ATTENTION SCRIPT REQUESTERS

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:39 PM

I'm a little put off by the fact that the second Joe123 gets overwhelmed by all the scripting requests that everyone starts turning to me. It takes time and effort to script, not to mention that WE HAVE LIVES and other things we want to do. Don't expect to get your script the next day. It takes us time to script, and at least for me it takes the right motivation and gumption to script which may not come to me for up to weeks.

Just realize that we script as a service, often for our own pleasure and satisfaction. If you request a script every other week, it may just be a better idea to either not use scripts or teach yourself.

I'm sure I'm speaking for the other scripters here, too.

Bottom Line: we are not slaves; we have lives and our own projects.

#2 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

Respect++.

This explains why Zeminous came to me the other day in a PM and asked me to script for him. Everyone else must have turned him down.

NOT cool, Zem. icon_disgust.gif

But yeah, the thing you and Joe are going through is the same reason I left the Super Mario World ROM hacking community. People came to expect too much of me.

#3 sigtau

sigtau

*sip*

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 19 2008, 04:01 PM) View Post

Respect++.

This explains why Zeminous came to me the other day in a PM and asked me to script for him. Everyone else must have turned him down.

But yeah, the thing you and Joe are going through is the same reason I left the Super Mario World ROM hacking community. People came to expect too much of me.

I wonder why? You're a good questmaker, and probably a good ROM hacker. People, even though I haven't, if you want to know scripting, if you need a script, etc. then you should LEARN HOW YOURSELF.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

Heheh... I'll ask for my scripts when I need 'em. Makes me wish I could learn how to script so it'd be less of a burden on you guys... but I'm too stupid D:

#5 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(TheMasterSwordsman @ Jul 19 2008, 01:24 PM) View Post
I wonder why? You're a good questmaker, and probably a good ROM hacker. People, even though I haven't, if you want to know scripting, if you need a script, etc. then you should LEARN HOW YOURSELF.

Exactly. I learned Assembly scripting by myself in Rom hacking (well, SNES assembly at least; NES is different), and once I had my first insertable custom enemy finished, countless noobs flooded my PM Inbox asking "lolzer can u mak me a custum b0ss taht sh00ts fier an djumpz arownd and taeks 50 jumpz 2 kill plz plz lolol ill b ur best frend", and that was on a GOOD day. While the level of noobiness on PZC isn't even close to how it was over there, the whole taking-advantage-of-people's-kindness aspect is the same, and THAT'S what's gotta stop.

There should even be a rule about that in the scripting forum. Maybe we should take this to the Propositions Forum... icon_ohmy.gif

#6 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

Uhm... if you don't wanna do it, don't say you do. When people post a script request, NO ONE says you HAVE to make it.
Same with PM's... it's PERFECTLY fine saying "Nope, I simply don't wanna do it right now" or "I'm tired... can this wait" or even "Sigh, I don't wanna make this for you!".
I'm sure people aren't expecting you to take upon the task when they ask you... they're HOPING for it, but probably not expecting that you'll say yes.
So I agree, but hey, it's okay to ask, isn't it?

#7 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:40 PM

icon_thumbsup.gif

I'm against anything that's gonna take me more than about half an hour and has no personal benefit.

#8 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

What about Epona?

#9 ZebraStallion

ZebraStallion

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jul 19 2008, 08:50 PM) View Post

What about Epona?

Oops, my bad. icon_heh.gif Actually, it was just a request. Joe's the one who took the request. It's not my fault for requesting it. icon_rolleyes.gif

#10 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

He gets personal benefit from his Epona script; he actually used it in his quest.

Some of why I scripted what I scripted:
Rolling- it looked possible, I was bored, popularity, Thought it'd fit well in my quest.
Ledges- I didn't want the player to go ALL THE WAY AROUND the dungeon to get through a door.
R-to-defend- I thought it'd be cool. Thought it'd add some strategy or something to my quest. I mean what if you don't want your shield out?

Generally, we script for our own personal satisfaction and benefit. We'll take occasional requests, but usually only if it benefits us as well. F'rinstance, I'm considering helping Zemious with his final boss mostly for the mention in the credits.

#11 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:18 PM

i request things a little too often... lol

so ill make a formal apology to all of purezc's scripters now.

im really sorry i took up so much of your time and took advantage of you guys =)

next time i request a script, ill think about making it myself before asking.

that being said, you guys are great at what you do. some scripts are gonna be difficult for me to write on my own, in which case, i will ask for help. thanks for all you guys do for us n00bs icon_wink.gif

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:54 PM

If I ever gave a script request overload, I'm sorry. I don't think i ever have (because I know some scripting, and am too ashamed to say I need help, icon_wink.gif), but if I have, I'm sorry.

#13 Zemious

Zemious

Magicite: Bahamut

• Members

Posted 20 July 2008 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(Schwa @ Jul 19 2008, 04:01 PM) View Post

Respect++.

Honestly?

I do a lot for the community, I sprite for people just like you guys script.
I'm not saying that you or anyone owes anything to me but I feel its a give and recieve process.

There aren't a lot of people here who script actively anymore so I turned to AGN, thats where I met Beefster.

#14 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

Epona started off as a 30 minute job, and then I got carried away.
Originally it was just an LTM and something to make Link move faster, then I decided it'd be fun to make it 32x32, etc. etc.

Most of your requests are ok MM cause they're not too much effort.

And if you want help with scripting Russ, the chances are you'll get them written for you =P
I mean, we are working on the same game here =P

EDIT:
Your avatar is really cool by the way Beefster =P

Edited by Joe123, 20 July 2008 - 04:30 AM.

#15 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, not cool, guys. There should be no such thing as an "urgent" script request. Perhaps I should make a pinned topic stating it as such.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users