Photo

Need testers for Dreams of Yesterday 2013.

• Please log in to reply
1041 replies to this topic

#91 Umbra

Umbra

Tonberry

• Members

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

Also, I found your memorial in the graveyard... Is it really true?

Edited by Umbra, 12 March 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#92 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

Sadly yes, Umbra.

Thanks for your patience, folks. I'm still diligently working on the quest. I'm in the middle of a hell of a run-through. I've found and fixed more bugs, spelling errors, niggling little issues, and {other} than I thought I would ever manage to find.

Quite a few nice little changes in the quest.
  • Arrows (and their subscreen elements) are fully implemented. I'm putting up arrow upgrade rooms right now as I type this. Converting Bomb Upgrade rooms to them.
  • All 8 Magic Containers are in place, as are the magic meters. The first one you get is in the room with the Owl near the beginning of the quest.
  • Putting up Item Strings, so you get a message when you get them.
  • Changed some Sound Effects (SFX) for many items; mostly swords, and item pickup sounds. The last two swords sound like the last two swords in ALTTP now. It's pretty sweet.
  • Some more miniboss-type effects, like just before you get the boss key in Marathon. Boss music and everything.
  • Added some room effects and hints so people won't blatantly miss things they're supposed to. Marathon is slightly easier for this. Just slightly.
  • Added some shortcuts to and from Pulcheria Village in the northwest of the village.
  • There are some rooms where Link won't get stuck now.
  • Handled some enemy vulnerabilities as per Umbra's post above. Sorry I haven't responded to that; it's a bit much. icon_razz.gif Even for me.
  • Enemy Droprates have been created and modified to support arrow drops and magic drops.
  • The last 2 swords now use 1 magic for the beams, but when you run out, you don't lose the sword or downgrade; you just don't fire beams from it. It's a more elegant solution, I think.
  • I still need to write the script for the Light Arrows to disable them when you run out of magic, to turn them into the Ice Arrows. But the Ice Arrows no longer use magic, thank goodness, so it won't be much of a problem.
  • We now start with the (Slow) Magic Ring to regenerate magic. I feel like magic should be innate to the person anyway. Faster magic rings will be available for purchase later, and the really fast one will be found in a difficult dungeon.
  • We also start with the small quiver so we can fire arrows, but this is an invisible change.
  • Added a tiny, tiny dungeon in northwest Crystal Canyons (screen 10) with an arrow upgrade room.
I guess that's it for now. I'll keep y'all updated.

Oh, right, just one more thing. A normal Heart Container adds 16 Hit Points by default, and it still does in DoY. A normal Magic Container adds 32 Magic by default; this is to accommodate the "1/2 magic" upgrade, so that it's not that your maximum magic doubles, but the usage of each magic-related drain is reduced by half, so it seems like your magic lasts longer. But I've made each Magic Container increase your magic by 64! The maximum magic you can have is 512. Half of that is the 256 that results from 8 x 32. So, enjoy. Plenty of magic. That one magic bar should last you for a decent amount of time, and when you get more, that 1 magic cost will seem like nothing at all. Been testing it, and it's true. You can barely tell. Just don't go nuts with it.

This is because you find your first Magic Container near the Owl at the beginning of the game, ... aaaaand have to find the rest. It's hard. Probably. They're certainly not obvious. I mostly replaced HCPs with them

Here's a list of all current altered or new upgrades: (Thanks again to pixcalibur for the list of bomb upgrades that I used to craft this list.) - Note: To read the coordinates, if these are useful to you, each map is a 16x8 grid, with Hex numbers going to the right. So the upper-left screen is 00, the screen to its right is 01, and the first screen on the second to the top row is 10, and the last screen on that row is 1F.

Spoiler

So Here's the progress. You'll definitely notice quite a few changes, including tall grass, new sound effects, a slightly modified subscreen, arrows, magic, ... ... the whole thing is about 20% cooler. You'll notice it in about ten seconds flat.

EDIT: 11:55 AM 3/24/13
YES!!!

I got the Light Arrow -> Ice Arrow transition to work! icon_biggrin.gif

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Oh god. So happy. Scripting!

So when you have less than 2 arrows OR have less than 16 magic, you'll go from the Light Arrows to the Ice Arrows. But when you use the Ice Arrows and have more than 1 Arrow and more than 15 Magic, you'll get the Light Arrow Back to fire it! Pretty sweet.

Check it out from the link above.

