Photo

Screenshot of the Week 146

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 146 (58 member(s) have cast votes)

4 choices this week.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Animus01

Animus01

Spirit Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

Time to do my mini-review of the screenshots. icon_smile.gif

Sharon Daniel - Another nice cave shot (I remember you used the floor tiles for the last SotW)! I dunno why, though, but it's a little less appealing than the Goron Bomb Shop one.
Revfan9 - oooooooooooooookay! What can I say? It's a classic forest shot! Not really much going on, though. A few creatures or something would work.
Link75 - I like that winter shot! icon_thumbsup.gif The colored trees kinda bug me, though. But hey, it shouldn't be too wintery. icon_heh.gif A few people sprites would be nice. In fact, if you did add people sprites to the shot (like a kid ice-skating or someone building a snowman) it would've been more attractive.
Linkus Mastii - Pretty much the same as Link75's with the lack of people sprites. I really LOVE how the castle looks! Beautiful shot!

It was a close match, IMO. But I will vote for Linkus Mastii only on the account that he used custom tiles that I haven't seen before. I would've voted for Link75, if he added some people sprites for the winter scene. Without them, though, the pic is just too empty. Sharon Daniel's pic is nice, but I'd like to see something aside from cave scenes. Revfan9, the pic is nice, but there's nothing really to look at in the pic.

A bit of a shame that 3 out of 4 of the screenshots suffered the same flaw: lack of people or creature sprites.

#17 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Nov 21 2006, 12:25 PM) View Post

I understand what you're saying. Maybe I'm biased, but I just don't think Linkus' screen is all that great. I'm not exactly in love with my own shot either, but I do like it more. Meh.

Seriously? You cannot even compare the two. 0_o ; His shot is just amazing... Well, I voted for him also...

Revfan9:
Do you always got to abuse a screenshot you make, untill people just hate it? I'm sick of looking at this shot. It isn't even good, its alright. Nothing great. I'm sure the only 1 vote was from you.

Link75: It is an good screenshot, but the colors, on a snowy days just ruin it. Nice job though. icon_smile.gif

#18 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:40 PM

I only posted that screen once, in the screenshot thread, and I said immediatly afterwards "I'm submitting to SotW". And Billy Ronald voted for me, look at his post. I voted for Linkus.

#19 Lemon

Lemon

Legend

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:52 PM

Sharon Daniel eaisly. Perhaps its because I tried making a sprite of that guy 2 years ago by just drawing by looking at the Playstation version of Origins and failed... horribly. But out of the screens presented he has the nicest color/layout, as well as the fact that there is actually something happening on the screen! I mean Linkus has nice graphics... but its boring... Before you make more overworld Graphic you should work on making a subscreen and player tiles... would make all your shots look a lot nicer. Rev-Fans just kinda looks like something thrown together in 5-10 minutes, and Links just kinda seems a bit overwhelming. If it had some enemies though it would be a lot better.

#20 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 03:57 PM

Sharon Daniel eaisly. Perhaps its because I tried making a sprite of that guy 2 years ago by just drawing by looking at the Playstation version of Origins and failed... horribly.

S.Daniel didn't make those tiles. They are in the database.

http://www.purezc.co...ge=tiles&id=122

Revfan9:

1. Yeah, I just lazily took shots in the editor and cropped them.

2. The second screen looks like it is in a sandstorm because it is.

IPB Image

Out of my sheerest of boredom, and I have also updated the above shots to have the shadows and the treetops as well. I've entered it in SotW. I know I am gonna get PWNT to death, but whatever...

Yes it is, but I thought it was the project? Anyway....

I just learned how to use the GIMP to put screens together to make maps and the such. So I made this all quick-like: (above screen and the other screen with shadows and treetops)

IPB Image

Wrong. Once agian... icon_sweat.gif

Edited by /M/, 21 November 2006 - 04:04 PM.

#21 Blue Link 2007

Blue Link 2007

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:47 PM

With all these nice shots, I'm afraid to submit one because I will lose...

Anyways, here is what I have to say about the shots

Sharon Daniel: Great concept of using the warrior from DOS. Good picture.

Revfan9: I see a good forest scene here. Personally (I think I spelled that right), I thought you could mabey of put some of those vines in there.

Link75: Nice winter pic. Although I am usually obsessive with colors in shots of the week, I thought the different colored trees didn't make the scene look good.

Linkus Mastii: Nice work on the custom castle scene thingy. Looks nice and pretty classy.

They are all nice pictures. I can't decide who to vote for yet. I might come back later.

#22 Revfan9

Revfan9

Hero of Time

• Banned

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE(/M/ @ Nov 21 2006, 03:57 PM) View Post

http://www.purezc.co...ge=tiles&id=122
Revfan9:
Wrong. Once agian... icon_sweat.gif

My mistake. My sincerest apologies.

