Photo

Strings Change Tiles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

This one may sound like an odd one, but I need a script that, depending on the number, displays a certain tile.
Example: Rather than having to set up about a million screens for a conversation using portraits or faces, I would liek to have a script handle changing the face tile depending on the string number.

Thanks if you can help! icon_biggrin.gif

#2 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

or you could just go a strp farther and ask a string to draw a combo. just saying...

#3 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

You do not 'ask a string'.

#4 Xiion

Xiion

Senior

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

What you could do, is setup all your faces in your tile sheet, then, whenever a script displays a string, just have a drawtile function right before it to show the face you want. You'd probably have to script all your conversations, but I can't think of any other way that avoids using a lot of screens.

#5 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

It's not a major component in my quest, so if it's too much hassle for such a small effect, I can easily skip it. I was mainly concerned as to whether or not it was possible, and if it was, to make use of it.

#6 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

It's certainly possible. I've created a script to make it display the speaker in a conversation.

However, it requires a counter to keep up with the speaker, a dummy item for when the string is displayed, and a long list of combos for each speaker. You'll also have to use string formatting to modify everything.

So yeah, it's possible, but it can be a pain.

#7 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:11 PM

That doesn't seem so bad. I mean, I'm doing highlighted text for item descriptions, and there's a whole ton of those, and it hasn't driven me insanse...yet. icon_razz.gif

Edited by blaman, 07 July 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#8 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

Well, I'll have to ask, but I'll see if I can release the code.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users