Cockroach controlled by Twitter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Some find cockroaches repulsive, others think they're adorable, and still others see them as an opportunity to make a statement about the relationship between humans and social media. Artist Brittany Ransom outfitted a cockroach with a little backpack called RoboRoach that could control its movement by stimulating its antennae. Then, Ransom hooked the system up to Twitter, and allowed users to control the roach by sending tweets marked with the hashtags #TweetRoachLeft and #TweetRoachRight.

http://www.theverge....overstimulation

I have to say, this is the most unique article I've come across all day. Has anybody else heard of this?

#2 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

That picture scared me half to death....I really hate roaches.

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

The goal, Ransom said, was to see if the roach would learn to block out Twitter's overstimulation in the same way the humans do

And yet the article doesn't say if he did. icon_frown.gif

It's a really interesting experiment actually. The twitter part especially, it's something I wouldn't have thought of. And I really want to know what the results of it were now.

#4 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Dec 29 2012, 03:52 PM) View Post

And yet the article doesn't say if he did. icon_frown.gif

It's a really interesting experiment actually. The twitter part especially, it's something I wouldn't have thought of. And I really want to know what the results of it were now.

You know, I was so distracted by the absurdity that I didn't even realize that. I wonder if she just hasn't compiled the results yet.

#5 XMSB

XMSB

Furry Friends Furever

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

It must have taken a lot of work to attach that mind-control chip to that roach's back. And how that roach was being controlled via Twitter, sounds like this person was taking mind-control to the extreme. By the way, I think it's pretty cool how those guys in that Youtube video controlled that roach remotely with that Roboroach technology.

QUOTE(Koh @ Dec 29 2012, 11:42 AM) View Post

That picture scared me half to death....I really hate roaches.

Yeah, I don't really like roaches either, especially not the ones that are considered household pests! But the roach in that article appears to be a Death's Head Roach.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(XMuppetSB @ Dec 29 2012, 01:21 PM) View Post

It must have taken a lot of work to attach that mind-control chip to that roach's back. And how that roach was being controlled via Twitter, sounds like this person was taking mind-control to the extreme. By the way, I think it's pretty cool how those guys in that Youtube video controlled that roach remotely with that Roboroach technology.

Well, it's not exactly mind control. It's just stimulating it's antenna, making the roach thing something's there, so it turns. It's like if there was a machine that made us see a brick wall to the right so we think "Oh, better turn left to avoid it."

#7 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

This is by far the strangest experiment I have ever read about. Also I too am interested in seeing the results.

I'm not find of roaches but I'm certainly not scared of them, I used to catch them on the porch and feed them to my tarantula. Watching a giant spider pounce on a roach is very entertaining.

#8 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE(Daniel @ Dec 29 2012, 09:24 PM) View Post

I'm not find of roaches but I'm certainly not scared of them, I used to catch them on the porch and feed them to my tarantula. Watching a giant spider pounce on a roach is very entertaining.

Quoted for awesomeness.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(DarkFlameWolf @ Dec 30 2012, 08:01 PM) View Post

Quoted for awesomeness.

Come on you can at least fix the typo I made.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users