these BS tiles is that I wanted the tileset to be a crossover of BS Zelda and tMC.
Russ, thanks for your vote. About "reading/understanding" the map: It looks much clearer in-game. The screens are built to work as screens (one by one) rather than as a map. Also, everything that hangs in the sky is actually animated and floats up and down briefly. It's pretty acsessable in-game, really.
And the tileset isn't going to waist as jimmyb is actually working with it. Or to be more precise: he has a copy of it and can do what ever he pleases with it.

Edited by Sheik91, 18 March 2011 - 03:34 AM.

#11 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:59 AM

Sheik you magnificent bastard. Although I have qualms about voting for such a small map, it's supremely imaginative and it's detailed very well. Really can't complain about anything here.

#12 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Mar 17 2011, 03:43 AM) View Post
Giggidy, the reason I used these BS tiles is that I wanted the tileset to be a crossover of BS Zelda and tMC.

I figured, but they look more like a pile of rocks than a proper cliffside, so it's still points deducted for bad tile choice. Still, it's way better than what everyone else has up there.

#13 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Giggidy @ Mar 17 2011, 02:25 AM) View Post

Shiek. Sorry guys, a detailed but small map beats a big but empty one any day.

My main problems:

Dirt-Grass border.

BS mountains.

Lack of contrast.
And my map is big and empty? how so? icon_unsettled.gif

#14 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:45 AM

I think he means Beefsters map. It's big and empty.

#15 Giggidy

Giggidy

• Banned

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:46 AM

I more had Settra's map in mind when I said that, but your map suffers mostly from jpeg-ism, lack of suitable ground detail, and those odd-perspective brick pathways. For Pure your map's about as good as it gets detail-wise without overcrowding the screens or making major modifications to the tileset, but Sheik's sexy MC graphics still win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users