Forums are back!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:05 PM

It took over four days, but our forums are finally back. An insecure password in a moderator account allowed one to attain moderational access and prune all of the forums. The backup that we have restored is from Monday, May 17 (aged one day at the time of the attack). Some member accounts were lost; if you were deleted, please re-register.

Due to this, BH4 has been demoted. In addition, all current moderators will be required to submit their passwords to me so that I can ensure that they are adequately secure. I am sorry if this seems like an invasion of privacy, but everybody should use a different password for PureZC anyway.

Enjoy the forums.

#2 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:23 PM

Yay, I have been waiting forever!

#3 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:25 PM

I said this in the other topic, but everyone, WELCOME BACK TO PUREZC!!!111one

I'm definitely changing my password. I've used this on other sites, and I know that's a bad idea. :\ This is the last straw, I'm changing my pass.

Thanks for getting this back up so quickly. icon_thumbsup.gif I know some places where it'd take weeks to get it back up. icon_razz.gif

#4 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 12:36 AM

Um, yay? icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif

I have changed my password as well. icon_smile.gif I am really glad the forums are back... oh... I need to obtain something from my forum now!

#5 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(Wild Bill @ May 21 2004, 11:05 PM)
Due to this, BH4 has been demoted.

Everyone please remember that this is not some sort of revenge or something. Though he said he was leaving (I hope he doesn't), he'll still be a friend to all of us if he were to come back.Just that when the forums' security is threatened... :\

#6 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:13 AM

DO you think it would be a good Idea to change our pass?

#7 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:42 AM

Well, you're not a moderator... so if you were hacked the most your account would do is spam the place. So, changing your password is not necessary. But if you want to, go ahead.

My Controls -> Change Password (Very bottom).

#8 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:43 AM

Depends. If you have a rather weak password, or use the pass on other sites, it'd be a good idea, definitely. However, it's up to you. It's always a good idea to pick a pass that you can remember but that other's can't guess easily.

For more information on secure vs. weak passwords, read this AGN topic posted by WB himself: http://www.armageddo...ead.php?t=80366

EDIT: PolygonX8 beat me to posting. icon_neutral.gif

Edited by Ben, 22 May 2004 - 10:43 AM.

#9 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:31 AM

Horray the forums are back. icon_biggrin.gif Great job WB and Matt.

#10 jman2050

jman2050

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 02:43 PM

Does this apply to quest moderators too? It's not like we have any real power over the forums anyway.

#11 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

Hmm... it might. Well, the only thing that would become really screwed is your own quest forum.

#12 Stungun

Stungun

Warrior of Light

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:37 PM

and quest forums are the person's own responsibility. If the topics are wiped from there it's thier problem.

#13 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE(Wild Bill @ May 21 2004, 11:05 PM)
Due to this, BH4 has been demoted.

Everyone please remember that this is not some sort of revenge or something. Though he said he was leaving (I hope he doesn't), he'll still be a friend to all of us if he were to come back.Just that when the forums' security is threatened...

Thank you Happyman. icon_smile.gif I consider you to be a good friend too. icon_smile.gif

I was about to leave, because I couldn't get my password to work at all, (3 Guesses why.) and Wild Bill was nice enough to take the time and trouble (Considering his modem speed, something a few of us are no strangers to.) to reset it to something else. Quite nice of him.

And yes, I might be leaving. But your definition of leaving may be different from mine. It might not be. Because considering the fact that I have considerably less responsibility here now, I have fewer ties to the site. I'm sure you didn't intend for this to happen, but we can't change the past, now can we?

Additionally, I've grown to realize in this lapse of activity that there are other places which perform the same function as the great Pure. I'm not sure if this was a coincidence, or... some grand puzzle created by God. ... It's all really awkward, really. icon_redface.gif Times Change. This is new. I like new things.

So I'm sorry for stealing the thread, .. if that is indeed what I am doing. There is just so much to think about, really. None of you can really identify with me on this, so you will be lost through out another of my big stupid and pointless speeches that I make when something happens. You'll just have to take my word for it. :\

* Puts hands in Pockets *

So while there are many things that I understand, and you probably don't know it, there are also many more things which I will probably never be able to understand, considering the circumstances, and the circumstances surrounding those.

For example, am I really that incompetant and undevoted that while one crack has been caulked, (Along with everyone else's.) that ... Actually, I had better not even ask. Nothing good could come of it. Come to think about it, I'm even afraid to ask, now. I'm afraid to come back. Sure, mistakes have been made. And sure, I was raised in an environment where internet hacking didn't exist, but my password is now secure, yet my member-member relations has never been higher, in terms of past duties. If you think that makes sense to you, I've probably merely skipped something crucial, which is why I'm afraid to speak now. There's only so much proof that you can show a person before he or she cracks. Ever now, I can just imagine plith or Matt posting a few minutes from now saying something representative of "And stay out." It's not difficult for me at this stage.

I'm sorry if I've managed to go from 'happy' to paranoid. This is the life that god has chosen for me. There's really only so much that I can do about that. :\ You know how that is.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this crap. You can forget about it all now. It still means a lot to me, but you don't have to care. You'll see that soon enough.

EDIT: .. Oh, and all of this editing I'm doing in my posts now, .. just ignore that. It's nothing. icon_sigh.gif

Edited by BH4, 22 May 2004 - 10:08 PM.

#14 a guy and his game

a guy and his game

Wizard

• Members

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:38 PM

Please don't leave BH4! You know you have a lot of friends here and even if you aren't a Moderator anymore, you can still enjoy the forums! It won't be the same without your great tiles and your uplifting comments...Even if i couldn't comprehend some of the things in your post, it still sounded like part of a farewell speech... I'm sure a lot of other people would hate it if you left too. So please... at least hang around even if you don't post as much...

(It also won't be as fun without your intricate and logical debates in GD)

#15 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 23 May 2004 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE(jman2050 @ May 22 2004, 02:43 PM)
Does this apply to quest moderators too? It's not like we have any real power over the forums anyway.

If you want to protect the contents of your forum, have a secure password. I don't know WB's standpoint... if he will restore any topics you lose to an insecure password or not.

However, I'm pretty sure WB doesn't require you to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users