Photo

SOTW Comments?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Your Vote? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Vote?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:44 PM

Ok, I'm going to leave it up to the public to decide the future of SOTW. You can choose to continue with comments or without. However, if we continue with comments, I will no longer be disallowing certain comments. If someone simply comments "That shot sucks." it will be acceptable. It will be between the creater and the commenter to settle it outside of SOTW... (PM, IM, Chat, etc). Any complaints about horrible comments will be ignored. This poll will run through next week. I may delay SOTW 63 until after this poll closes. I don't have any submissions right now anyway. If you have any questions, you can ask me here or by PM. Thanks.

#2 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:54 PM

I'ld say give the people another chance. If they act the same, take it away, and take it away for a while. :/

#3 a guy and his game

a guy and his game

Wizard

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:59 PM

I actually thought it was better without comments this week. I say leave them off. Why I like it that way? I'm not quite sure.

#4 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:00 PM

I already asked in chat... but to put stress on it for others who might do the same...

Did you read the thread, LTM? icon_eyebrow.gif

QUOTE(Praethus)
However, if we continue with comments, I will no longer be disallowing certain comments. If someone simply comments "That shot sucks." it will be acceptable. It will be between the creater and the commenter to settle it outside of SOTW... (PM, IM, Chat, etc). Any complaints about horrible comments will be ignored.

#5 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:01 PM

I dont know what happened but I am happy that Ccc won the SOTW, I know that people can say preatty nasty things about your SOTW so I am going to go with let us have comments because that is how we determine who we want to win besides the yes and no poll. icon_razz.gif

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:08 PM

Well damn, I'm just not reading any topics today. icon_razz.gif
Then, I change my opinion to no. I'm sorry, but I don't want a ruleless SOTW. :/

#7 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:33 PM

I don't think comments are a good idea. people seem to stray away from the topic, or repeat themselves when commenting

#8 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:41 PM

Well I bet everyone knows already how I feel: Poll only.

Like LTM, I don't want a ruleless SOTW. The one with rules was bad enough, so I wonder what would happen without any rules...

Hats off to Praethus for making this poll!

#9 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

Do it with comments. Essentially, if you allow comments but disengage all these rules, people have the right to say whatever they want about any submission. And to be honest, there are plenty of submissions that I just don't feel like saying anything about. Essentially, letting them say whatever they want will probably be encouraging them to say nothing to begin with. So everyone who's complaining about "bad comments" will have nothing left to complain about.

I've submitted shots to SotW before that people thought were crap. Personally, I would have felt patronized if they tried to "help me improve" my crappy shots.

#10 Ccc

Ccc

Adept

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:28 PM

There should be comments. People shouldn't be afraid of criticism. And they don't have to read what people say, if they don't like it, don't read it.

#11 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:57 PM

I don't know. At this point I'm going to let other people decide. I'm afraid making fancy screens is becoming counterproductive to making a good quest. It takes too long to make a winning entry.

EDIT: I've changed my mind. I say no comments. If comments are only to be allowed without rules, then I won't likely enter much anymore. So I'd prefer the one that I'd enter frequently. I can go to the PZC IRC channel, my own forum, ZCU, or individual friends for feedback.

Edited by Radien, 05 August 2004 - 11:23 PM.

#12 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE(Ccc @ Aug 5 2004, 05:28 PM)
There should be comments. People shouldn't be afraid of criticism. And they don't have to read what people say, if they don't like it, don't read it.

But, you see, that's the problem. It doesn't matter whether or not people shouldn't be afraid of criticism. But, face it, people are. They read it, then they get upset. I would like to see a SOTW with comments, it's just that since people take offense by the criticism that I don't want one right now. icon_shrug.gif

#13 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:44 AM

Hmm... I can't decide. While I do like criticism on my shots to make it better... all I get is "your shot is good" most of the time, and I've just accepted the fact my shots are well made and I will now enter to win... at least once. I haven't won yet, but I came close a few SOTW's ago.

But there are people who want it and those who don't, and my vote stays as a null since it really doesn't matter to me. icon_shrug.gif

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:39 AM

Crap, it's tied now! Hmm... Will it matter to Praethus one way or the other if it's really close?

Poly:

I'm sorry; I'm one of those people. icon_frown.gif Although I'm usually a bit more complimentary about it, especially since the demo. Your quest looks great in action, and good in screenshots. Thus is the fate of a quest with small-but-detailed sprites and great animations, I guess. icon_shrug.gif

#15 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:11 PM

The main benefit of comments seems to be to help the person improve their screen. Back when SOTW started, we didn't have ZQuest design help. We do now. I believe that commenting on screens in SOTW isn't really that necessary anymore.

If you're submitting to SOTW to get your shot critiqued, it's probably a better idea to go to Design Help. We don't tolerate any unfriendliness there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users