Photo

Screenshot of the Week 64

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

Poll: Which pic? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Which pic?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:05 PM

My hidden point has been proven. I won't go into any detail as to what it was in this thread, though. (Note that the observation has nothing to do with the votes)

I bet the hidden detail is that even though you made the picture in animation, it doesn't mean that you are going to win. If that wasn't the point, then nevermind. icon_smile.gif

1. Every other quest has a lot of one color in a dungeon, and you only complain about mine. 
2. This is just a passageway room. No point taking it in ZC, as all the enemies are a few keese.
3. How do the diagonal walls not fit? 
4. How is it... "Monochromatic?"  I don't understand... as nobody seems to complain about this unless it is my quest. (No, I am not using pure in this quest...)

I think that we are just giving you advice. Don't take it so personally. If you don't want to have any comments written about yours, say so.....

#17 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Sep 15 2004, 06:05 PM)
1. Every other quest has a lot of one color in a dungeon, and you only complain about mine. 
2. This is just a passageway room. No point taking it in ZC, as all the enemies are a few keese.
3. How do the diagonal walls not fit? 
4. How is it... "Monochromatic?"  I don't understand... as nobody seems to complain about this unless it is my quest. (No, I am not using pure in this quest...)

I think that we are just giving you advice. Don't take it so personally. If you don't want to have any comments written about yours, say so.....

I didn't take it personally... I'm just confused as to why everyone keeps saying the same 4 things to me. :\

And I prefer having comments. I'd like to know what can be improved... (As long as it's not one of the four I listed, which I get far too often.

#18 HappyPuppet

HappyPuppet

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(skateboarder11 @ Sep 15 2004, 03:25 PM)
1. Every other quest has a lot of one color in a dungeon, and you only complain about mine.  icon_blink.gif

Half true. Yes, most quests have a lot of one color in a dungeon. But your screen is almost completely green, except for that arrow item and the floor bricks. Taking a look at Code's dungeon shot which is similar to yours, we have the standard red in the dungeon palette as well as the bright lava red, not to mention pots and torches which are gray and tan, and also the sprites and floor borders. Compare the color variety on your screen and his. Can you see the difference now?

I'd recommend adding torches somewhere, maybe water, anything to try to add a bit more color. Yes, there is a lot of one color in a dungeon, but if you really care about your graphics, you'll want to include some color variety on every screen you have. Torches and pots tend to help a lot with this. icon_razz.gif

#19 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(Happyman @ Sep 15 2004, 09:25 PM)
Half true. Yes, most quests have a lot of one color in a dungeon. But your screen is almost completely green, except for that arrow item and the floor bricks. Taking a look at Code's dungeon shot which is similar to yours, we have the standard red in the dungeon palette as well as the bright lava red, not to mention pots and torches which are gray and tan, and also the sprites and floor borders. Compare the color variety on your screen and his. Can you see the difference now?

I'd recommend adding torches somewhere, maybe water, anything to try to add a bit more color. Yes, there is a lot of one color in a dungeon, but if you really care about your graphics, you'll want to include some color variety on every screen you have. Torches and pots tend to help a lot with this. icon_razz.gif

Ah. I'm going to have difficulty positioning them properly, with all my diagonal walls... plus recoloring into newfirst. But if I can bring a new wall set into new1st, pots are no problem. icon_razz.gif

I'm also changing the palette soon... icon_thumbsup.gif Darker green. This one = too bright.

#20 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:10 AM

Nick: Good screen. I love the color. Very vibrant I think. Looks like a very interesting quest.

Jaivaz: Nice screen. Are those custom mountain tiles? They look cool. Maybe you might finish this Jai. Never know.

PrinceMSC: I like the tiles and the setup of the screen. Spectacular work. I don't have any problem with the black spots, it's just the tilesets personality.

codelinker: Very good screen code. I like how it is set up, and I really like the map. icon_smile.gif

Ian: Very cool screen Ian. Nice effectiveness, and good variation of trees. I like this one, I think I am going to vote for it. Very nice. icon_smile.gif

skateboarder11: Nice setup. Not much else to say really.

#21 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 16 September 2004 - 01:16 AM

Whenever I make comments on a screen, I reflexively end up providing what I hope is constructive feedback. Since entrants now have the option of requesting no comments, from here on I'm assuming that doing otherwise means you want feedback. That's all. icon_shrug.gif

As for monochromatic, it means that every color used in these dungeons is a different shade of the same green (or whatever color you choose). When I say "shade," I mean the amounts of colors change, while the proportions stay the same.

An example would be if you push the "Red" limit to max, and then create all the other wall colors in the palette by adding varying levels of blue and green in equal quantities. You could also set the blue and green levels, and then only change red using a sliding progression. In real life, no wall's color is ever that consistent... not even solid colors, because light and shadow alone can change the hue slightly, thanks to the way light reflects.

Edited by Radien, 16 September 2004 - 01:17 AM.

#22 HydraPheetz

HydraPheetz

pwhoar

• Members

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE(Nick @ Sep 15 2004, 05:25 PM)
Anyway, I voted for PrinceMSC. This shot just rocks my socks because it looks so nice. icon_eek.gif

Agreed. Of course, if there's a PrinceMSC shot, most of the time, the majority will vote for him.

Of course, I especially loved IaN's shot as well (notice the shadow being cast from the Master Sword)

#23 System Error

System Error

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:22 PM

Nick: Hmm...animation looks funky. But it doesn't matter, it probably looks better in-game. Oh yeah, make the water a little less blue. It looks too deep.

