Photo

What's your Favorite Type of Overworlds?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your Favorite Type of Overworlds?

Choices

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

What kind of overworld do you prefer?

#2 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

Vast Overworld with BS Overworlds as regions. Thats mostly what I like. I usually have one main OW with lots of BS off of it so, yeah thats what I like.

#3 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

I guess using BS Overworlds as a base in a vast overworld works great. I experimented with it in SoP and liked it.

#4 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:58 PM

Definately (purposely misspelled) BS Overworld style. The light/dark word has been done by everyone and their grandma, and the regular 16x8 overworld is just too small.

Edited by Ebola Zaire, 28 June 2007 - 01:58 PM.

#5 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, BS is great, but even better are ones that are not set up as a square layout. You have as much space as you want this way, so you don't have to worry about cramming additional screens in. It also has that OoT/MM/TP feel.

#6 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

I like full overworlds, but 16x8 is too damn small. I wish there was a 16x16 map. That would be perfect. Sooo, I guess a partitioned OW is best (made up of smaller BS overworlds).

#7 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:25 PM

If the Link marker in the map can be disabled (if you're using a special mini-map, that is; you can change the Link marker to a blank one if the map is a solid color), then you actually don't need to make fancy overworlds. Just use DMaps and maps. Heck, if you wanted to, your overworld could be 57x32. icon_omg.gif Nobody would have to know. icon_whistle.gif

#8 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:52 PM

I asked because the overworld will take a big role in my TOP SECRET SOD improvement project. And I need some opinions.

#9 The_Amaster

The_Amaster

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

I like the vast overworld, because the scale just feels right to me.

I'm actually using a vast overworld with a dual world, the dual world because I think it's cool, and the vastness because I need all the room to stuff all the stuff in. I think my regular overworld measured around 20 x 20. That's one state only, mind you.

#10 Sacred Nym

Sacred Nym

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

What I particularly like (I voted other) is a vast overworld with Light/Dark aspect as Amaster had just said.

#11 Fire Wizzrobe

Fire Wizzrobe

Master

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:52 PM

I like vast overworlds that are made with multiple full overworlds, and regions divided by their geographical features cuz it's natural. :o

#12 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:52 PM

Regions wins my vote, though it would be awesome if someone made a Quest with a fully-accessable Overworld from the beginning, just like in 1st and 2nd Quest, and the quest was a) actually good, and b) not just another 1st/2nd quest remake. Heck, I oughta try that sometime.

Also I never really liked the light-dark overworld trick. It seems cliched to me. When it's Present/Past or the four seasons, it's not AS bad, and when it's something completely original it's just right. icon_smile.gif

< is an advocate for originality

#13 Old Inactive Member

Old Inactive Member

I'm back sorta.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

Other

I like normal 16x8 maps but they are too small (i found that out by building HvT on a 16x8 )

so i am going to use eather

two or 3 16x8 overwrold maps or

interier (caves) maps and use the Custom subscreens to hid the fact that it is in fact a cave map

but my favitet is more than one 16x8 map

#14 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 05:40 PM

you all seem to like massive overworlds... my FFA quest uses only one BS overworld as the main overworld. You can go to many of the areas straight from the start, however you can't really do much in many of them. I think you'll be able to walk straight to the final dungeon area without even picking up the wooden sword, although you'd just get killed and you won't be able to go in the actual dungeon.

Woo 100 posts. Funny how I reached that so much earlier on AGN eh.

Edited by Joe123, 29 June 2007 - 05:41 PM.

#15 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

In most cases, regions (BS Overworlds)... however, it's more dependant on the storyline of your quest and what you want in it. Or... certain regions have alternate sides to them while other regions have... well, other different sides.

However, no matter what you do, make the most of your overworld(s). Tis annoying going through 10 screens and finding only 20 rupee secrets at most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users