Additional grammar rule

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:27 PM

Aha, I liked shorthand my typing stinks.
Aha well...
*Linkman grabs pickit sign*
J/k
I am typing perfect.
oops Dek forgot to log out

Edited by Dekadx2, 13 February 2004 - 01:29 PM.

#32 Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Cecil Harvey - Paladin

• Members

Posted 21 February 2004 - 02:03 AM

(Read this whole post first!!)

7h15 15 why 1 4lw4y5 pr0v1d3 7R4N5L4710N5 wh3n 1 5p34k 1n l337. >_<

Translation: This is why I always provide TRANSLATIONS when I speak in leet. >_<

It amazes me at how people seem to think that they can just type in shorthand all the time and believe that everyone will understand them! If you're going to speak in l337, tell everyone else WHAT you are saying, THANK YOU.

(If you mods want me to remove my "l337 speak" then I shall gladly do so.)

#33 Deviance

Deviance

Le' Deviant

• Banned

Posted 26 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

Too bad you can't kick them on the forums icon_razz.gif.

#34 Reverse-a-Link

Reverse-a-Link

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 27 March 2004 - 09:33 PM

Thank you so much Wild Bill, for laying down this simply wonderful rule! I absolutely hated the gobbledegook (yes, I spelled it right) messages on the internet. I can't stand it when others use it, so I'll be sure not to use it myself.

#35 Dorian n0

Dorian n0

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:28 AM

icon_razz.gif Thanks Wild Bill , I have some problems to understand all these forums ... I'm a French but it don't mean I don't send some messages icon_biggrin.gif

#36 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE(Dorian n0 @ Jul 18 2004, 01:28 AM)
icon_razz.gif Thanks Will Bill , I have some problems to understand all these forums ... I'm a French but it don't mean I don't send some messages  icon_biggrin.gif

*smiles* Good luck, man. It's true, we have several people who are not native English-speakers. It's good to think of them too.

#37 TheSynGame

TheSynGame

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 02:15 PM

I think this ruling is silly I mean I will admit that I use "u" alot but its something I've been doing online for like 8 years now. My grammar is perfect but half the time online its like people can uderstand what I'm saying regardless.

Like I said this ruling is just plain silly.

#38 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

Oh, quite the contrary, good sir. While it is awknowledged that your post there is quite comprehensible, have you considered the positive reasons for not posting with instances of shorthand?

I find that I have a general trend to "favor" those who do not use shorthand, as they make it known about themselves that they take the time to type out what they want to say. They don't take needless shortcuts. Unless you type really slowly, and want to type slightly quicker for your reader's sake, I wouldn't recommend shortening short words. It's just pointless. icon_razz.gif

#39 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

omg thnx wb tat is teh good rule 4 evr1 2 falow omg wtf lol bbq.

...I could have sworn I already replied to this topic with a similar post...

#40 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

A reason for writing things out is that there are people who will refuse to read shorthand, like me, because it gets annoying. Typing things out just makes me think that the person typing wants their post or topic read, as where I think that if someone writes shorthand, they don't care who reads it.

#41 TheSynGame

TheSynGame

Recipient of Ways

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 05:42 PM

This is the only board that people actually get annoyed at that. I haven't been to a board that cares that much about grammar. If I reply to something I use shorthand. I rarely make threads so it really doesn't matter to me.

But regardless of that. You really can't force someone to do that type of ****. It's a preference not an obligation.

Staff edit: We have censors for a reason. Do not evade them.

#42 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 05:50 PM

Honestly, unless you're playing some sort of online game and you have to type anything you want to say in a flash to get back to playing, there is no reason you can't spend half a second more to type the entire word. If you can't spend THAT amount of extra time on your posts, wow.

#43 Matt

Matt

Come on!

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(TheSynGame @ Jul 30 2004, 05:42 PM)
This is the only board that people actually get annoyed at that. I haven't been to a board that cares that much about grammar. If I reply to something I use shorthand. I rarely make threads so it really doesn't matter to me.

But regardless of that. You really can't force someone to do that type of ****. It's a preference not an obligation.

This is most certainly not the first message board to impose grammar and spelling rules. Here's an example: Television Without Pity. In fact, their rules are much more strict than PureZC's in many instances. A quick look at their forum index should indicate how incredibly popular the site is, despite the aforementioned rules.

#44 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 30 July 2004 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(Happyman @ Jul 30 2004, 04:50 PM)
If you can't spend THAT amount of extra time on your posts, wow.

And if you can't spend the aforementioned amount of extra time on your posts, we can't spend that amount of time bothering to read them.

#45 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 30 July 2004 - 11:02 PM

In a forum setting, writing in shorthand doesn't save any time at all anyway, unless you take a large amount of time learning to use it. For me, I have to actually think while typing if I want to type "c u l8er." *cringes at having typed that...*

Besides, English has standard shorthand, too. Things like description -> "descrip," University -> "Uni," omitting unnecessary words, etc. (etc. itself being shorthand). Chances are the moderators won't even consciously notice these.

But they WILL notice "omg wut r u doin? tat relly SUX i mean wtf!"

...bbq.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users