Jaivaz: Generic shot, with the exception of the mountains, which are great. Also, the raft's color looks like crap; literally, not metaphorically (so in other words, it's colored like feces). Might wanna fix that.

Prince: Damn, I'm screwed out of SoTM. icon_smile.gif Okay, but seriously, the graphics are great as per usual. The main issue I see is the horrible clashing of the dark red and light orange lava. Also, the blackness outside the room combined with the tall-looking walls makes me dizzy.

codelinker: Average shot, save for the minimap, which is awesome. Also, fix up that little bit of floor boarder near the bottom-right hand corner.

Ian: That map is great and...WHOA! Nice Master Sword. You really know how to flex those unoriginal graphics.

skateboarder11: If we ignore the inconsistancy of brightness near the tops of the diagonal walls and the horizontal/vertical walls and the diagonal walls being too thin, it's great!

I vote for Ian.

#24 SwordOfSeals

SwordOfSeals

Peace now, food later

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 07:37 PM

This week's screens are heavily unbalanced. Thus, Prince's winning is an almost garuntee.

Nick: Boring. Heh. Animation didn't win this time.

Jaivaz: Boring too. Well, not much here.

PrinceMSC: I really like this screen. It gives the illusion of a MASSIVE room, when you actaully have less room to move about icon_lol.gif . Great job, nonetheless.

codelinker: Hohum room. Pure tiles rock, but I've seen this. Next.

Ian: Nice! I see a Mastersword-pedestal-remenisque here. It just needs lts o' fog.

Skateboarder11: A room. A roomy-room, that looked of room.R-O-O-M is what it looked. And that's how I spell, NAUGHTY. Ooopppssss, too much Courage. Anywho. It's just that. A room.

#25 PrinceMSC

PrinceMSC

Remember the Name

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(BH4 @ Sep 15 2004, 11:10 AM)
Oh, Prince was defeated once before, but it was a long, long time ago.  Doesn't really matter though.

Yes, SotW 16 I lost by a few votes. I entered a BS upgraded shot of the Revenge DX. There was nothing super special about the shot. That was my second time I ever entered SotW and after the defeat, I told myself I would only enter to win. It looks like I will now have seven wins under my belt, not counting SotM.

However, after this coming up SotM, I'm going to enter a new and different type of AI screen in each SotWs. I have plenty of different screen shots to choose from. Here is what you will be up against. Interior house tiles, regular cave tiles, Ice cave tiles, almost completed dungeon tiles, regular overworld tiles, volcano like overworld tiles, moonlight overworld tiles, creepy graveyard tiles, pirate like forts and ship tiles, and some Wind Waker tiles.

I guess you could say this is your warning. I plan on winning every SotW in October, and then be the only one you can vote for in the following SotM. So you better bring the best of what you got, if you don't want me to win them all. Heh, I will own the SotWs in October!!! Mawhahaha....

... Or am I only kidding? icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_king.gif PrinceMSC icon_king.gif

#26 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 10:54 PM

... ... Has anyone ever told you that you remind people of a very shy Darth Vader, Prince? icon_razz.gif icon_lol.gif The resemblance is uncanny! icon_biggrin.gif I personally think you're bluffing, because the results will be devastating. Don't go all out, man. To use a little metaphorical parable, ( @_@ ) if I, as an Expert SSBM'ist, went up against my sister who wants to be, and beats her every time, ... she's just quit and pursue something she's better at than me.

But I'm sure that won't happen. Yes, that will not happen here. Not at all. *Snatches your rolleyes smily from your post and uses it in an ironic twist.*
... icon_rolleyes.gif ...

And congratulations, Prince, on your win. Do try to keep up the good work.

#27 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:03 PM

Well Prince, when I do get that far into MtPP, I'll have a shot with amazing spritework, and hopefully it can smash your custom scenery for once. icon_razz.gif And I have to say, it's my BEST sprite I've created.

But might I ask, what do you think of the shot in my sig?

#28 Breadguy

Breadguy

Warrior

• Members

Posted 18 September 2004 - 11:07 PM

I think the shot looks great, Poly. That is coming from me.. Very different mountain tiles, indeed. Very unique. As for Prince. I will finish you off, Prince once and for all. You are done winning SOTW. I will beat you. Mwuwahaha!!!

Umm.. I'm only kidding.. icon_biggrin.gif Congrats, Prince. Keep up the awesome tiles, you KEEP making. icon_razz.gif

#29 Mr.Descer

Mr.Descer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:39 AM

Hehe everyone knows prince cannot be beaten. So stop speculating. (I have to warn though that Mr.P has something that will stun everyone icon_wink.gif )
But I did give my vote to Ian. His shot looks the best this time. I dont like the colors and the black in Prince shot.

#30 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:01 AM

I've seen multiple shots created by other people in the last few months that were better than PrinceMSC's entry here. But none of them were appearing in this particular SOTW. icon_shrug.gif

Anyway, nothing against Prince; it's just nice to see someone compete closely with him, just because that means some damn good shots.

My hidden point has been proven. I won't go into any detail as to what it was in this thread, though. (Note that the observation has nothing to do with the votes)

Well, Nick, I would have made the same guess as Shoelace, only you said it had nothing to do with the votes. icon_shrug.gif So my only remaining conclusion is that you're talking about comments.

Personally, I may just take my curiosity to PM, because I've gotten over my extremely cynical period following the week before SOTW went on hiatus (meaning therefore I'm not keen on starting any arguments).

By the way, if anyone still cares about animations, I guess I could break my own rule once and enter an animation just to see if my hunch is correct. But if no one wants to know, I'll stick to stillframes.

Edited by Radien, 19 September 2004 - 07:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users