Woo! ^.^

Now I can start on the Dojo again.

EDIt: 5:23 PM EST, 3/25/13 - I fully implemented Slash. We are now capable of going all the way into the Dojo, paying the fee, and learning Slash. It all works. I even managed to pull of some stupid ZQuest trick where he asks you to slash three times to advance to the next screen, anywhere on the screen, to show it off, and it triggers a warp on the third time. No scripts or anything. Pretty awesome.

Now to work on the adjoining rooms to learn the other sword (and hammer) skills.

#93 Umbra

Umbra

Tonberry

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:02 PM

First, I have to tell you that my computer that I play Zelda Classic on( as well as having all my save files) is down due to a problem with the charger, and has been for 2 weeks. icon_cry.gif I'm typing this from Mom's desktop, and just managed to get here to do this. Which means one thing- I'm finished helping with the later areas for a while, possibly a VERY long while depending if I'm allowed to get ZC on this desktop... which I doubt. icon_sorry.gif

icon_freak.gif It was true after all... icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif icon_cry.gif

Congratulations on getting it working at last, and thanks for removing the magic problem with the MP regen ability. I'll admit, that was a clever and very effective compromise... at least on paper. Let's see how it works out during testing, and then we can make final adjustments.

Again, think about the dungeon concepts people throw your way- you said you would on the first post, and now I'm here to hold you to it... icon_superevil.gif
(P.S. Speaking of which, except for that answer about one of my ideas, which was debunked in my later posts where I expounded and clarified my concepts, you never did give me an opinion about my ideas... So I'll just mention here that I'm waiting for a response concerning the concepts, but that there's no rush in doing so... Think about the ideas and how they would fit into the dream corruption storyline arc, weigh the difficulty in making them and whether the result would be worth it, and respond when you feel ready. Take your time, because whatever the answer, I would expect it to be the right one [I trust your judgement, in essence...], made for the right reasons that I hope you share [As long as you explain what goes on in your head, that is.]... This applies to every idea you get, btw. We are giving you a lot of respect and trust, and it'd be nice to get a honest answer in return.)
(P.S.S. If you do decide to implement my ideas, implement them after you finish working on everything else. The other stuff should come first, ESPECIALLY THAT CAT.)

Yay for slash! icon_biggrin.gif Keep up the great work!

#94 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:55 PM

G'haa... sorry about the computer. That's never fun. Can a new charger be ordered? Even still, ZC doesn't require anything in particular to function. It doesn't install anything, doesn't leave any cookies, ... it can just be downloaded right into a folder, unzipped, get a quest file, and play. It's entirely harmless. Especially 2.5, which DoY is now using.

As for the ideas for new areas, let's make a handy reference on how they should/could work:
  • There should be a reward. At least one. It should tie in with the theme of the dungeon.
  • The area must have a theme.
  • It can be of any particular size. It doesn't matter at all how big it is. The only difference is that bigger areas take time to build. Keep in mind that the tileset I'm working with is FAR from optimized, and is rather odd. I work a lot better with stuff I've built from the ground up, and not everything has relational / dungeon carving mode set up. That's my baby right there. With those modes, I can set up an entire dungeon (Assuming I have it all planned out) in a full day, whereas without them, I can only make three to five screens in a day. Big difference. Those walls and floor borders take forever to build.
  • Each area should have a plot behind it; a reason for existence.
  • Each area shouldn't necessarily step on anyone else's toes. That is, it shouldn't become awkward in terms of the "timeline" of the quest, and shouldn't mess with the order of items acquired. For example, it shouldn't suddenly allow movement between the Devouring Forest and the Crypt, which aren't exactly next to each other.
  • It shouldn't overlap with the nightmares of anything else. Nightmares within nightmares don't make a ton of sense.

The B-3 having keys as well? Ok, that could help out, but I still think it could be a bit too easy. With that armor, even DeathKnights quake in fear of your power. What I was thinking was that the current temple stays the same (with the possible exception of the OP, easy to find, only 1 relic and ladder needed Light Arrows), and that when you reach Zelda, instead of finding her awake and willing to give you the Gold Ring just like that, you instead find that she, like most every other human or little elf on the face of Hyrule, was affected by the curse as well. You could then enter her dreams there, only to find that she's dreaming of the Great Temple of her time... Except that unlike the past that actually happened, Ganon's curse transformed the temple of her memories into a temple that has fallen to the forces of evil. (That's why I had named it Zelda's Nightmare- The Fallen Temple...) Then, you'd have a fun time working your way through the Great Temple in reverse of the last time, finding the Golden Arrows as a dungeon item on the first floor, and then working up through the upper floors that undoubtedly had existed before time weathered it away... Eventually you'd find the boss, which as it's Zelda's nightmare would probably be a Phantom Ganon, and in the final room you'd find the uncrystallized Zelda, who would give you the Triforce of Wisdom's blessing, as I think that was the Gold Ring... But that's just me thinking, and everyone who knows me that my ideas always lead to trouble...

