Remote URL avatars disabled

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 02 December 2003 - 07:37 PM

I've removed the field that allows you to specify a URL as an avatar. Why? I've seen several avatars that are WAY over the limit of 20 KB. The limit is not there simply to reduce space usage on PureZC, but also to keep the topics reasonable to load for people on slower connections.

Also, when remote servers go down, become slow, or delete/modify an image, it can become a problem. This change will stop that as well.

#2 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE(Wild Bill @ Dec 2 2003, 06:37 PM)
Also, when remote servers go down, become slow, or delete/modify an image, it can become a problem. This change will stop that as well.

What does that mean? I never use teh URL to use an avatar, so that wont matter to me, but what does that second part mean, I don't get it. Or is it nothing realy to want to understand?

#3 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:24 PM

It sounds like you definitely have your reasons. Though, this doesn't affect me at all.

#4 Matt

Matt

Come on!

• Members

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Sparkrulean @ Dec 2 2003, 10:09 PM)
What does that mean? I never use teh URL to use an avatar, so that wont matter to me, but what does that second part mean, I don't get it. Or is it nothing realy to want to understand?

Sparkrulean, your avatar is currently located here: "http://img.villageph...68148/1av1.jpg"

That means that this does matter to you. Wild Bill means that if someone is using a remotely linked avatar on these forums, and something happens to the server the image is on, then it will affect PureZC. If the avatar's server goes down, then we are treated with a "broken" image here. If the server is transferring data slowly, then it may affect the load times of the pages here, because that image will have to load from the server. If someone uses an image from a server as their avatar, and someone else replaces that image with an offensive or profane image, then that new image will be displayed all across PureZC.

#5 DToE

DToE

I need a good Vincent Valentine Avatar

• Members

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:52 PM

Well, I guess this is fine. it really doesn't effect me most of the time. We should all be able to deal with it.

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:14 AM

That's happened to me sometimes. I've had to wait 5 minutes just for images to load. icon_confused.gif So, I'm with this change. icon_biggrin.gif

#7 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 07:45 AM

Um.. I.. guess, so. icon_shrug.gif This may become rather difficult sometimes. On occasion, I've had to remote Link my (15K) avatars since I couldn't upload them at all. icon_shrug.gif Well, we'll see what happens.

But if it helps you, by all means.

#8 theplustwo

theplustwo

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:11 AM

I did see a mod for IPB once that let you set a delay so that if a remote avatar server didn't respond after a certain time, no avatar would be displayed (thus no red 'x' either). icon_shrug.gif I don't really see how that would help though, because people can still have slow/broken images in their signatures. If somebody thinks avatars or signatures are loading too slow, they can disable them in their CP. That's my thoughts on the matter, at any rate, but of course, it's your site. icon_wink.gif

Edited by theplustwo, 03 December 2003 - 10:14 AM.

#9 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 03 December 2003 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE(theplustwo @ Dec 3 2003, 09:11 AM)
I don't really see how that would help though, because people can still have slow/broken images in their signatures. If somebody thinks avatars or signatures are loading too slow, they can disable them in their CP. That's my thoughts on the matter, at any rate, but of course, it's your site. icon_wink.gif

Well, even if you disable avatars and signatures, the avatars are still shown in the profile. icon_razz.gif But every little bit helps. Even if there can still be big stuff in signatures, having the URL avatars disabled cuts down on the number of places that people have to display large images.

#10 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(Matt @ Dec 2 2003, 09:25 PM)
Sparkrulean, your avatar is currently located here: "http://img.villageph...68148/1av1.jpg"

That means that this does matter to you.  Wild Bill means that if someone is using a remotely linked avatar on these forums, and something happens to the server the image is on, then it will affect PureZC.  If the avatar's server goes down, then we are treated with a "broken" image here.  If the server is transferring data slowly, then it may affect the load times of the pages here, because that image will have to load from the server.  If someone uses an image from a server as their avatar, and someone else replaces that image with an offensive or profane image, then that new image will be displayed all across PureZC.

What? I always Upload my AVs, oh... wait! I remember! Teilyr made me an assclown so i throught that on real quick, Now I remember! So.. I guess this will affect the one I have on right now, but how do you know that? I thought only admins and site staff had acess to the ACP, and thats the only way to mess with someones avatar (as far as I know) but mabey admins can view it?

#11 Matt

Matt

Come on!

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE(Sparkrulean @ Dec 3 2003, 04:34 PM)
I thought only admins and site staff had acess to the ACP, and thats the only way to mess with someones avatar (as far as I know) but mabey admins can view it?

Yes, admins have access to the Administration Control Panel.

#12 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(Matt @ Dec 3 2003, 05:22 PM)
Yes, admins have access to the Administration Control Panel.

Um... you aren't an admin, you a Moderator...

#13 Matt

Matt

Come on!

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE(Sparkrulean @ Dec 3 2003, 09:22 PM)
Um... you aren't an admin, you a Moderator...

I am aware of that. That is why I did not claim to be an administrator. Perhaps you should read what I quoted in my previous post.

#14 Sparkrulean

Sparkrulean

Paladin

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE(Matt @ Dec 3 2003, 08:26 PM)
I am aware of that.  That is why I did not claim to be an administrator.  Perhaps you should read what I quoted in my previous post.

Then how did you know where my avatar was located?

#15 Matt

Matt

Come on!

• Members

Posted 03 December 2003 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Sparkrulean @ Dec 3 2003, 09:52 PM)
Then how did you know where my avatar was located?

How about this:

In order for my web browser to load the image (your avatar), and display it in my browser window, it must know where your avatar is located. Because my browser must obtain the information concerning the location of your avatar, it is able to provide that information when I request it. I'm quite sure even the lowest of browsers (i.e. IE, har har) can perform that simple task.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users