Hurricane Katrina

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#16 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:59 PM

I bet my grandparents are lucky they moved from Florida 50 years ago when my dad was born.

But then again they were only there because my Grandpa was in the Air Force back then and they let him come home for 2 days.

Edited by Daniel, 28 August 2005 - 09:01 PM.

#17 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

They are talking about it on the news right now...

I would hate to be living there right now... Why do people even bother...

#18 Top Kirby

Top Kirby

Doyen(ne)

• Banned

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:20 PM

New Orleans has a LOT of cleaning up to do once Katrina clears out of there. It's gonna be a Tropical Storm/Depression soon and that means torrential rain for most of the southeast and massive flooding.....plus potential for tornadoes. X_X;;

In some ways Tropical Storms can be more dangerous then Hurricanes in the aspect that they move much slower and have more time to dump rain in one place. X_X;;

#19 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:10 PM

Yeah, I've heard that New Orleans is up to its ceiling (whatever that means. icon_odd2.gif ) in water. EVERYTHING is totally flooded out. Water pumps are under water. icon_odd.gif How Horrible ...

Thankfully though, Hurricane Katrina is now "Tropical Storm" Katrina. Come to New York please. My plants need watering.

#20 Cmb_maniac

Cmb_maniac

Experienced Forumer

• Members

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE(Top Kirby @ Aug 29 2005, 01:20 PM)
New Orleans has a LOT of cleaning up to do once Katrina clears out of there.  It's gonna be a Tropical Storm/Depression soon and that means torrential rain for most of the southeast and massive flooding.....plus potential for tornadoes.  X_X;;

Those poor people. Why do they even live there anyway? If they want to get some sun and beach, move to California (but only if you consider earthquakes better)...

#21 Top Kirby

Top Kirby

Doyen(ne)

• Banned

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

I'm watching the Weather Channel right now and my god, the aftermath that I'm viewing is god awful. A frikkin water tower collapsed, trees everywhere, houses underwater, cars and trucks overturned, people looking for friends and relatives, it is utter chaos. ;-;

Luckily, Katrina is now a Tropical Depression as it moves further into the northeast. Apparently, the rain and tornado threat continues but at least the winds have died down tremedously.

#22 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:20 PM

Yes, yes, they have. Thank god. It'll be passing right through Pennsylvania soon as well. It'll miss New York City by quite a bit. I hope everyone in its path will be alright. But that's pretty much all we can do, really. :\

Isn't it amazing, how a single fallen tree can pretty much knock out the power for an entire neighborhood? It's pretty freaky like that. One tree. One fallen tree.

#23 Top Kirby

Top Kirby

Doyen(ne)

• Banned

Posted 30 August 2005 - 01:35 PM

That is quite freaky.

It's amazing how much the water did compared to the winds.
Storm Surge and Flooding caused more problems then the catastrophic winds. Of course, now Tornados and Severe Thunderstorms are gonna be a problem for the Carolinas and Virginia (Where I'am....help!) O_O;;

#24 Monica

Monica

Senior

• Members

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:17 PM

I live in Northeast Louisiana and we got it yesterday. Not horrible, but our electricity went out twice, cable went out, and I think my computer got fried because it can't boot Windows, it just stays on the Dell screen. The other two computers survived though. I'm just grateful that that's all we got. People were fleeing to my town for shelter.

#25 Top Kirby

Top Kirby

Doyen(ne)

• Banned

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:54 PM

Wow, damn that must have been scary. o_O;;

Thank god you are ok Monica, I just hope everyone else in your area is doing well too.

#26 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 08:55 AM

Indeed. icon_smile.gif

The storm is surging through New York right this very minute. It's a bit to the west of New York, but the effects are definitely visible. The rain was ... very impressive, to say the least, and the clouds were just zipping by. Very beautiful to behold. Heck, I'd even seen folks without coats on. icon_razz.gif icon_xd.gif ... (And here I am, wearing shorts. icon_sweat.gif icon_rolleyes.gif ... Meh.

It should be out of our minds by Thursday night. The damage, however, .. is not. :\

New Orleans has been damaged beyond belief. The devastation is beyond enormous. The superdome has been evacuated due to internal flooding and unsafe conditions. The ports have been closed, and coffee cannot get through, along with numerous other products.

#27 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE(Cmbmaniac)
Those poor people. Why do they even live there anyway? If they want to get some sun and beach, move to California (but only if you consider earthquakes better)...

It's more like power-outages rather than earthquakes (In terms of the "worse" stuff). But, we do get the occasional weak earthquake here and there.

#28 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:06 AM

Out here in Western New York (Buffalo, Niagara Falls, and the surrounding areas) there has been a lot of rain lately, as these are the effects that BH4 is talking about. Luckily it has not gone beyond heavy rain. No hurricane could ever reach this far inland.

#29 venom343

venom343

Senior

• Members

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:34 AM

were getting whats left of Katrina up here today, its nothing much just a little rain.

#30 Top Kirby

Top Kirby

Doyen(ne)

• Banned

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

Thank god it's over, but man oh man.....I just wish there was more we could do for New Orleans and all the other areas on the Gulf. ;-;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users