• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

Overview

Just a little something I thought would be interesting to get the community involved in for some fun.  Pick any 2D Zelda graphic that you want, and upgrade it to a higher resolution.  The repository of completed things would be kept in this first post, with the contributing artist identified.

Process

oQzu5Du.png

Fairly simple process, as shown above.  First, locate the original graphic somewhere.  Next, scale it up x2 in both dimensions.  Finally, to do a smooth version, clean up the pixels so that the look is less boxy, while also shaped out a bit more where applicable.  For the high resolution version, do some cleanup to make it look nice at the new resolution, bringing it back to a x1 pixel scale in the process.

Rules

Just a few basic rules to keep everything steady, and straight forward.

-You may update a previous entry if desired.

-Critiques and edits are welcome; we want the community effort to look nice, and so the community should be able to contribute with the process of getting an entry to look nice as well.

-Everything in here is free to use, with credit.  Since we don't directly own the graphics anyway, since it's all stemming from official Nintendo works, everything in here must be free to use.  However, if you do decide to use someone's work, give them credit for the effort they put into it!

Template

8tLG9UK.png

If you want to keep things organized as I did in the process example, feel free to download and use the template (and make it larger as needed, if your graphic is bigger) above.

Repository

CDI Zelda

GBA Zelda

GBC Zelda

GC Zelda

NES Zelda

SNES Zelda

Edited by Koh, 23 April 2016 - 11:12 PM.

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

Updated the GBC Green Rupee

VEWTNaO.png

Did  the GBC Heart Pickup

ZUeXOov.png

Edited by Koh, 10 April 2016 - 04:41 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#3 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

I will be trying this today! (After homework and chores, of course.)
  • Koh likes this

#4 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:52 PM

Of course, everyone can jump in whenever.  This is all for fun~  And who knows, maybe you'll see your effort in a playable thing someday.  This is it for me today.

GBC Zelda Blue and Red Rupees

z5VKAxj.png

GBC Zelda Leaf

HQmL2ur.png

Oracles Small Key

4MejeWX.png

• Matthew likes this

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

2lubfnr.jpg

Edited by Dimentio, 10 April 2016 - 06:04 PM.

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:14 PM

Nice of you to join in~  Seems like what you attempted is a smooth resolution sort of deal, instead of a high resolution version, which could be a separate, sister project to this one, actually.  Or maybe, we could include it here, and update the template...hmmm, what do you guys think?

As for the entry itself, there are some weird edges and some blockiness is still present.  When doing smoooth versions, don't be afraid to alter some edge pixels for a rounder shape, where applicable C=.  Still, added it to the respository~

Edited by Koh, 10 April 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#7 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:52 PM

Gave it some thought, and I guess it couldn't hurt to allow for both versions.  Updated the template and my things so far.

Template

8tLG9UK.png

GBC Blue and Red Rupees

sdPwaN0.png

GBC Green Rupee

H0I8Uco.png

GBC Heart Pickup

pCM5ZvB.png

GBC Leaf

dQhHknK.png

Oracles Small Key

W0ZI8Io.png

Edited by Koh, 10 April 2016 - 08:22 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#8 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:27 PM

mshkzp.jpg

2hdpn5v.jpg

2ahxhmb.jpg

Smooth, High Res, and High Res Shaded.

EDIT: Also, you put a leaf image for the small key image.

Edited by Dimentio, 10 April 2016 - 07:29 PM.

#9 Matthew

Matthew

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hmm... here's my first attempt at increased the resolution.

qjiw2cX.png?1

EDIT

Here is a set of more items!

yk2Jcnw.png

EDIT 2

And here's another. I'm not sure I like these as much as the other tiles.

SgT1mGp.png

EDIT 3

And here is my last one for tonight!

P0CkUTh.png

Edited by FlameCursed, 10 April 2016 - 09:39 PM.

• Koh, Joelmacool and Deedee like this

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

Looks pretty good for your first try; I'll add them to the respository now.  There are some tweaks that could be made to give them a better shape, which I'll demonstrate tomorrow for you using those same items, to help you out with the process.  It seems like you mostly just got rid of the outer pixels (especally apparent on the last set of items), which you do end up doing most of the time, but sometimes you actually have to shape things out better, given the new extra space.  I was actually going to do the Wooden Sword next (just kinda doing random sprites off the spritesheet from Spriter's Resource, lol.).

Edit:  Ahh, what the heck, here's the Wooden Sword for an example of what I mean.

0sEdL0v.png

Since it's a vertical entity, you're most definitely chopping off the outer pixels on the far left and right of the sprite.  However, with the space now, you can definitely identify the tip of the sword, and the edge of the hilt better.  Some slight alterations to the shading on the tip gives the diamond-looking tip swords usually have, and finally, the little bar part between the blade and hilt, shown in a bit more of a topdown fashion by one pixel.  Hope this helps~  Of course, I'll be adding both versions to the respository =).

Edited by Koh, 10 April 2016 - 09:54 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#11 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

2efmk5k.jpg

14dk8kw.jpg

First image was an attempt to improve the shading, second does that and reduces the size of the left foot, so as to seem behind Link. Thoughts? Am I doing this shading thing right? 

• Matthew likes this

#12 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

Wow, there's so many different ways to do the same object. Each one I look at I think, 'huh, I would've done it this other way'.

• Tree likes this

#13 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:10 PM

2efmk5k.jpg

14dk8kw.jpg

First image was an attempt to improve the shading, second does that and reduces the size of the left foot, so as to seem behind Link. Thoughts? Am I doing this shading thing right? 

Seems pretty good to me; light source is the top left, yes?  Interesting how you made shades of the 8-bit colors, instead of giving it 16-bit makeover.  IS this an update to the old shaded one?

Wow, there's so many different ways to do the same object. Each one I look at I think, 'huh, I would've done it this other way'.

Yup exactly, which is why I just removed the statement about picking one that hasn't been done.  So if you want to take a crack at something already done, you can.  Lots of different interpretations are possible, and people who want to use anything from here would probably pick the one they like most out of the options they're given~

• Cukeman likes this

#14 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

Seems pretty good to me; light source is the top left, yes?  Interesting how you made shades of the 8-bit colors, instead of giving it 16-bit makeover.  IS this an update to the old shaded one?

Yes, and yes. Any suggestions on improvements? I'm a noob at spriting.

Also, which one looks better? Top image, or Bottom image?

Edited by Dimentio, 10 April 2016 - 10:28 PM.

#15 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 10 April 2016 - 10:31 PM

The bottom one, as it does add a bit more character and top-down perspective to the pose.  Any other edits I'm thinking of, I'm not quite sure yet.  The anatomy on GBC Link was awkward in some instances, like in that pose, so I'm not exactly sure what kind of edits would need to happen until I try it myself.  Maybe tomorrow, after I do the bush.  Yes, the bush was my next goal~

Edited by Koh, 10 April 2016 - 10:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users