#1 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 01 January 2024 - 12:27 PM

Link to the Heavens by Pineconn

q217s2.gif q217s5.gif q217s6.gif

This quest is, in my opinion, 2 complete overworlds and 9 full dungeons of pure Zelda. Taking 2 and a half years to construct this quest, expect to have anywhere from 15 to 30 or more hours of solid gameplay. The difficulty is not over-the-top, yet you'll encounter many interesting puzzles, many of which are totally new to Zelda. This quest includes almost every item; you'll find two in each of the quest's eight main dungeons and one in each mini-dungeon. You'll encounter Zelda's typical overworld areas, including a forest, lake, mountain, swamp, snowy mountain, and more. You can also amass a full 16-heart life gauge and a full 8-unit magic meter. Additionally, I've taken great care in making sure that grammar is perfect and that directions are as clear as possible.

Note: I strongly suggest that you do not use a 2.5 beta to play this quest, as you will encounter several compatibility bugs that may inhibit you from completing the quest. Please use version 2.10.

Regardless, I hope that you truly enjoy Link to the Heavens and that you have a load of fun. Many already have, so don't miss your chance.

A fun and somewhat overlooked 2.10 quest. Kind of the epitome of 2.10 design outside of Hero of Dreams. It was a big inspiration for a lot of my own early work.

This one I haven't played. I remember Evan praising it but at the time I sort of wrote it off because I wasn't in a 2.10 mood. We'll see!

I feel a little self-conscious about consistently rolling Russ/Deedee quests here; I'd abstained from being a curator myself to try to give our friend group less influence overall. I'm gonna rig it in Haylee's and SofaKing's favor for the next two rolls, I think.

• Anthus, Twilight Knight and Demonlink like this

#2 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 01 January 2024 - 12:37 PM

One of the best quests in the database. I think it's fully playable in 2.55, the issue was about the ladder's behaviour. There is a certain room in Level 6 (if I recall correctly) that requires the ladder to progress; but in 2.50 versions, it behaved differently and you couldn't finish the dungeon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this. :P

#3 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 January 2024 - 02:58 PM

If this is playable in 2.55 I may give this one a go, unsure 2.10 would work on my PC.

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 January 2024 - 04:56 PM

It should be playable fine. There was a single compatibility bug in 2.50 on a single screen. That should've been fixed on ZC's side by now, and if not, it'll be quickly reported when people get there and fixed.

I feel a little self-conscious about consistently rolling Russ/Deedee quests here; I'd abstained from being a curator myself to try to give our friend group less influence overall. I'm gonna rig it in Haylee's and SofaKing's favor for the next two rolls, I think.

I'd have probably rigged it for this roll. Not that I mind seeing our picks chosen, admittedly. This one is at least an old school quest that was a favorite back in the day and not something made in our in group.

#5 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 01 January 2024 - 05:27 PM

This has...not been a promising starting sequence. Trekking all over the 2.10 town looking for the sword wasn't engaging gameplay, I just wanted to get to the dungeons. And then when I finally got to the dungeon, with all three keys in hand, the game still wouldn't let me just do the fucking dungeon without another trek back to town. (There's an NPC in town who warns you about this if you go to him with the sword, but by the time I had the sword I didn't want to spend one more second in the town, so I didn't talk to him.)

For those of you who want to skip some of the padding:
Spoiler

#6 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 01 January 2024 - 07:33 PM

I remember Evan praising it but at the time I sort of wrote it off because I wasn't in a 2.10 mood. We'll see!

THIS WAS END OF TIME DX, I STAND CORRECTED

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 01 January 2024 - 09:06 PM

Three dungeons in. I have mixed feelings on this one. There's parts that are pretty neat, it's competently put together, but it shares a lot of the common growing pains of 2.10. The dungeons don't feel like they're respecting my time. There's been a lot of booting me back to the start, a lot of repeating block puzzles. It's a quest that feels inoffensive in a lot of ways but also feels very dated. I tried this one back when I was new to ZC and I don't think I made it past level 1. I remember seeing videos of later dungeons though and they seemed interesting at the time, so I guess we'll see where this goes...

#8 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 02 January 2024 - 02:52 PM

THIS WAS END OF TIME DX, I STAND CORRECTED

smh I don't even post here much anymore and I still get slandered.  :goof:

• Anthus, Russ and Deedee like this

#9 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 02 January 2024 - 03:57 PM

Some of Evan's other favorite quests include Spikes of Doom, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari, and The Legend of Zelda: The Inverse Mirror which will definitely be out any day now.

• Russ and Evan20000 like this

#10 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 02 January 2024 - 06:07 PM

OKAY ACTUALLY A COUPLE MORE FOR THE ROAD THOUGH:

-Sakura Street Fighter
-The sample qst that comes with Newbie Boss
-Tartaros: the Tartaros of Tartaros

#11 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 02 January 2024 - 06:10 PM

OKAY ACTUALLY A COUPLE MORE FOR THE ROAD THOUGH:

-Sakura Street Fighter

She's just worse Ken smh.

#12 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 02 January 2024 - 10:30 PM

Played up to level 3. This quest feels very comfy; the only bad design so far is the swamp. Raised my eyebrow at lamp costing magic, but I didn't realize I could get magic upgrades at that point. I like the polish in stuff like having secrets animate with a poof when you trigger them, nice touch. Looking forward to playing more of this when I'm not tired.

#13 SofaKing

SofaKing

Defender

• Members

Posted 03 January 2024 - 10:14 AM

Yeah I played this not too long ago.  It's fun but definitely shows it's age in places.  But some of the puzzles and gameplay are/is extremely good.  There's one screen on L9 that pissed me off to no end but I got past it.  Most of the levels are reasonably short as I recall.    

#14 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members

Posted 03 January 2024 - 07:43 PM

Finished up to the end of Level 3 in a single play session. Given the difficulty of Umbral Cloud, this so far has been a pretty nice palate cleanser. It's simple, does some neat things, but all in all, is very much a quintessential Pure Quest. It has many of the hallmarks of the era of ZC it was released in, and I think it's quite neat because of that.

The quest plays it quite safe, mostly focused on an incredibly simplistic "Link get triforce" plot with fairly little deviation in the way of common dungeon theming, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It at this point seems to be taking what already worked at the time, and continuing to make fun stuff within that box. My only real criticism is that one of the more unique mechanics so far, the Inns, have been pretty much completely worthless and not worth the money out of the ones I've been to so far.

Either way, it's a fun quest, and I see myself finishing it in a good few play sessions.

Edited by Haylee, 03 January 2024 - 07:48 PM.

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 January 2024 - 10:06 AM

At level 5. The key hunt leading to this one is such pointless padding. For level 1 it was fine because the keys were all easy to collect and in the same area, but doing it again with a random key in the sky and another one in a gauntlet minidungeon just irritates me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users