• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, there were ones who charged, and ones who shot small tridents. But not both.

#32 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jan 10 2007, 07:05 PM) View Post

Matthew:

It's not just that the Death Knight is hard, it's also that I think the means used to achieve that difficulty are pretty stupid. For instance, the Death Knight is so fast that it can run circles around you, but it's not going to, because it always beelines it directly to your location.

Also, even after obtaining the Gold Ring, it still deals 5 hearts of damage each time it touches you. No enemy in the entire official Zelda series has ever been able to hurt you that much, and the ones that deal 4 hearts (after taking into account whatever damage reduction you're likely to have when you encounter them) are usually very, very slow.

The Death Knight is vulnerable from all sides?... That's kinda inconsistent... what makes it a Darknut if it has no protection from the front? icon_confused.gif

It sounds like the main reason the Death Knight is easy for you is because it's predictable. Like Megaman bosses, high difficulty can be circumvented much more easily if you know exactly where to stand and do the exact same thing several times in a row. However, in a 2D overhead game, where doing the same thing repeatedly usually doesn't require you to move much, I find that sort of strategy to be far more annoying than it is difficult.

As for boss qualities: I think a good ZC boss should be....

1. big and hard to avoid, taking up at least 4 tiles of space,
2. hard to damage because you have to figure out what item to use and how,
3. closely tied with the surroundings of the boss room, and
4. defensive enough that it takes more than a minute or two to defeat.
I'm not a fan of "bosses" that are just souped-up versions of normal fights, especially if that means a horde of normal enemies all in the same room, kinda like you see in Four Swords Adventures. They don't call them "boss fights" in FSA, and for good reason. If you want to soup up an existing enemy, I think it's far better to do so to a standard ZC boss enemy, like Gleeok 2 or somesuch.

Beyond that, I think custom bosses are necessary for a good boss fight. icon_shrug.gif

Well, I'm not changing the size of this Hyper Darknut. And being vulnerable from all sides isn't inconsistent to Zelda- The Oracles games had Darknuts that fired Arrows at you, and THEY were vulnerable from all sides! Besides, it won't JUST be a souped-up version... especially if I can script it to do something else that'd be dangerous... Okay, I'll tone down the strength and speed, but I WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE, okay?

#33 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(Matthew @ Jan 11 2007, 02:41 PM) View Post

Well, I'm not changing the size of this Hyper Darknut. And being vulnerable from all sides isn't inconsistent to Zelda- The Oracles games had Darknuts that fired Arrows at you, and THEY were vulnerable from all sides! Besides, it won't JUST be a souped-up version... especially if I can script it to do something else that'd be dangerous... Okay, I'll tone down the strength and speed, but I WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE, okay?

Hey, it's your quest... do what you want. icon_wink.gif I don't often have time to play custom quests, so chances are I won't be playing it anyway.

Darknuts who fire arrows.... weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users