2D Zelda Higher Resolution Community Project

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:15 AM

Hmm... I like it but Links head looks like the Boomerang Flower from Mario...
  • Koh likes this

#32 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:50 AM

Hmm... I like it but Links head looks like the Boomerang Flower from Mario...

Loled hard after googling that.  I'll have to see if there's anything I can do to round that out better; I already changed a lot of pixels when filling the vertical space XD.

• Matthew likes this

#33 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

Maybe you could round out Link's Chin and make his ears thinner!

#34 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 April 2016 - 02:39 PM

Seems to be at a strange sweetspot.  If you add two pixels to that row, it looks like he has no chin and has chubby cheeks, and if you take two pixels away, it looks too small.  

#35 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

Cleaned up his ears and tried fixing his chin a bit.

EFCEw0H.pngy2HH7Of.gif

I should mention that another one of the reasons I'm staying close to the original, besides the addition of extra detail making it look awkward on such a simple sprite, is to give off the enhanced PC version vibe from the days of old.  You know, how games that also got DOS or Windows ports when they were also available on the older systems; the graphics were at a x2 resolution compared to their console/arcade counter parts, but were mostly the same, just finer looking.  For example, compare the title screens of the Arcade/Megadrive version of Puyo Puyo Tsu, to the Windows Version.

Puyo_Puyo_Tsuu_(Arcade)-title.pngpp2-title.png

They didn't add any extra details, they just cleaned up the existing ones and made the title look finer overall.

Same for the ingame graphics.

pp2-harpy.png

That's the sort of approach I want to take with my own high res graphics, so it can still feel like the original, but not feel so boxy and stout, lol.

Edited by Koh, 16 April 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#36 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

Well, seeing is believing, so why don't we just try a bit of everything, with proof that it doesn't look good.

First, the base with no changes.
hyueB8s.png

Alright, so lets try some fingers.
q5fs1Rk.png

Looks awkward doesn't it?  It's just one pixel for the right hand (on the left) and three on the left hand (on the right).  Maybe a poor choice of color, perhaps?  Would it look better if it were the green instead of the black?

bhqtl3w.png

Sort of, but you can barely tell they're even there.  And in the world of spriting, if that's the case, it's the same as it just not existing at all, so those are out.

Well, how about we try a mouth?

Ro9OQ8p.png

Now his expression looks less neutral and a bit different, even though it's just two pixels.  We can try changing the color again.

IV9y75V.png

Not as dreadful as before, but once again, it's not adding anything of value being there compared to when nothing was there before.

Well, what about extending his hair details?

pYp0Nbd.png

More of a match to his hairstyle in the artwork, with sideburns identified.  This is the one edit that seems at least decent, but then when you think about how the sprite is animated (flipping), you realize that the non-symmetrical nature of it will make the animation look awkward.

Edited by Koh, 17 April 2016 - 12:31 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#37 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

If you're looking for critiques, I don't like any f them. They're awkward and just don't...work right, I feel like. Sorry.

• Shane likes this

#38 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:12 PM

Exactly my point with those extra details.  They only really work when you have more colors to work with, and can thus apply them subtly.  As seen with the evolution of the Warrior for FF1.

CVt3OzE.png

Since the PSP sprite on the far right has more colors, it has more room to add more subtle details, like the fingers, extra hair strands, and so on.  If it used the same 15 colors from the original PS1 sprites in the middle, they wouldn't have been able to add them without them looking awkward.

• Matthew likes this

#39 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:26 PM

Then...why don't you just remake the GB Link sprites instead of complaining how it has no colors? :P

• Shane likes this

#40 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 April 2016 - 01:34 PM

Because that's cheating and too easy, lol.  The challenge to shape things out better and potientially add more detail within the old palette is more interesting to me C=.  I  mean, anyone can take the LTTP palette for example, and use that on the new size GBC Link sprite and make it look good.  But to do it with the original colors is more impressive~

Edited by Koh, 17 April 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#41 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:40 PM

Worked on adding more detail without actually cluttering up the space.  Use of anti-aliasing and shading to better pronounce features instead of trying to make a garbage dump of moving pixels.

UVECnsd.png

• Matthew likes this

#42 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

I like it, Koh! It looks good :D

#43 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

Animation update for that.

wtzdZll.gif

HUD stuff.

EPId92E.png

• Matthew likes this

#44 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 30 December 2018 - 02:23 AM

What are these gonna be used for? I don't think ZC could support these for a long time.

#45 Old-Skool

Old-Skool

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 January 2019 - 06:58 PM

those rupees look very...          ovular

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users