Un-synced Combo Cycling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

I'm not even sure if this is really possible, but I've seen it done, so I'm wondering how I can do it myself.

I'm trying to do the trick where you push a block over lava, the lava changes into ground (this works just fine,) then have it cycle back to lava. The problem that occurs is that when I push the block, the under combo has already cycled and is already lava, or one of the cyclings in between ground and lava. When I tried a different way, the combos would cycle together behind the block I was pushing instead of cycling one after the other.

Is there actually a way to fix this?

This also applies to timed secrets. Sometimes, depending on what time you hit the switch, burn the torch, etc., the secret will hold out for the full cycle length, but sometimes, the secret would be timed out much quicker than that because it is triggering a partly cycled combo. So really what I'm asking is: can you make combos cycle from when they were created instead of them cycling with the universal cycling?

Sorry if this is confusing... If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please tell me what I can do. It would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

If it is 2.10 or below, you need to put the combos as 2 frames, and make them cycle through each other. Otherwise it just goes to a random tile in the animation.
Hope that helps.

#3 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 12:38 PM

Yup, I've been doing that... Unfortunately, it still doesn't start in the right place. It's not 'random' because the tiles cycle together, but it rarely starts at the begining.

#4 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 02:01 PM

I'll try and walk you through this.

If you have downloaded the DoR tileset and have had a look through the tiles, you should see that the opening door animations are made of several combos cycling through each other. This is done as (for some reason) cycling combos in 2.10 and below makes them start at a random tile in the animation-really annoying. I don't think they go directly to the last tile in the animation, but if they do, it won't be much of a difference. So, just put the combos as 2 frames each and you'll be fine.

With your first problem, you need to make the combos animate for more than one frame. Put the animation speed high to make the change happen slowly.

Hope that helps.

#5 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hmmmmm... I spent the greater half of my afternoon trying to figure this out. Well, I got it to work but, uh, I don't think it did it in a very efficient way, and I don't think I did what you said either... although it may have worked better. Eh... Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Basically, all I did was use combos for frames instead of tiles. I have like 40 combos that cycle through, all that just use 2 frames and have a frame rate of 1. Works great but uses a lot of combos. Again, oh well. If anyone understands this, and thinks it is actually useful, I hope this helps you out down the line. (By the way, I'm using the classic tileset... yeah...)

#6 Schwa

Schwa

Enjoy the Moment more. This strengthens Imagination.

• Members

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:52 AM

Personally I find that it's easier AND looks nicer to have like 10 combos with a rate of 4. You can save combos that way, there's less to keep track of, and the animation doesn't happen so fast.

I see your problem and am visualizing it in my head how to get it to work... It seems like it would be fine if I did it the way I'm thinking of. icon_shrug.gif

But if you got it to work fine, I'm happy for you. icon_smile.gif

#7 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:41 PM

I tried less combos with a slightly higher frame rate first... but for some reason, it just didn't work out. It's working fine for me now though, so well, in fact, that I've started to create some fairly evil puzzles using my new lava blocks!

#8 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 03 September 2007 - 04:08 PM

Actually, the problem is that it doesn't start at a random frame- Upon starting a quest, all combos in the quest file begin animating. They do not cycle until seen on-screen. When you change screens, the animations freeze. So, say you had a combo that had ten frames and went to the next tile in the animation every 3 seconds, plus, it cycles to a bush. If you put a Bush on the screen, have the undercombo be the previously-mentioned animating one.... If you were to play the quest and wait 6 seconds before slashing the bush, it'd already be on frame 3 in the Animation, because 6 seconds passed, and it goes to the next frame every THREE seconds.

So yeah, there's only one answer to the problem...

Waste combos by using combos that have 2 frames only and have an animation rate of either 0 or 1. It's the only way to make it look right, I'm afraid! At least, right now. Now, if there was a flag that made them animate only when they appear on a screen, it'd be a HECK of a lot better than wasting combos. But alas, wasting combos is all you can do to fix it right now. But it's worth it. You get a LOT of combos to work with, AND you get the satisfaction of having something look good and animates SMOOTHLY. icon_wink.gif

#9 TheOnlyOne

TheOnlyOne

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

Yeah, I pretty much figured all that out through tests and crap... I knew about the universal animation to begin with, I just didn't know how to deal with it. What you said is basically what I did, you just stated it a lot better than I ever could. Anyway, I got it to work just fine now, so we're all happy. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users