Photo

Hardest RPG ever created!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:29 AM

I started this thread at AGN but i'd like to get the maximum input on this as i can. I am very interested in finding the breaking point in which frustration exceeds tolerance in difficult gaming scenarios. And yes, I am currently replaying armageddon quest as i've lost my saved data because of corruption. But i'm not talking about Z quest games. here goes.

So basically i'm getting bored with all these easy RPG games that are out there, and need something a little more (accually a lot more) difficult, cruel, and unforgiving. I always enjoy a challenge!

0-gamed wind waker, Twilight princess first playthrough.
Beaten FF1 with one character only.
Overcame Star ocean 3 4D difficulty. etc.

Everyone please share your thoughts on the hardest rpg you've played. I've decided to play whatever game is the most notorious for being rediculously hard, no matter what!

My vote so far would have to be Wizardry 1 NES (been awhile, but remember almost breaking my controller at one point on the 6th or 7th level) and SO3 4D difficulty.

What's the hardest RPG you've ever played?

#2 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 May 2007 - 10:14 AM

I hope that it's not a lawbreaking to mention more games...

Final Fantasy VII: Without powerleveling, most of the bosses are very hard and don't even try to get into the final area without extreme equipment. Final boss without the best summon materia? Tough.

Final Fantasy VI: I leveled my characters, trained them at various areas, but the bosses still were hard, especially that a huge amount of them had some outstanding speciality. The "protect XY character" scenarios are dead end without leveling up ALL characters. Furthermore, save points are rare. Even more! In most dungeons, hit the wrong switch and you need to start from an earlier place again...

Chrono Trigger: It can get insane sometimes, and not only the bosses! For example, where the wind blows you down the bridge... It's VERY HARD to get over and if you fall down, you need to backtrack a lot... I trained the characters, but I barely could defeat some bosses... And the final boss... is the most frustrating battle I ever had in any games...

I confirm that the following are pathetically easy: FF8, FF9, FF10.

#3 Papa

Papa

Disruptive and obnoxious member since 2005

• Members

Posted 24 May 2007 - 12:56 PM

Meh, where to start?? Ill keep it simple, this time.

I agree with CC on the ChronoTrigger. Some parts of the game seemed off-balanced in their challenges. Some events early in the game being more frustrating than later boss battles, errggg. Besides that, if youre as obsessive-compulsive as I am, {seriously}, Im the type that must collect EVERY WEAPON, EVERY SPELL, EVERY COIN, etc etc etc. in ANY game I play. So, when confronted with a game with HOW MANY endings??!!?? whats a guy to do?? Heh, I got frustrated while trying to beat the damn thing every possible way with every possible character combination, just to try and get them all. My lil bro and I found 17 endings together, some being variations of standard endings.

And my personal challenge, and I dont know why, is Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra.
Thats all Im gonna say, I dont even want to get into that today.......

~apoetalone~

#4 KDillon

KDillon

Senior

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 06:54 AM

i thought FFX-2 was hard for the 100% =)

play that game and go to bevelle underground bosses there are really hard its 100 floors of monsters every 20th floor has a boss

#5 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(Adioboy @ May 25 2007, 06:54 AM) View Post

play that game and go to bevelle underground bosses there are really hard its 100 floors of monsters every 20th floor has a boss

Do you realize that you just suggested to not only play X-2 all the way through, but to keep playing it after that! icon_lol.gif

C'mon guys, Crono trigger? I bet if you went back and played it again you'd pound its arse into submission without trying to power level. Admittidly, that and FF 6 are arguably the best games for that console. But
as for the hardest it doesn't even come close. Play 7th saga, Eye of the beholder, might and magic III, or Wizardry V and then say crono trigger is hard. And thats just SNES.

#6 KDillon

KDillon

Senior

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

Do you realize that you just suggested to not only play X-2 all the way through, but to keep playing it after that!

i dont get what ur saying icon_freak.gif im lost

but i have a snes emulator and i just downloaded a chrono trigger ROM and ive been playing it

and its actuall kinda challenging lol.Have you ever played X-2? gleeok

#7 Tseng

Tseng

MMmmmmm Simpsonized

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

OK, This might not fall under regular RPG terms (Its more like an RPG/Adventure/Action game), but I Consider Vagrant Story to be the hardest RPG I have ever played. There are so many factors that can make or break you in this game.

For example, there are three stats for a weapon (excluding strength/power). These are, Type (blunt/slashing/piercing), Affinity (Light/Dark/Wind/Water/ Earth/Fire), and Class (Human/Beast/Phantom/Dragon/Insect/one other one I can't remember). Every piece of armor has the Affinity and Class stats on them as well. each stat can have -100 to 100 points in each sub category (IE. 24 to dragon and 53 to phantom) and each time you attack an enemy the values change depending on the type of enemy. So, in essence, you need a different weapon for each enemy type, otherwise a weapon that will do like 40 damage a hit to a dragon can end up doing 0 to a beast.