(If you haven't figured out by now that I actually put a good bit of thought into how these would work, and how to find ways to make them fit the game's storyline and maybe even have a bit of backstory in and of themselves, then I'll be like this... . Because as I said before, I can't use ZC to make my own quests... but just for the record here, that does NOT mean that I don't get ideas, or that they aren't good. It just means I have to rely on others who are gifted in using ZC to take my ideas and use them. I'm not intending to give offense, so please don't take any; I'm saying this to be honest, and so you know that I don't want my ideas dismissed out of hand... because only through talented quest creators and editors like yourself can any of my ideas ever see the light of day.)

Well, let's see. Zelda is in a crystal that blocks the effects of the nightmares, so she can just give Link the Gold Tunic on her own. I can't really dispute that. It was never a "Link-driven" thing, really, armor. Everyone else has always given Link his protection. The Blue Ring is from a merchant, the Red Ring is found in Level 9, the Goron Tunic, Zora tunic, .. etc etc. The Master Sword, on the other hand, is Link's personal weapon. Thus, the L4 Sword totally deserves to have its own temple / dungeon devoted to it. I think it's the next big project I'll undertake. I'll likely completely replace that. It'll be awesome. Because I want it to be awesome.

... and it must be awesome. = =.

Present Master Sword temple daydreams now. I am open to them!!!!

#95 Umbra

Umbra

Tonberry

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Ty for the reply. Didn't know the crystal was a shield against magic as well; I thought that it merely sustained her in a state where she was capable of existing forever in a state of mind where she was constantly dreaming, or dream flux. If that had been the case, it would make sense for the spell woven by Ganon and his two minions to be capable of influencing her dreams... To be honest, even if she's protected, the spell should have had some effect, as Zelda would be needing to constantly battle against the spell to maintain her own, now that I think about it.

The problem with my computer isn't just the charger- my computer's charger port appears to be damaged as well, and incapable of receiving a consistent charge. icon_unsettled.gif

I also submitted a concept for the True Master Sword dungeon along with the other one. I also submitted an idea for the possible boss. Check back to where you took the quote from, it's right above it.

By the rights vested in me as nobody important, and from the Zelda game series, I declare that the name for the sword obtained from that new dungeon is "True Master Sword" via Skyward Sword. icon_razz.gif

#96 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Looks amazing, can not wait for the release. any idea when that might be, and do you need anymore beta testers?

#97 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Thanks, jwed; could always use more testers. Always. icon_razz.gif It's not like I'm stingy about giving people a shot. I mean anyone can just pick up the file, start playing it, and submit screenshots. That's why I don't stick a gun to peoples' heads and be all like TESTING about it. That's just crazy IMHO.

Here's the file. The latest file will always be there, at that location. Not just that link, but any link (For 2.5!!) that you find in this thread or the other help thread. I just overwrite the file and the URL stays the same. Submit any bugs in screenshot form, (Just one will do) and a tiny description, and I will be very much beyond appreciative.

Umbra - I tell you what. Got a fun challenge for yeh.

I would love to see your dream (no pun intended) realized. So I'll do you one better.

If you can create the full map for the place, on paper (and scanned in) or in MSPaint or whatever, with all the warps, keys, locked doors, interesting switch locations, general events, map "flow" etc, all in there, and I like what I see, then I will outright use your idea.

But if I come up with something better first, and start working on it, then I might have to continue working with it on my own.

That goes for anyone. If you come up with something really neat, and see it through to the end, so there's no gaps missing, I can and probably will build it. The hardest thing for me is coming up with individual screen designs before I start building. If I know what I'm building before I build it, just try and stop me. Seriously. Bring it, 'foo!

-------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: The Dojo is 2/3 complete. I just need to tackle the right wing - The sword skills wing. Going to be interesting to pick out a set of challenges for the player.

