Photo

Map of the Month 33

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: MotM 33 (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Professor Bedwetter

Professor Bedwetter

Strangers when we meet

• Members

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Wow, first time posting, and I post late!

Russ
One might question calling an area this mountainous a field, but this is Hyrule. They do crap like this.

Rydia
Everything has been shrunken down! icon_eek.gif

The Satellite
Tile errors are inevitable as this is the ALttP set. Authenticity is a must!

Guardian
Search the treacherous Nollate Wasteland...

Octorockoncrack
A frozen lake at the base of Mt. Hylia.

#2 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Guardian and Octorockoncrack's maps are my favorites, but I voted for Guardian.

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

Oh boy! I'm so hungry, I'm going to vote for Octorok!

#4 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Guardian: voted
Russ: a bit empty.
Rydia: oh gosh not a Alttp tiles(i dont like these tiles)
Octorockoncrack: a bit little variation for such a huge area
The Satellite: Oh gosh no variation, extremely empty and to top it off it uses the horrible Alttp tiles(which are nearly as bad as classic)

Edited by aaa2, 02 October 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#5 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

Russ - Very nice! Mountainous isn't a problem; you could call it Hyrule Plateau instead of Hyrule Field.
Rydia - Cool! icon_smile.gif Here's one to nostalgia! Interesting how you got all that to fit!
TS - It's okay for a start. I'd agree that it seems a bit empty. I like the tiles, though.
Guardian - Very very nice! It's original, and it looks great! icon_biggrin.gif
Octo - Cool! (in more ways than one icon_smile.gif ) I haven't seen a frozen lake in a Zelda game before. Well, I've seen it in one ZC quest before (by MoscowModder), but I don't think it was this big! Quite nice, indeed. icon_smile.gif

You may be able to guess which one I voted for. (If not, look at the smilies.)

#6 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

I don't understand what's going on with the mountains on the left side of Russ' shot :/

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

They're supposed to be dropping down, like the edge of a mountain. Is it too hard to make out? Do you have any suggestions for a better way to handle it?

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 2 2012, 10:12 PM) View Post

I don't understand what's going on with the mountains on the left side of Russ' shot :/
They kinda look terrible to me...just to be honest. icon_frown.gif

Edited by Dwaggyniet, 02 October 2012 - 09:35 PM.

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Well hey, I'm open to suggestions. If you know of a better way to pull it off, I'm all ears.

#10 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

Russ: Personally I think they're fine, but try to make the height of them a little shorter.

I nulled, all of them are look too good to decide. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Shane, 02 October 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#11 nicklegends

nicklegends

Trofessional Pransposer

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

Russ
The map is aesthetically pleasing, though the LTTP perspective does make the cliffs look odd. It's not really your fault; just a consequence of the choice of perspective used throughout the set.

Rydia
The map is a pretty faithful rendition of the LTTP overworld considering ZC's limitations. The screens are easily distinguishable, which is a nice feature of the original map. I definitely appreciate and admire the effort. (FYI, there are some tree tops missing north of the flute grotto and again on the screen north of that. Of course, knowing the original LTTP map, this is just fine because you can't travel directly between the two screens.)

The Satellite
It's a nice open-air map, but I find it a bit bare. Maybe a few additional trees would "spruce" things up?

Guardian
Nice map! The similarity in color between the dirt and the cliffs is a little confusing, especially where the two meet, but the design is nice and open, with detail that doesn't smother the player.

Octorockoncrack
What you have here is a very aesthetically-pleasing map. It definitely captures the cold, icy feel of a frozen area. I'm not sure how I feel about the tree placement. I guess the randomness is pretty natural, but the trees feel like they were sprinkled out like confetti... I really don't know how to put it. :/

It's a tough decision for me this month... I think I will side with Ocrotockoncrack, though. It's just pretty to look at and captures its environment well.

#12 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 2 2012, 08:29 PM) View Post
They're supposed to be dropping down, like the edge of a mountain. Is it too hard to make out? Do you have any suggestions for a better way to handle it?
It's just the perspective is completely wrong, with the lines being horizontal. I'd either have them come straight down and put some background graphic (far away grass/trees or something) similar to a JRPG perspective, or vary it up with multiple ledges and other detail, more similar to deserty mountain on the right. Does that make sense?

#13 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE(Russ @ Oct 2 2012, 08:41 PM) View Post

Well hey, I'm open to suggestions. If you know of a better way to pull it off, I'm all ears.

Hmm i think slightly darkening the back wall should suffice, but this is just a guess.

#14 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 3 2012, 04:12 AM) View Post

It's like BoaB in all it's glory all over again.

I voted for Rydia. Cool concept. It might profit of custom palettes just to make it a little more spicy. Mmmhm, colors.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Yoshimi @ Oct 3 2012, 02:28 AM) View Post

It's like BoaB in all it's glory all over again.

I'm both amused and insulted.

QUOTE(NoeL @ Oct 3 2012, 12:49 AM) View Post

It's just the perspective is completely wrong, with the lines being horizontal. I'd either have them come straight down and put some background graphic (far away grass/trees or something) similar to a JRPG perspective, or vary it up with multiple ledges and other detail, more similar to deserty mountain on the right. Does that make sense?

Hrm... I like the ledges idea, actually. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users