8 replies to this topic

#1 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:16 PM

Room State Carry Over

This is what I want to happen:

Link enters a dungeon. In that room, the eastern exit (of the room) is blocked by a series of blocks. These blocks should dissapear at the red sentence (below)

and goes one room north, kills enemies, gets a key, goes 2 rooms south. <---- Not very important, but to grasp the scenario better

In this room, the door is a shutter. Link kills the enemies, and a torch appears (a combo with a burn flag on it).

Link uses the candle on the torch, and it lights up (secret combo is a lit torch)

A block appears

Link pushes the block, and opens the shutters (to my knowledge, secrets are triggered when a non-silent push block is pushed.

Tiered secrets:

The problem I have is that I want the block to appear AFTER the torches have been lit. But when I kill all the enemies, the block appears along with the unlit torches.

If it's not too much trouble, simply tell me:

What should be in the entrace room (Screen flags, etc.)

What should be in the trigger room (with the torches and block)

and what flags should be on what.

Preferably, I would like an example quest, but it's not required.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

Okay, I know how to do this. The enemies -> secrets flag is making ALL secrets appear, not just the torch. What you need to do is set the secret combo for where you want the block to appear to be a floor combo (for the sake of argument, this will be secret combo 17). You can flag secret combos be holding ctrl as you select them. Give secret combo 17 a secret combo flag for 18, which will be the push block. It should work like this:

1. Link kills all enemies. All secret tiles are revealed, but since the secret combo for where you want the block to appear is a regular floor combo, it APPEARS as if nothing was happened. The torches normally.

2. Link lights the torches, activating all remaining secret combos. Secret combo 17 (the floor) changes to secret combo 18 (the push block). The push block appears!

I call this a "Double Secret Combo Maneuver." Now, for the push block to make the columns in the first room lower, you could modify this to be a "Triple Secret Combo Maneuver!" If you aren't grasping it, I'll be happy to provide an example quest on request.

#3 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

The lowerable columns (blocks blocking the door) need to have a secret flag on them which makes them remain as they are (say, flag 16, this flag needs to point to flag 17 which needs to point flag 18. Flag 18 needs to be the lowered block combo).

However, I don't know that tiered secrets can be carried over... Maybe when you kill the enemies, the secret is carried into the other room, but then lighting the torch does nothing. I heard this at AGN: only the first secret is carried over. But I'm not sure!

Just do what I said (I think Ebola Zaire said something else than me, he might be said the same that you already made) and see if it works.

If it doesn't work, then make the block open a door to a completely new room and use THAT room for carrying over the secret by placing only one secret there.

#4 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE(CastChaos @ Jul 2 2007, 04:34 AM) View Post

However, I don't know that tiered secrets can be carried over... Maybe when you kill the enemies, the secret is carried into the other room, but then lighting the torch does nothing. I heard this at AGN: only the first secret is carried over. But I'm not sure!

You are correct good sir. Only the first secret in the tiered secret list will carry over. Since it's the permanent secrets that do the carrying. Since the rest of the secrets will disappear when you leave the room, it will not work.

#5 Majora

Majora

• Members

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

I guess that will have to do. What truly matters is that the player Light the Torches and push the block, to enter the room with the locks gone. Thanks!

#6 Majora

Majora

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

I still can't get it. An example quest someone? It should be on a dungeon DMap.

#7 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

I'll do it. But, before I start, what build are you using? I want to avoid any compatability problems.

#8 Majora

Majora

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:56 AM

I'm using 254 good sir, and thanks!

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Okay, I started working on this and realized that you can't have four torches in one room. You see, the way that burn flags work is by triggering ALL burn flags on the screen when one is burnt. If you burn one of the torches, it would trigger all of the others at the same time. As another side effect, you couldn't trigger a block appearing through burn flags unless you made the ground combo where the block appeared burnable... which would cause all kinds of problems in the room.

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 04 July 2007 - 12:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users