Fun fact: Only the first three rooms that you visit are "linked" without using Side Warps. Every other room connects to the adjacent rooms via side warps that don't go in the actual direction you're traveling in. If you looked at it in ZQuest, you'd totally pull out your hair.

#98 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

So. Question for y'all.

Does anyone think that the music in the Final Area, the Deku Tree, is acceptable? Could it be different?

(Note: Ctrl-Click the URL of these, then on the new "Forbidden" page, go to the URL, click on it, and hit enter. It'll play just fine in Windows Media Player or whatever you have.)

I'm thinking something like:
  1. Castlevania 5: Cemetary (Because it's heavily driven, and relentless.)
  2. (Same ^ ) Symbol of Darkness (Loosely Based Illusionary Dance Remix)
  3. Castlevania 3 Aquarius Halloween Remix
  4. (Your choice here)

#99 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

think i may may have found something else, or maybe i am having a noob moment, but i have been all over the dam, and still can not find a key to unlock the 3rd floor door. did i miss one, or is it a bug?

#100 Jubbz

Jubbz

Balls Deep

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:52 AM

I pick the first one!

#101 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE(jwex001 @ Apr 7 2013, 02:23 AM) View Post
think i may may have found something else, or maybe i am having a noob moment, but i have been all over the dam, and still can not find a key to unlock the 3rd floor door. did i miss one, or is it a bug?

There are indeed three keys in the Dam.
  1. The left-most screen of F-1, where there's a blue portal back to the start in the middle of the screen. Push one of the blocks near the portal, and the water will disappear. Slash the pots on the left to get a key.
  2. On F - 2, there is a screen with an Aquamentus on the right side of the screen, isolated by a square of pits. Fall down those pits. (Come back here when the water is higher to get an HCP.) Then when you fall down, go south, then east. There's a key there.
  3. The Bottom-Central screen of F-2 when the water is up has a key in the middle of the previously inaccessible rectangle of land. (Come back later with the hookshot to get an HCP!)

#102 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

Thanks ShadowTiger, just as i thought, a noob moment.

also think i may have found another glitch:

[spoiler=]
IPB Image

beat the boss up to the zora's who shoot at but the above door did not open

[=spoiler]

not sure if did posting right to get spoiler box to show up

Edit:
never-mind, i found my error.

Edited by jwex001, 07 April 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#103 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

not sure if a double post or not, if it is i apologize.

Next bug report:

IPB Image

if you swin down from one screen above this roughly where link is, you can get stuck

IPB Image

IPB Image

if you die in the pond by the mermaid statue, it always sends you here,( btw, what do you do here, got the sword hint, but thats all ive gotten)

IPB Image

IPB Image

on these, when you cut certain bushes, the secret reveal sound goes off, and all that appears is a moving spike in said bush.

IPB Image

for some reason, no matter where i die in the crystal canyon, or dreamland graveyard, i reappear here, unless in a cave.

--
also, i did not get a chance to get a pic of it, but when i first opened up the grave in the NE corner, the entrance glithched preventing entrance until i left the screen and came back

====

right now just trying to find out where to go next after getting the wistle. was told maybe the frog's dream, but not sure where at all. did go through all the way past the desert town, but lost entirely.

great game so far, do have one small question though, what is with the area's that are blocked off in the main town?

#104 Umbra

Umbra

Tonberry

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:11 AM

Well, I just popped back in to check up, and it seems that I've been challenged. Well, that's great, I've needed something to do for a while now, and making a dungeon design would keep me from boredom nicely... Except now I have to finish that playthrough of this game that got interrupted so that I can check the game flow and balance the difficulty. Which means I gotta start ALL over. That's... well, awesome, considering you added a boatload of new stuff in the interim. I just hope the Lens still eats rupees and not magic! icon_razz.gif

P.S. Maybe I'm just dreaming when I think I can build this dungeon, but I'll give it a shot! Pun intended. icon_blah.gif

#105 jwex001

jwex001

Senior

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Another bug update, just slightly smaller. did not play as much tonight.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

when you go left or up from the above screen, you end up on one of the lower two screens, it should be (according to the map[select]):

IPB Image

the upper center section

in error's dream

IPB Image

the warp leads back to the begining of the area
IPB Image
-------------

accidently passed entirely over the desert dungeon. very good challange, even the boss. now just trying to figure out the room in error's dream with the 4-paintings, and the to red waterfalls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users