#23 Mr. Pimpy

Mr. Pimpy

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:35 PM

Linkus'. They're pretty damn good. icon_smile.gif

#24 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Actually, I didn't use SwordofSeals' tiles. His were made in Pure's palette and were greatly reduced in color. I ripped those tiles directly from Dawn of Souls. I also edited them for BS Animation, Swimming, Stabbing, and Slashing. The tile you see in my screenshot is an edit I made, because there is no stabbing animation in the actual game.

Here's my rip/edit compared to the one in the database:
IPB Image

#25 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:32 PM

Wow, such a big difference. They look exactly the same. Your is just darker, and has more shading. Why did you show the shield verision of SoS, when he's got a shield-less one also? To make yours look more unique?

And, there is no way I can believe you ripped it or not, since this is the internet, you cannot trust anyone, and they look the same. 0_o But, why does it matter if I do anyways? icon_rolleyes.gif

#26 Sharon Daniel

Sharon Daniel

• Banned

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

Aye, the only difference is the shading and some slight outline differences in the hair. That's because mine is ripped directly from the game and SoS's is hand-drawn in Pure Link's cset.

#27 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:21 PM

I wasn't planning on entering this week. The only reason I did was because Hero Link didn't have enough and I think screenshot of the week is fun. I didn't really have time do do anything so I just took something that was already ready. I see if I can try something new for next time. icon_smile.gif

About my shot, in my computer class we had to make a calendar with a theme to it, so I used Zelda Classic and made one for every month. This one was for December. The reason the trees are colored is because it was supposed to look kind of holiday-ish. January and February were normal winter shots though. So... that should explain it. icon_wink.gif

QUOTE(Animus01 @ Nov 21 2006, 11:03 AM) View Post

I like that winter shot! icon_thumbsup.gif The colored trees kinda bug me, though. But hey, it shouldn't be too wintery. icon_heh.gif A few people sprites would be nice. In fact, if you did add people sprites to the shot (like a kid ice-skating or someone building a snowman) it would've been more attractive.

Yeah, that would have been a great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of it.

QUOTE(/M/ @ Nov 21 2006, 12:54 PM) View Post

It is an good screenshot, but the colors, on a snowy days just ruin it. Nice job though. icon_smile.gif

QUOTE(Blue Link 2007 @ Nov 21 2006, 04:47 PM) View Post

Nice winter pic. Although I am usually obsessive with colors in shots of the week, I thought the different colored trees didn't make the scene look good.

I know what you mean. I should have used a better caption to explain it.

#28 mikepjr

mikepjr

• Members

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(Sharon Daniel @ Nov 21 2006, 07:27 PM) View Post

Actually, I didn't use SwordofSeals' tiles. His were made in Pure's palette and were greatly reduced in color. I ripped those tiles directly from Dawn of Souls. I also edited them for BS Animation, Swimming, Stabbing, and Slashing. The tile you see in my screenshot is an edit I made, because there is no stabbing animation in the actual game.

Here's my rip/edit compared to the one in the database:
IPB Image

Good job Sharon! icon_smile.gif

Lol, i have both the PS1 version and GBA version, Sharon's looks like the PS1 version while that other one looks like it was from the GBA, i know cause i compared myself, i have an emulator for PS1 and i played it that way, then i have a GBA ROM of the GBA version i played and compared.

M, why not play the GBA version and the PS1 version and look for yourself?

Linkus, your screen shot has graphics that although may be Custom, actually look familure.... like a Enix game i played once on the SNES. Im not saying thats a bad thing. Looks good, i just wish more was going on in that screen shot.

#29 Linkus

Linkus

• Members

Posted 22 November 2006 - 04:04 PM

If anyone wants to know, my shot was made just to be filler so that SOTW world carry on. Also, the palette has seven shades of each color. icon_razz.gif But I'm going to try to reduce it to four by using SD3 style shading, where one color has four shades fading into the "shadow colors", which was two shades of purplish blue and one black.

QUOTE(mikepjr @ Nov 22 2006, 08:48 AM) View Post

Linkus, your screen shot has graphics that although may be Custom, actually look familure.... like a Enix game i played once on the SNES. Im not saying thats a bad thing. Looks good, i just wish more was going on in that screen shot.

Really? O_O I didn't think I had progressed that far. However, I don't have that huge a skill; making large freestyle objects can be a pain in ZC(although I do have enough experience with Idraw3... I need to work in that program more) and I have a habit of thinking that everything has to be "pixel perfect", which means unnecessary shading and texturing for tiles.

On a side note, I found that the "Ruins of Light" tiles work unusually well with the ZC 2.11 template palette, especially Cset 7...O_o

#30 mikepjr

mikepjr

• Members

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:25 PM

Yes, actually it looks like Dragon Quest graphics from the SNES.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users