And then there is the Risk Factor. As you chain attacks together, your risk goes up. This value translates to [Higher risk = More damage but less accuracy]. This is also true for spells. Not to mention that if you have high risk (50+) enemies can kill you in one hit no problem.

So in essence its a VERY complex game. But one I highly suggest checking out. Its for Playstation (The Original), and you can probobly only find it on Amazon or Ebay, since it is so popular.

#8 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(Adioboy @ May 25 2007, 08:39 AM) View Post

i dont get what ur saying icon_freak.gif im lost.

Sorry but I thought X-2 sucked balls. I don't think I ever finished that one. I have it in my closet somewhere but have no desire to play it. I'll take your word for it though.

That's right, Vagrant story! That game was no walk in the park. This is the ps1 game that crushed most of the other rpg games for that console and ate their remains to further its own twisted design. ;P

I think I must play this game again.

#9 Golden Chocobo

Golden Chocobo

For Hoshido!

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE(Adioboy @ May 25 2007, 05:54 AM) View Post

x__X Goodness, I never finished that game because of that. My characters were really under leveled (25-27 at that time) because there's not enough walking around plains that you do, getting into random battles along the way to level you up. Usually I don't have a problem with that in games. I walk along as the story moves and level up, and I don't usually have to take breaks to go off for a few hours and kill things at random to get a desired level. The only reason why I really wanted X-2 was because I needed to find out what happened to Tidus and Yuna. After giving up on the game, I watched the ending on YouTube. Aah, the internet is a wonderful place =__=;

I also found FFVII to be moderately hard, because of the bosses there. Usually a game has a boss or two that I can just barely handle, but this one had quite a few. Also, go try to play Star Ocean. A lot of the bosses and monsters there are hard too, unless you're at a really really high level. And save points don't replenish health, so you have to rely on items.

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

Star Ocean 2... Uh... The battles are weird! You control one chosen caharacter, you walk across the battle field like in a beat-em-up game and when you press the attack button you charge at a random enemy. The characters that you don't control acts according how you set their tactic in the menu and sometimes they are really weird. Also, sometimes they quickly got owned by a simple enemy. Also, random attacks are VERY frequent. Plus... have you tried to beat the two gargoyle things at the end of the Cross Cave? Not seems possible. Furthermore, if you do certain things, the final boss gets 100 times stronger, literally impossible to be defeated this way... Hard game.

As for Final Fantasy VII... The spider thing of Mt.Nibel is impossible to defeat without leveling up characters very much...

#11 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:34 PM

The star ocean series are my favorite games period. It's the only game I'll rush out to buy and spend 50 bucks on. I have beaten SO 2 on universe mode including trhe cave of trails, and SO3 on 4D mode including cave of trails, sphere 211, and Lenneth. I just hope they get the damn tactics menu fixed in the next one.

#12 Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Master

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

Tales of Symphonia on Mania mode normal can be tough. The game is really hard though at the Tower of Salvation for the 1st time. Can't give details as it would give out spoilers......details here that is.

Remiel is quite annoying on hard mode and beyond with advanced light techs and Judgment Ray which is a 1-Ko or 2-ko at most. Judgment Ray is basically Judgment except the lights of judgment aren't random, they form around the caster which is excellent for boss's attack.

And Kratos 1st is simply one of the toughest fights in the game. Being fast, powerful and casts his spells at lightning speed. This on either difficulty too. You don't have to beat him.

#13 MarioBrosCom

MarioBrosCom

Adept

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:19 PM

Don't level up at all in Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. Survive entirely by luck and strategy... mostly by luck.

#14 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:45 PM

The hardest RPG that I've ever played.. hmm.. lets see.
Truthfully (And this may sound lame of me), the hardest RPG I've ever played was FFV.
In the Moogle Forest where you fight The Crystals, I could never beat them.

#15 Gleeok

Gleeok

• Members

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE(Deathbringer @ May 26 2007, 05:58 PM) View Post

Tales of Symphonia on Mania mode normal can be tough. The game is really hard though at the Tower of Salvation for the 1st time. Can't give details as it would give out spoilers......details here that is.
Remiel is quite annoying on hard mode and beyond with advanced light techs and Judgment Ray which is a 1-Ko or 2-ko at most. Judgment Ray is basically Judgment except the lights of judgment aren't random, they form around the caster which is excellent for boss's attack.

And Kratos 1st is simply one of the toughest fights in the game. Being fast, powerful and casts his spells at lightning speed. This on either difficulty too. You don't have to beat him.

Is this all the same game? Tales of symphonia right. I bought this game for the gamecube a while back, but have yet to play it. That's probably because I thought only the Japan PS2 version had a hard difficulty mode.

Don't level up at all in Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean. Survive entirely by luck and strategy... mostly by luck

Ive never heard of this one. -does some googling.....

Ah! thats two more for the gamecube. I'll have to check these out.Thanks!

Now back to my never ending quest to try and get wizardry4 to work so I can plat it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users