Photo

Hardware question for all

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: THE NUMBERS, MASON? WHAT DO THEY MEAN?

What do you use to play ZC

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Majora

Majora

Unironic Marxist-Leninist

• Members

Posted 05 February 2024 - 05:26 AM

How do you play zc

#2 connor.clark

connor.clark

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 February 2024 - 05:30 AM

When I'm actually playing a game, I'm on my couch with a controller. Otherwise I just use keeb unless I'm unbreaking controller support for the umpteenth time.
  • Majora likes this

#3 Joelmacool

Joelmacool

Addicted to Overwatch

• Moderators

Posted 05 February 2024 - 06:27 AM

Keyboard, but no mouse. I have the arrow keys for movement, Left Ctrl and Left Alt for the A and B buttons, and Z and X for the L and R buttons. 

I was thinking of trying out the controller, seems like a fun way to play quests, but I never got around to it lmao

• Majora likes this

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 February 2024 - 08:40 AM

solo keyboard all the way lol

#5 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 05 February 2024 - 08:44 AM

Firstly, the only time I've ever used a controller was for the first three modern Yakuza games (0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2.)  where the keyboard rebindings wouldn't have worked.  Then there was Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, where I was more used to Symphony of the Night , and maybe some Ori.  Good ol' Metroidvania games.

Otherwise, I'm totally keyboard and mouse, through and through. 

For ZC:   RCtrl for sword, RShift for items.   Period and forward slash for L/R item swapping.  Delete, End, Insert, and Home for Ext1 through Ext4.   Space for map, Enter for menu.  I think that's about it.

I need to investigate using Z and X for sword and item from now on.  Might be a bit more responsive.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 05 February 2024 - 02:11 PM

I always play on my laptop, with keyboard, usually with my laptop on my lap. I usually play games with a controller, but I've been doing ZC for so, so very long, long before I had access to controllers, that anything else just feels wrong. I've got A and B bound to X and Z. For 2.50 and older quests, I tend to have L and R bound to Left Shift and S, but for 2.55 quests with ABXY buttons, I have X and Y bound to Left Shift and S instead, with L and R on A and D. Spacebar for Map and Enter for Start.

#7 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 February 2024 - 02:46 PM

If a game doesn't have dual-stick (move/camera) controls (usually then requiring it be a 3D game), I'm not using a controller for it. Learned this the hard way after I couldn't do a single walljump in Super Metroid on controller, while on keyboard I can go up a single wall fairly quickly without any issues. Controllers just suck for 2D imo.

• ShadowTiger likes this

#8 slashi

slashi

Initiate

• Members

Posted 05 February 2024 - 02:51 PM

Wow way more keyboard users than I thought. I always used a controller for pretty much anything that isn't FPS/CRPG/RTS. So controller for me.

#9 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 05 February 2024 - 04:13 PM

i haven't played zc in years but i would definitely use a controller if i were going to

#10 xanadude

xanadude

heh

• Members

Posted 05 February 2024 - 04:50 PM

Wow this was genuinely surprising, I knew tons of people were keyboard-pilled but I didn't realize how many. I have def used keyboard before, but my preference has always been controller. I've used PS4 controllers and Nintendo ones, but my favorite and most recent purchase is the 8bitdo SN30 Pro. Perfect for 2D games and modeled after the Super Nintendo controller. Feels just as good, if not better too.

#11 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 05 February 2024 - 05:05 PM

As a keyboard user, I'd like to get something similar to the SNES controller. I feel any other controller would feel wrong for ZC.

#12 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 05 February 2024 - 06:41 PM

if i had a usb snes controller id probably use it for zc. but otherwise, just keyboard.

#13 connor.clark

connor.clark

Junior

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 February 2024 - 08:08 PM

The controller brand xanadude mentioned, 8bitdo, is good for that. They have a range of simple controller styles.

#14 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators

Posted 05 February 2024 - 09:13 PM

for me, it is the logitech submarine controller. the ultimate device for zc gaming
  • Russ likes this

#15 Colin

Colin

Coblin the Goblin

• Members

Posted 06 February 2024 - 01:43 PM

I use gamepads as much as possible now. My hands suck

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users