#16 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Here it is....

GBC Bush

G3jKJc7.png

Was definitely a challenge to do the hi-res version.  Since it's a tile type thing, I decided to actually expand it outward to the outer pixels, instead of getting rid of all of them, while still shaping things out more naturally.  This is due to collision reasons; unlike Link and other non-tile entities, the hitbox on tiles cover up the whole graphic, so we'd want the edges to reach all the way out, like the original.

Edited by Koh, 11 April 2016 - 08:24 AM.

• Deedee and Matthew like this

#17 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

2uqlw5t.jpg

2zybv9x.jpg

Something feels a bit off. Thoughts?

Edited by Dimentio, 11 April 2016 - 09:03 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#18 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

It's the boxy edges and unrounded entities that make it awkward I'd say.  Like for example, the edge at top of his hat.  Instead of it being a boxy, 90 degree angle like that, it'd have looked more natural rounded off.  Also, the boxy corners really only need to exist where they did in the original, instead of all over C=.  If you take a look at the high res bush I did, for example, the tips of the top left and top right leaves, as well as the bottom left and bottom right of the center, bottom left and bottom right leaves retain the boxy corners on the refined shape.

Edited by Koh, 11 April 2016 - 09:48 AM.

#19 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 April 2016 - 04:28 PM

GBC Shovels

ogOrkER.png

Oracles Exclamation

s4pwbGF.png

Oracles Wooden Shield

He2MqwP.png

Edited by Koh, 11 April 2016 - 05:05 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#20 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:00 PM

bbc5fiO.png

Refined the Bush a bit more.  This is turning out to be really good practice for my own endeavors; this sort of shape for the bottom leaves not only enhances the topdown perspective, but also looks more natural.  And it's still all within the original, if you take it and transparently put it on top of it.  Really good lessons in anatomy with this project.

• Matthew likes this

#21 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:36 PM

Overview

Just a little something I thought would be interesting to get the community involved in for some fun. Pick any 2D Zelda graphic that you want, and upgrade it to a higher resolution. The repository of completed things would be kept in this first post, with the contributing artist identified.

Process

oQzu5Du.png

Fairly simple process, as shown above. First, locate the original graphic somewhere. Next, scale it up x2 in both dimensions. Finally, to do a smooth version, clean up the pixels so that the look is less boxy, while also shaped out a bit more where applicable. For the high resolution version, do some cleanup to make it look nice at the new resolution, bringing it back to a x1 pixel scale in the process.

Rules

Just a few basic rules to keep everything steady, and straight forward.

-You may update a previous entry if desired.

-Critiques and edits are welcome; we want the community effort to look nice, and so the community should be able to contribute with the process of getting an entry to look nice as well.

-Everything in here is free to use, with credit. Since we don't directly own the graphics anyway, since it's all stemming from official Nintendo works, everything in here must be free to use. However, if you do decide to use someone's work, give them credit for the effort they put into it!

Template

8tLG9UK.png

If you want to keep things organized as I did in the process example, feel free to download and use the template (and make it larger as needed, if your graphic is bigger) above.

Repository

[hidden='CDI Zelda'
[/hidden]

Hmm... Some CDi graphics would be entertaining, in general.

I might pop out some enemies for use with BigEnemyDX, or similar.

I presume that Pure, and EZGB palettes are the goal here. For what palette would people want 'high res' classic graphics? I ask this, as the classic palette does not lend itself to upsampling, or colour shading.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 April 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#22 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:29 PM

Just upscale it without color limits. Hell, my shaded GBC Link doesn't even fit the GBC palette.

#23 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 12 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hmm... Some CDi graphics would be entertaining, in general.

I might pop out some enemies for use with BigEnemyDX, or similar.

I presume that Pure, and EZGB palettes are the goal here. For what palette would people want 'high res' classic graphics? I ask this, as the classic palette does not lend itself to upsampling, or colour shading.

Yeah, don't worry about palettes; I'm just using things off sheets from Spriter's Resource.  I don't change or add to the colors that are present on the sprites in the sheet.

GBC Bombs

JTpcIej.png

Even the elusive Gold and Silver bombs from Oracle of Ages (which I literally Walk-Through-Wall gamesharked last night, just to get my hands on those sprites, lol).  What would those have functionally done anyway?  Maybe silver for ice element explosions, and gold for electric explosions?

• Matthew likes this

#24 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:57 PM

I'm guessing no function and just an image to show onscreen for the fairy to hold/levitate when she asks if you dropped a gold/silver/normal bomb.

EDIT: Incidentally, what engine will use these double-size graphics?

Edited by Cukeman, 13 April 2016 - 01:39 AM.

#25 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:41 AM

GBC Sword Slash

AWF6zKO.png

If I had the Biggoron Sword sprites, I'dve included them with this.

Whatever you want them for C=

Edited by Koh, 13 April 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#26 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

My version of hi-res Link.

slXMy4L.png

Now THIS is a challenge.  His original proportions are already a bit awkward, but given the extra space, and the need to fill it all vertically in hi-res for collision reasons, we get an interesting restriction and result.

• Matthew likes this

#27 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:46 PM

slXMy4L.png

This is where things get tricky. A lot of simple objects look fine when you upscale them, you're not really gonna get much more detail on a double-size toon key for instance, but just looking at this Link sprite I can see there are design decisions being made because they only had so many pixels to work with. The belt and the brim of the hat, and the sleeves for instance, there was no way they could black outline the belt in the original graphics without covering all the green of the tunic, but I'm sure they would if they were made at double-size to begin with, they'd add a nose a hint of finger separation and eye highlights.

I know you're trying to be true to the original graphics, but the design of the original graphics uses techniques to imply detail you don't see, the design purpose was to represent the figure as accurately as they could in the pixel space, so to be true to the original design purpose you'd have to add new details on certain upscaled sprites and tiles.

Not saying you have to do this, or that it's bad. Just something to think about. I wanna try my hand at this Link sprite later and see what I can come up with... when I get a homework break :P

• Moonbread, Shane and Jared like this

#28 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

It ends up looking awkward if you do any of those things, believe it or not; you only gain like one pixel worth of extra space in reality, lol.  You're welcome to try it and see for yourself, but the only real way to add extra details in like that is if the sprite is completely overhauled, like Final Fantasy PSP remake sprites, instead of stemming from the original.

Edited by Koh, 13 April 2016 - 03:21 PM.

#29 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:17 PM

I'm guessing no function and just an image to show onscreen for the fairy to hold/levitate when she asks if you dropped a gold/silver/normal bomb.

ZC is already capable of using larger graphics in place of most game object sprites. I'm unsure of the ultimate gain, as you quarter your real estate in such conversions. It might makefora good hack and slash dungeoncrawler, with the ultra-fast scrlling rule. Preparing custom door, and other combos, that work in 2x, 1x2, or 2x2 is trickier.

#30 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:12 AM

Updated this with some minor fixes.

mOzELbu.png

Then did this...

T2pr8Rs.png

Am focusing on just the hi-res versions now, since that's the area I want to practice most.  This one was even harder, and I'm still not sure what I could do to shape out the hat near the brim any better.  But for funsies, have these also.

bAxD8xu.gif1GGTkAa.gif

Edited by Koh, 15 April 2016 - 11:13 AM.

• Matthew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users