Photo

Map of the Month 39

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 39 (49 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

April is here. Map of the Month 39 is here. Let's do that thing.
 [/hr]
Lord Settra!
BEFORE and AFTER Link destroyed the illegal dam of the hylialake

makarthekorok
to the forest

Hubydweyer
Stipend Village

Scootaloo
I really, really like cats ~TS

klop422
The Item Kingdom.

Cast your vote for one of these five fine competitors in the next 30 days. Good luck to them all!

#2 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I voted for newbydude this month. I think I know who voted for Scootaloo. icon_biggrin.gif

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:02 AM

So it came down between Scootaloo and Settra... and holy crap was that a hard decision. They're both incredible. After about five minutes of debating though, I went with Settra. While Scootaloo's is really nice as a whole, certain parts almost feel like they're over-detailed, whereas Settra's is very clean throughout, probably the best example of Less is More I've ever seen. And although it didn't factor in to my voting, he gets bonus points for the sheer amount of effort that had to go into making that area actually work.

#4 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Interestingly enough, I think Settra's should've been a bit more detailed in terms of ground (adding grass detail and maybe some more puddles in the dried up river) and then it would've wrecked the competition. Also ughasckghlblk .jpginess

Huby's is okay, but it feels really messy and cluttered. I'm also just tired of looking at EZGBZ lately, nothing against you though ;~;

TS really freaking likes cats. He won't shut up about it. (He contributed to my quest a little so I reference him I guess???!?!?!?!)

As for makar and klop... well, they're alright and certainly work, just sort of lacking variety and diversity- a lot of the structures of the screen are very similar, although creating an open feel. They're not great, but certainly not bad, either.

#5 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

Have to vote Scootaloo. I think the detail's perfect, and it's a really appealing map despite the bit of empty spaces. And no it has nothing to do with me being referenced in the caption.

>_>
<_<

The others are fairly solid, and I love klop's for the Goomba on the map, but it's also a bit disjointed and it doesn't seem designed well in some places.
QUOTE(Scootaloo @ Apr 1 2013, 03:14 AM) View Post
TS really freaking likes cats.

Can you tell I love p—
IPB Image

#6 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

What? No votes? Noooooo!
I Voted Settra. I did this by elimination.
I couldn't vote for myself. That would be cheating.
Makarthekorok-Good base, but it seemed empty
In my personal opinion, Scootaloo wasn't as good as Lord Settra! and Hubdweyer, so I eliminated that one.
The last two were equally good, so I did a coin toss and chose Lord Settra!

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

voted for klop goomba island 5/5 #yolo

#8 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Finally! a vote!

#9 makarthekorok

makarthekorok

the korokish korok

• Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

I would have voted for klops had i not nulled mine just for the subtle cameos in it
also i just noticed i uploaded the wrong map that area was improved and a couple tiling errors were fixed... opps

#10 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

I looked through them again, and I realised that Makarthekorok's map actually has similarities to the Viridian Forest. It doesn't have that much bearing on anything, but it was something I noticed.

Also, The Sattelite, can I ask where you find that my map is not well designed? I need to change it slightly before I release it in V3 of 'An Item Fantasy'.

Edited by klop422, 02 April 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#11 Omega

Omega

Yes

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(klop422 @ Apr 2 2013, 07:09 AM) View Post

I looked through them again, and I realised that Makarthekorok's map actually has similarities to the Viridian Forest. It doesn't have that much bearing on anything, but it was something I noticed.

Also, The Sattelite, can I ask where you find that my map is not well designed? I need to change it slightly before I release it in V3 of 'An Item Fantasy'.
There's some rather flat land areas with trees or a couple objects spread around. Maybe it's the tileset limiting you there, or there needs to be better constructed land mass mixed in those areas with just trees and nothing else spread around.

As for my vote, Scootaloo gets that. I liked your map the most, however you shouldn't have left those top mountain areas blank, specially for this contest. The others didn't stand out very much, either too much or too little detail, but I commend you all for the work you put in. That takes time and can effect different ingame. But without the small screens dividing your maps up ingame, they can look rather different in a map shot.

What I'm trying to say, is that just because you don't win map of the month doesn't mean your work is bad ingame. Those are two different areas there. But for a map contest, things must look pretty in a larger context, even if your maps work and look good ingame when playing. I've got some cool stuff that doesn't look great in a map, but ingame things flow fine. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Franky, 02 April 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#12 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(klop422 @ Apr 2 2013, 10:09 AM) View Post
Also, The Satellite, can I ask where you find that my map is not well designed? I need to change it slightly before I release it in V3 of 'An Item Fantasy'.

It just feels like some of your detail placement seems a bit arbitrary and haphazard, even for Classic. And there's the diagonal stretch of rock near the bottom right, the white area, it just... doesn't look right. At all. That's about all I can say, though.

#13 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

Do you mean the Greylands or the Hammer Temple Exterior?
The Greylands is the Grey bit with the Maze path at the bottom and the Dungeon at the top.
Hammer Temple is the Island with the gap and Dungeon on it.

#14 Hoff123

Hoff123

The Hoff :)

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:09 PM

Voted for Scootaloo. I liked that map the most icon_smile.gif.

And Klop, your map feels a little empty(thinking mostly of the middle icon_smile.gif), but maybe it's supposed to be? Were you trying to design a "Hyrule Field" in the middle? Anyway, it still wasn't bad, but since this is a contest for best map of the month, only the best will win... And please don't take it too harsh, it's not bad, just not awesome icon_smile.gif.

Edited by Hoff123, 04 April 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#15 klop422

klop422

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

I haven't taken any offence at this. In fact, I'm taking it as advice.
And yes, it was meant to be a Hyrule field in the middle. I should have trees, shouldn't I?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users