temporary secrets in cave dmaps

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:20 AM

i want Link to slash an orb to control the water level of a temple, but every time he does so, the orb must reset when he comes back. the problem i run into is that when he slashes the orb in one dmap (say, the shallow water dmap) to reveal secret pits which warp him to the deep water dmap, the slashed orb and the pits stay permanent when he returns. i'm looking for a solution to this problem, please.

a few things i've tried: mixing dmap types (cave and dungeon). doesn't work--Link gets stuck inside dungeon-type dmap. i also tried making the orb a slash-type combo, along with the pits surrounding it, but there's ways to slash the combos without warping, and ways to warp without looking like Link has slashed the orb at all.

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:24 AM

Temporary secrets only occur in dungeon type dmaps. icon_shrug.gif

#3 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:50 AM

oh oops. i forgot to mention that i'm working with cave dmaps, since some of the other things you need to do in the level can only be done with caves.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:52 AM

Well then, there's really no other alternative. Except... you can make it so that instead of an orb you hit with your sword, you press a switch labeled as "Temp. Trigger" which should make it temporary.

#5 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:55 AM

Are you using the new 2.11 betas? If so, there's a screen flag that will (I believe) fix this.

You'd need to set the dmap to dungeon, but flag every room besides the room with the slash orb with the "Treat as Interior Room" flag. This will make the rooms behave like a cave dmap.

I've yet to actually try this, but this is what I've been hearing, anyway.

#6 Akkabus

Akkabus

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:08 AM

i'm only using v2.10 for now, so that's a good suggestion, but i don't think i want to switch over to another version.

as a side note, i think i've seen what i'm looking for done in hero of dreams, level 5, but shoelace designed it in such a way that the switches were one-way tickets to the other dmap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users